Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MOMI module Normand

Go down 
+6
k&nwlr
KleineDicke
GWhizz
Paulus
tram47
Carl Hibbs
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

MOMI module Normand Empty
PostSubject: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:54 pm

As promised I am going to make a module to fit with the excellent réseau MOMI.

Having scrutinised the plans and pictures and considered the options I have decided to make this into a broader project.

1. The distance that the MOMI group exhibit is mostly too far for me to attend regularly so there has to be more use and value than 1 or 2 exhibitions a year.
2. I already have a portable layout and this module needs if possible to have some sort of integration with that but at the same time be self- contained and be a model on its own.
3. My daughter has expressed some interest (at St Aubin earlier) and is quite creative and dextrous so I want to involve her and for it to have a good deal of autonomous play value.
4. It must fit sensibly in my Twingo and be manipulated by one person.

So a module measuring 1100 mm long (which is the length of the straight boards on my portable layout) x 900 mm which is the MOMI standard width.
As soon I started I realised how big this is going to be and it will be the limit of portability by one person.

I've used 10mm MDF for the most part and have constructed this so far.

MOMI module Normand Momi110
MOMI module Normand Momi210
MOMI module Normand Momi310
MOMI module Normand Momi410
MOMI module Normand Momi510
MOMI module Normand Momi610

You can obviously see there is going to be a siding of sorts and some drop-down scenery. But.....I'm not going to tell you what the theme is yet.

This will be an interesting project and especially with Brian building a module as well.
I hope people will enjoy seeing the progress of both and probably completely different approaches to building.

Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Very Happy à suivre, to follow .....
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 3:14 pm

The second MOMI project on this site if I'm correct? And a multiple-use module for sure! Considering all the demands this must become a real interesting little layout on it's own than. And the best of all will be you're building it together with your daughter what will make it something extra special.
Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 6:58 am

I was a little surprised at my daughter at St Aubin as it was her who pursuaded me to take the OO layout so that she could operate it. Sadly it is so old, rather fragile now and difficult for even a dextrous child to operate successfully without supervision.

If I can involve her in this project then it satisfies many criteria not least an increase in my (now 'our') railway budget from the household accounts. Wink

While I have the post open, I am looking for some tips and techniques on creating (lightweight) undulating grass scenery and embankments.
I know some of you are quite experienced in this area. My last primitive efforts were many years ago in OO scale.

This will fill the open area on the baseboard.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Sorcerer's apprentice?........

MOMI module Normand Momi710

MOMI module Normand Momi810
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Some modelers use PU foam on diorama's to make landscapes. Spray it on, let it expand and dry. Than you can cut and shape it in any form you want. It's relatively strong and light weighted.

Here's an example of a N gauge layout. Dutch language but the pictures show the story.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 9:15 pm

Here's a better example, a gauge 1 scale military diorama. The sloped hill is made out of the spray-foam.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks Paul, very interesting and has possibilities.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 10:30 pm

I spy a couple of MOB "Boissons Riviera" wagons in the background, can't remember seeing them on any of your exhibition layouts?

Do you still have that fleet of barrel cars? Might like to borrow a couple for the "Cognac" module sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 6:47 am

I think the MOB wagons appeared once along with the Kronenberg ones, but not for long while now. I have about 6 in all.

You may well lease the wine wagons. I have three 4 wheelers and a bogie with 3 barrels.
They haven't been used very much as they don't hold enough for me. drunken

Will that be sufficient for the output of your enterprise?

...Oh and I'd expect them back full. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 6:52 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
...Oh and I'd expect them back full. Laughing

Naturally - Pineau? Cognac? or Eau de Vie? Or one barrel of each?

MOMI module Normand 26531
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 9:58 am

MOMI module Normand 317793 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Some more progress. Working with MDF especially this damp weather means it has to be sealed hence the battleship grey.

The main part of the module will consist of a large full length semi-relief building. This will be separate and detachable.

MOMI module Normand Momi1110

MOMI module Normand Momi1210

MOMI module Normand Momi1310

MOMI module Normand Momi1010
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Nice work Carl.
What sort of industry is it gonna be? The second brewery on the MOMI layout? drunken
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Paulus wrote:
Nice work Carl.
What sort of industry is it gonna be? The second brewery on the MOMI layout? drunken

It's a secret I'm afraid. Clearly it's an industry of some sorts but people will have to guess until it becomes obvious. bounce
But no, not a brewery or distillery.....
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 6:15 pm

In reply to Daniel's post about fibre glass on Brian's thread I thought I'd have a go.

I haven't done scenery for a long time and it's not my field of expertise really..... Laughing

...and especially Daniel's method!

MOMI module Normand Momi2110

MOMI module Normand Momi2010

I used far too much resin with not quite enough hardener and the mat sagged a fair bit but it's not too bad for a start and I will add a bit more mat later.
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 8:15 pm

c'est un début , les dosages sont précis.bien noter chaque essai . Et travailler dans un local aéré !!!!!I

t's a start, the measurements are accurate recorded note each test. And work in a ventilated room!!!

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Carl, What material are you going to use for the track bed?

Daniel's spec requires it to be only 2mm thick above the baseboard height?
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:57 pm

WHATT ??????
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:03 pm

tram47 wrote:

WHATT ??????

Liege 2mm ?
MOMI module Normand Interf10
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:06 pm

O.K. !!!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:42 pm

The track height (top of rail) is 20mm above the baseboard surface or more precisely 70mm from the locating/bolt hole centre.

The LGB track is about 18mm high plus Daniel says to use liege 2mm. Liege is cork*. You can get it from most brico places usually on a 5 metre x 50 cm roll...the cost is ridiculous at about 20 euros and we only want a couple of strips.

I have some 2mm card/bristol board type stuff which I am at present sticking down with PVA.

I am only using LGB or equivalent (Trainline actually) for the main lines. The internal network will be Peco rail.

Here's my plan so far and I'll take some progress pics over the weekend.

MOMI module Normand Momi_p10

Daniel:
C'est bon pour Orleans en novembre.

BTW.... Liege is also a city in Belgium which as it happens is twinned with Cork in Ireland It's true... Laughing

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:52 pm

c'est très explicite .Félicitations
It is very explicit.Congratulations
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 2:05 pm

As promised, progress so far.

MOMI module Normand Momi3110
First stage of scenic covering over the fibre glass terrain.
2mm (card) Track bed glued down and painted...grey!

MOMI module Normand Momi3210
Aha....barrel wagons... pirat
The track is just loosely laid for the camera.

MOMI module Normand Momi3410
...And I'm planning a (wagon) turntable too. Cool...

MOMI module Normand Momi3310
Gabarit....!!!...un peu juste, c'est 120mm.

MOMI module Normand Momi3010
But the whole construction is removable as well as the roof separately.
The building is constructed to have some younger play value to it and not just as scenery.

MOMI module Normand Momi3510
The holes and cut outs are for switches and controls.

MOMI module Normand Momi3610
The wagon and short track in the upper building will form part of a working gantry crane.

You are right Brian to construct your building in card. Mine is removable but it is too heavy to be permanently attached.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Nice progress! That idea for the gantry crane is very clever!

So... not a brewery or distillery... But barrel wagons mmmm.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MOMI module Normand   MOMI module Normand Empty

Back to top Go down

MOMI module Normand
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next