Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spanish Occre Tram build

Go down 
+2
David Grantham
Carl Hibbs
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Spanish Occre Tram build Empty
PostSubject: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyThu Nov 20, 2008 10:23 pm

A wooden kit from Spain by Occre. Available in the UK for around £50.
This is the Madrid version which I chose as it resembles slightly some the Paris tramcars.

The kit as supllied intended as a static model but motorising it is not difficult.
Mine was to be battery powered with a possibility of overhead pick up later.
All wood and fittings are supplied. Just glue paint and patience required for reasonable model.

You open the box and this is what you get. The main illustrated instructions were in Spanish with (in my case) a French supplement. These were adequate but there were some parts that I did differently from the text and sequence.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr11

The sides need freeing from the sheets of ply and the windows cutting out from their tags. Laser cutting leaves small tags which hold the pieces in situ on the sheet. This is a tedious job. Care and safety are required with a sharp knife as the sides a quite thick.
The sides have a tumblehome which needs creating from flat ply. I soaked mine from the waist down in hot slightly soapy water for a few hours and gently bent them to shape.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr13

The sides glue to ends, I used special thin white wood glue made by Bostik, (colle de blocage in France). This comes in small plastic bottles and is used for fixing small wooden fittings in real life. Elsewhere I used superglue.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr12

A bit of fine filler on the sides to fill in a few imperfections although the wood quality is very good and generally smooth.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr14

The rounded ends were made by flat strips of 5mm ply. These are pre-cut to width but you must cut to length. There is plenty supplied.
Again with some fine filler to fill the gaps.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr17

Side view showing the body shape progressing. The roof frame is very flimsy at this stage and I was very lucky when I dropped mine!

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr16

First coat in primer and I’ve now done the clerestory part using some very nice hardwood strips. This is a loose fit to allow access to the interior later.
Don’t be shy with sanding! I used 200 then 400 grade for most of it then 1000 before final topcoats.

I‘ve also started the side frames. These are made up from hardwood strips and quite primitive whitemetal castings but with care they all fit okay.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr18

This was my original start at motorising the passive chassis.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr23

I was going add the motor later to a geared axle. These wheels at the moment are Bachmann but this was all to change after it was too flimsy and seeing Patrick’s Soller tram chassis.

So I came across this dismantled from a ‘Dickie’ train. This yielded a simple low voltage geared motor block.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr12

And cleaned up would fit just about under the tram floor.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr13

The wheels are now LGB which a truer and a better fit than the Bachman types.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat13

Back to the body and some Humbrol red undercoat.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr21

A good idea to try out the chassis too.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr22

Final paint with Humbrol red gloss. The roof was made with strips of pre-cut hardwood pinned at the ends and glued. This was then varnished using exterior satin furniture varnish from the local DIY store, sanding between coats about 10 in all.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spantr11

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat10

The brass rails were soldered up from solid rod from my stock as the supplied coil of brass wire was useless and their suggestion to superglue the horizontal rails was inept.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat18

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat30

The working trolley pole was scratchbuilt from brass as the supplied static whitemetal affair was very primitive in the least.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat34

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat35

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat33

There is some more to follow of the finished machine.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by carl hibbs on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyFri Nov 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Here's a few more pics of the conclusion.

Here we are almost finished. Front buffer, couplings and trolley pole to add.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat19

View underneath showing 3.6v battery pack, fuse, switch and charging socket.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat24

The destination box was scratchbuilt from plasticard and part of a CD case.
The white LED is 3.6v and the red LEDS are about 1.8v so are connected in series to each other and parallel to the white LED and main headlamp the opposite end to give a directional display.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat25

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat26

Some views of the completed model.

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat10

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat13

Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat17

Spanish Occre Tram build Tramma14

In company with a Bachman tram
Spanish Occre Tram build Spanat12
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 8:16 am

Carl. what a magnificent and beautifully made model.

Very very nice.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 8:20 am

Now if someone made a similar open end balcony bogie matchboard coach with droplight windows I would be ecstatic.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 3:02 pm

You should have contacted Gecomodel before they closed.
They made them in resin.
I presume you're after 'CFD metre gauge types' that run on the Baie de la Somme for example

There are an increasing number of people doing laser cutting.
This is becoming more and more accessible and affordable and I too am looking at the cost and vability of a small CO2 laser cutter for thin wood and plastic in the long term future.

There are some small machines around for less than £2000.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 9:29 pm

Beautifully built - I must admit that if I am confronted with a box of wooden parts like that then it becomes a "tomorrow" job. I 've just returned from Prague though, and have developed a real liking for their fleet of Tatra bogie trams - really nice 60s feel to them and they ride really nicely.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Time well spent ... pity to paint it, but at least there is some of that beautiful wood on show in places.

Shouldn't mind one of those kits myself.

Re: Tatra trams, I've started a new thread on East German trams in the Real Trains section.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 8:37 pm

That is VERY nice As a frequent visitor to Peurto Soller and passenger on the Ferrocarril de Soller its making me think!! Surprised
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 8:53 pm

You chaps should see Patrick Ive's (Pjti) Soller tram from the same company (Occre) as mine.
His is all varnished wood and although not finished the last time of asking it was looking pretty good.

Eh patrick?
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Still working on it now and again Carl, but the basement is a bit chilly at pres so busy doing non model stuff. I'll try to mock it up again and get a pic.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Just saw from the GR magasine adverts that Glendale Junction have OCCRE motorising kits for (from £35 - GBP's). And before you ask still no progress.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 3:38 pm

Take your time Patrick, something to look forward to. £35 is not too bad a price for a good quality motor unit.

I haven't done much lately either although I've just starting scribing a few bits of plastic today.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 4:11 pm

Actually I just checked the site and it is Glendales own kit, they consider the Occre version as too expensive at £120. The double motor version would be good if one had trailers connected. It looks like the "chassis" is from laser cut wood - but nice prices !

For Battery Power (excludes battery box, batteries and speed controller)
£35.00
For Track Power
£40.00
Double Motor Version for Battery Power (excludes battery box, batteries and speed controller)
£45.00
Double Motor Version for Track Power
£50.00
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 4:19 pm

They could have uses elswhere other than trams....mmm

Here's the link for their tram page.

Glendale motors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyFri May 01, 2009 5:05 am

carl hibbs wrote:
You should have contacted Gecomodel before they closed.
They made them in resin.
I presume you're after 'CFD metre gauge types' that run on the Baie de la Somme for example

There are an increasing number of people doing laser cutting.
This is becoming more and more accessible and affordable and I too am looking at the cost and vability of a small CO2 laser cutter for thin wood and plastic in the long term future.

There are some small machines around for less than £2000.

Didn't know that Gecomodel had closed.

I can vouch for the usefulness of CNC laser cutters.

Having access to one I've been burning myself a rake of Chemin du fer Secondaire coaches, four wheel with end balconies. I used a plan from Voie Libre and blew it up to 1:20.3

Best

Mr ACME
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptySun May 03, 2009 6:51 pm

A bit of a cheval noir Mr Ousby....

I thought you were just steam trams and Accucraft.Wink

And there you are with some very nice French 'Tramway' type coaches. What are you going to do for the underframes and running gear.?

Was the drawing in Voie Libre of the Carel and Fouché type coaches as used on the Sarthe (and elsewhere) and some are preserved at the MTVS? Yours look similar.

Monsieur Comella at Gecomodel reluctantly retired last year from full time model production.
He still makes a few odd bits privately for people on demand as he has kept all the machining equipment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptySun May 03, 2009 10:52 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
A bit of a cheval noir Mr Ousby....

I thought you were just steam trams and Accucraft.Wink

And there you are with some very nice French 'Tramway' type coaches. What are you going to do for the underframes and running gear.?

Was the drawing in Voie Libre of the Carel and Fouché type coaches as used on the Sarthe (and elsewhere) and some are preserved at the MTVS? Yours look similar.

Monsieur Comella at Gecomodel reluctantly retired last year from full time model production.
He still makes a few odd bits privately for people on demand as he has kept all the machining equipment.

Je pense un bete noir!!

The coach article is in Voie Libre no 18 of Janvier 2002.

As to the inspiration, the author writes and I quote. (Sorry about the lack of accents - I haven't quite worked out how to do acutes, graves and circumflexes yet).

"Bien que de dessin libre, mon modele est directment inspire de vehicules ayant existe sur le chemins de fer a voie metrique des tramway de Lagny a Montcerf ou du Lot et Garonne"

He goes one to write that he has simplified the models and used material popular in ) 16.5.

I used 3mm three ply cut on a CNC laser machine. The interior panels will be cut from Daler board, (An upmarket artists cardboard!). As to running gear the axleboxes and wheels are from Brandbright. the brake gear I'm making myself.

On a Sarthe theme, do you have a digital drawing of the Locomotives BLANC-MISSERON (no 50 à 58), please? If so, can I have a copy.

A bientot

Mike
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyMon May 04, 2009 7:58 am

I have the MTVS review no. 44 about the Tramway de Lagny à Montcerf.
Lots of good pics and drawings of metre gauge stock. Let me know if you want copies from that.
BTW, Lagny is the next big town east of where I live.

I don’t have a drawing specifically of no. 50 ‘Bonnetable’ but it should be generally the same as no. 60 ‘La Ferte Bernard’, the preserved one at MTVS in Valmondois.
Both being part of the same series 50-61. I have some drawings of this series which I can scan and send later if you wish.

For French accents on an English keyboard you can type them using ASCII codes.

First lock the number keyboard.
Then press and hold down the 'alt' key and at the same time type one of the following numeric codes according to which accent you want then release the 'alt' key.

These are the most commonly used accents although there are others.

130 – é

131 – â

133 – à

135 – ç

136 – ê

137 – ë

138 – è

139 – ï

140 – î

144 – É

147 – ô

150 – û

151 – ù
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyMon May 04, 2009 9:13 am

As I live next to Lagny as well, i tried to find some information about that tramway.

The only reference i found is that :

http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofsixteen00grah/historyofsixteen00grah_djvu.txt

Full text of "History of the sixteenth, the Queen's Light Dragoons ... - [ Traduire cette page ]The Regiment sent by tram to Homs. I nhealthy conditions at Horns. ...... the 3rd Corps and the Cavalry Division at Lagny, and by evening the Army had ..... 'S'audoy and Montcerf to Crecy, and thence northwards through Meaux and St. ...

I found a book related to a tramway line from Meaux to damartin en goêle, that's near as well carl.

http://boutique.geneanet.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=150_336_203_501&products_id=75081

It's the history of the lane with old photos, post card,...

Laurent
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyMon May 04, 2009 10:14 am

[quote="carl hibbs"]I have the MTVS review no. 44 about the Tramway de Lagny à Montcerf.
Lots of good pics and drawings of metre gauge stock. Let me know if you want copies from that.
BTW, Lagny is the next big town east of where I live.

I don’t have a drawing specifically of no. 50 ‘Bonnetable’ but it should be generally the same as no. 60 ‘La Ferte Bernard’, the preserved one at MTVS in Valmondois.
Both being part of the same series 50-61. I have some drawings of this series which I can scan and send later if you wish.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks Carl

I would like any scans of the Sarthe engines if poss'.

As to rolling stock anything you can spare the time to process and send. Especially if you think that they are worthy of burning on the CNC laser.

Thanks for your trouble.

Mike
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyMon May 04, 2009 1:59 pm

It's no trouble Mike and I will sit down and scan some stuff after work this evening.

What would be really great are some 'K' series wagons. The typical short wheelbase metre gauge goods wagon. I have drawings of these.

Some of the MTVS reviews are still available direct from the
MTVS boutique but they are getting in short supply now and no more are being printed.

If anyone reading doesn't know, the MTVS is the 'Musée de Tramway à Vapeur et des chemins de fer Secondaires français.' They have a living metre gauge museum on a truncated section of the old 'Oise' newtork about 30 kms NNW of Paris, about 1 hour from my house.

They are really the authority on metre/narrow gauge in France.

Interesting military stuff Laurent. Plenty of bedtime reading tonight.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyMon May 04, 2009 3:10 pm

I'll second that Carl I#ve got a few now but most are out of stock. they are fetching a good price on ebay too!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 am

pjti wrote:
Still working on it now and again Carl, but the basement is a bit chilly at pres so busy doing non model stuff. I'll try to mock it up again and get a pic.

I know its been a while since this thread was active but I have just joined the CGT forums and came across it whilst reading all the back threads.

So Patrick, have you finished your Soller tram yet? I am trying to track a kit down here in Spain (where they are made) but with no luck! I am waiting for a reply to an email I sent Occre asking them sell me one direct... My goal is to use the kit as a pattern to make a 1:12 scale model running on G64 track (63.5mm) I know its slightly narrow but its readily available in a box in my workshop!

Cheers for now

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:01 am

Mike welcome. Errr no have to report I have not done any work on it for ages, that's not to say it won't get done.

I got mine from Hobbyzone in Santander - I have lost the catalogue but there branches all over spain. I'll see if I can get the website later.

In the meantime try this link to Guinea hobbies
Soller Kit

mmmm the 1/12 scale model should look good, the Occre is a lot of work if you just want to use it to upscale, I can give you some basic dimensions possibly if it helps - although it's not complete.
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the location to get the kit!
I have ordered on from Ginea and we'll see what I can do when it arrives.

My intention is to scan all the laser cut sheets into the computer and using a CAD program to trace and enlarge them to 1/12th scale then get it all laser cut thereby making a larger scale kit in effect. I am intending to use G64 track which is 63.5mm gauge and is made by Garden Railway Specialists for standard gauge G scale models, it consists of plastic sleeper sections into which you put the rail as in 45mm gauge track. It is slightly under scale coming out at 2ft 6in gauge but
is readily available - in a big box in my workshop! I could model it in 7/8ths scale then the track would gauge out at 2ft 9in, a little closer.

Power will be from a laser cut steel inner chassis and a motor sized according to how heavy the body turns out to be. The size of the vehicle should allow some
decent batteries to be carried as well. I intend to automate the new tramway as I am not one to 'play trains' but simply like to 'watch the trains go by' from
the comfort of my pool! When I make the actual OcCre kit I will use a suitable motor block from Bachmann or Aristocraft etc.

Any help would be much appreciated Patrick - Thanks!

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spanish Occre Tram build   Spanish Occre Tram build Empty

Back to top Go down

Spanish Occre Tram build
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next