Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Emma steam locomotive build

Go down 
+4
French Chuffed
Paulus
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Not so much of a secret, Jean-Claude came to collect his new locomotive today and you may see it again at Railexpo.

So it was finally completed 15 days after opening the packaging. No more running unfortunately as I wanted to keep it clean and pristine. Rolling Eyes

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6010
A rather sad collection of empty bags!

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6110
I still had the battery to fit between the chassis frames at this stage hence the trailing lead at the back.

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6210
The receiver switch and charge socket were mounted onto a brass fabricated plate mounted behind the cab steps.

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6310
Fully completed!

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6410
Meet my older sister!

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6510
The new one is bigger in most dimensions than my old one.

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6610
...And considerably cleaner inside!

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6710
As said already, modern miniaturised technology and building experience permits less clutter in the cab.

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6810
The cab interior was not originally this colour but blue as the exterior was.

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma6910
My attempt at some creative photography... Question

Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Emma7010
Last pic of this machine. I can now put the tools away on this one.

What's the next project....mmm... I think I'll refurbish my Regner Emma.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:12 am

Beautiful -creative- pictures! Especially the second last one.

The finished engine looks very good. Looking forward to see it run in real.
Do you bring the old Emma also? I would love to learn how to operate live steam... (hoping for a little course on the RailExpo... )

Quote :
A rather sad collection of empty bags!
Watch it! I believe I see some left over nameplates in the lower right corner of the box!
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:37 am

Very nice indeed.

Is it possible to build a Regner kit without understanding the German instructions. I quite fancy a new steam loco.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
This picture shows the quality of the Regner parts. Compare these frames to Accucraft for example.

But at least you get all the bits when you order an ACCUCRAFT Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 9343
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:56 pm

GWhizz wrote:

But at least you get all the bits when you order an ACCUCRAFT Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 9343

.........From China Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 4221052692
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 9:04 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Very nice indeed.

Is it possible to build a Regner kit without understanding the German instructions. I quite fancy a new steam loco.

For a man of your skills David I would say certainly you can.

There are some little pitfalls but there is usually someone about that can help if necessary.

The numbered colour picture sequences and exploded diagrams make it straightforward enough and even enjoyable.
A basic (Easyline) kit like Emma could be done over a long uninterrupted weekend.

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 10:52 pm

She's a purty one. Nice piece of work, Carl. I'm sure Jean-Claude was pleased.

Looks like quite a few detail differences in addition to the size. For example, she's grown a set of headlamps and a sand dome, but appears to be missing the air compressor on the port side.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 9:29 am

He seemed very content with his new aquisition and he is going to bring it to Railexpo to run on my layout. Laughing
I am expecting another Emma from a nice chap near Paris so we will have 3 examples running.

Yes Bill there are a number of detail differences too.

The original 'Emma' was really 2 locomotives. Emma in 'G' scale representing metre gauge and 'Lena' in gauge 1 representing a standard gauge loco but both made use of the same body and chassis.... scratch

Lena was overscale and Emma underscale.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 am

How easy would it be to regauge an Emma to 32mm ?

Is it a case of shortening the spacers and axles or are there other implications ?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 10:21 am

Ooooh....That could be tricky David but not impossible.

The chassis would be possible to alter but it would very narrow afterwards. It's only about 30 mm inside the frames now. The frames are very thick.

The motion and valve gear would be the same and the straight axles would just need cutting down.

The major problem will be the pipe work between the cylinders and the turret valve. The 4 connecting pipes would have to be cut, remachined and rethreaded one end where they join the cyliber blocks.

If you have a lathe it would be possible. I'd have to check if the trurret valve will between the narrow frames though.

Best is to have a look on one of the models next week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emma steam locomotive build   Emma steam locomotive build - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Emma steam locomotive build
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2