Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France

Go down 
+4
k&nwlr
Carl Hibbs
David Grantham
Paulus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulus

Paulus

Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France Empty
PostSubject: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 am

Here´s a link to a short movie on Youtube of an indoor layout "Kent & North Wales Light Railway" located in a basement in Alsace, France. Most are live steam with a couple of battery powered ones, like avery nice railcar. Take a look at the other movies as well, some real interesting stuff. Very nice buildings too!
Dual track loop 45/32 mm.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=watch
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Marvellous set up with at at least £15k worth of locos, maybe more.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 7:46 pm

I think that's a conservative estimate David.
An Accucraft garret and a Regner MZB compound thing must have cost over 7k together Shocked
I counted over 20 locomotives and the stock is certainly not 'Lollipop Farm'. Wink

Imagine the size of that 'basement' with long runs wide radius curves. Must be at least 200 sq metres.

I had to look several times to see and make sure I wasn't dreaming.....

But...why is it not outside or is there one outside too? Laughing
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Kent & North Wales Light Railway   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 3:10 pm

I just wanted to own up to being responsible (if that´s the right word!) for the Kent & North Wales Light Railway. By coincidence, I found your forum at the same time that you found the K&NWLR. That has to be a sign!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Welcome to the forum!

You have an absolute paradise. I don't think I'd ever come out if I was in that basement. king
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Many thanks for the words of welcome ... and if I never come out of the basement then probably because there´s still so much to do. But from time to time I get to run a train or two.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Welcome!
I noticed your posts on MyLargeScale.com and just had to share it over here, specially because your beautiful layout is located in France. I was silently hoping you find this site and show up Laughing
Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France 28942
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 8:14 pm

What an amazing layout. Was your cellar perhaps once a bomb shelter or part of the Maginot Line? It's freaking huge!
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 8:57 pm

My "cellar" is part of the basement that is underneath the whole of the house- the rest having been used for things like exercise rooms, library no. 2 and office no. 3. Underneath the cellar is the wine cellar, with the things that you would really need in case of war.

The room where the railway is now, is not that big, just 6m x 14m, which is two double garages plus a bit in between. The guy who built the house was an orthepaedic surgeon (aka neantherthal) and had a car repairing shop underneath the house) - sadly not Aston Martins. but Peugeot 304s ....

I spent this evening down in the cellar, putting in some lights on the railway. Hope I get a chance to share on Youtube soon.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Andrew, it looks a lot bigger than 6 x 14 metres. I've read the thread on MLS and to save you repeating information on both sides of the Atlantic here is the link for people to read.
MLS K&NWLR

However a track plan would be very enlightening if you have one.

Whereabouts roughly are you in Alsace ? Anywhere near Mulhouse perhaps and do you have open days? Laughing

...and lastly from me at the moment. How many live steam locomotives do you actually have?
Not that I'm the least bit jealous of course. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyTue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 pm

I´m as close to the Swiss border as it´s possible to get, i.e. customs point at the bottom of the 68 garden. My track plan is very much out of date, but I´ll try to post it anyway. And if I knew how many locos I had ... then Mrs K&NWLR would be waterboarding me ,,, if you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Great looking layout, good find there Paul.

A warm welcome, too, to Andrew.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Kent & North Wales Light Railway   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Many thanks for the welcome. Hope to post some more stuff on Youtube at the weekend.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 9:04 pm

As promised, and a little earlier than promised, here are some new photos of new buildings and the new lighting on the line, even though it´s sometimes difficult to tell what time of day it is. Long exposure times I´m afraid ...

https://www.youtube.com/user/KandNWLR?feature=mhee#p/u/9/DJZWxVBU6Gg
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Great pics - some beautiful buildings there too. I'd like to hear some details of how you make them if possible.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 8:10 am

Excellent buildings - Clive is right, you must tell us more. I look at your work and I see a touch of everything which is good in modelling British buildings - John Ahearn, Allan Downes, Pendon, and a touch of Portmeirion - Love it.
Back to top Go down
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 1:14 pm

The buildings are from 5mm plastic sheet cut to shape with a saw, with the usual paint or brick paper, together with doll house fittings for windows etc., and interiors. I´ve been taking lessons from Peter Smith / Kirtley Model Buildings who is the "author" of several of the more complex structures, but hope that I´ve now upped my game sufficiently to at least superficially "look good on Youtube". Hope to show some more stuff soon, when I buy some more glue that actually sticks ... just been having a frustrating experience with some pavements ...
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:19 pm

k&nwlr wrote:
The buildings are from 5mm plastic sheet cut to shape with a saw, with the usual paint or brick paper, together with doll house fittings for windows etc., and interiors. I´ve been taking lessons from Peter Smith / Kirtley Model Buildings who is the "author" of several of the more complex structures, but hope that I´ve now upped my game sufficiently to at least superficially "look good on Youtube". Hope to show some more stuff soon, when I buy some more glue that actually sticks ... just been having a frustrating experience with some pavements ...

A belated welcome from me in SW France!

Love your buildings! Do you think your construction methods would last in an outdoors environment??

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
k&nwlr

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

GWhizz wrote:
k&nwlr wrote:

A belated welcome from me in SW France!

Love your buildings! Do you think your construction methods would last in an outdoors environment??

Would be ok in a southern climate, as long as you take them in when it gets inclement ...

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France   Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France Empty

Back to top Go down

Beautiful live-steam indoor layout in Alsace, France
Page 1 of 1