Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Automotrice à vapeur (new project)

Go down 
+7
Spule 4
David Grantham
dtsteam
KleineDicke
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
Paulus
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Paulus

Paulus

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) Empty
PostSubject: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 1:12 pm

No, not yet based on a live steam model (that will be another project once).
But an idea that I have for a while is to scratch build a narrow gauge steam railcar using an old Playmobil motor brick. The thing I have in mind is something that looks like the old H0e EggerBahn railcar. I had this car running on my old H0e layout. I like the looks and it has some nostalgic value for me.
Searching the internet for ideas I found on the Schmallspurtreff Forum a post from somebody who have build an exact copy of it in 0 scale (click here). This gave me a lot of ideas how to construct it.

Now, I'm not planning to do an exact copy of it but something that is based on the EggerBahn model and have similar looks.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 1:18 pm

The donor: a Playmobil RC engine. It has plastic wheels so it can't pull too many cars. But it's perfect for a battery operated railcar. The motor brick cab store the RC unit and 4 AAA batteries or a Playmobil accu-pack.

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0719-vi

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0728modified-vi
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 6:42 am

Made some good progress yesterday.

The wheel cover panels made from styrene. Cabin floor is made out of a left over piece of plywood (white Meranti).

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT07281m-vi

On/off switch placed in cabin. The floor planking is scribed in with an old small screwdriver and painted with thinned paint to give it an old/used look.

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0737m-vi

The 4 AAA batteries are replaced with a bigger 4,6 Volts 1400 mAh accu-pack. Charge jack is placed in the wheel cover. The bolt will form the support point for he carriage.

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0734m-vi
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 7:09 am

A great project coming on. I like seeing plasticard fabricated. Very Happy

Another interesting machine to run at RailExpo next year I hope.
(I've sent you a PM about that.)
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks Carl!

I've made a bogie from an old LGB small car. It's just a simple version and need to be finished / detailed later.
This is how it looks now (with wheel in it off course) for the testing.

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0730amodified-vi

I did a test run (in the pouring rain...) to see if it could handle my layout. And it could!

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0732amodified-vi

A little video:

At the moment I'm working on the sides of the carriage. I'll post some pictures later!

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 10:16 pm

As promised:

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT07338modified-vi

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT07339modified-vi

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT07340modified-vi

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT07342modified-vi

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT07343modified-vi
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 8:25 am

Good progress.

How did you cut the windows out so neatly and how thick is the plasticard you are using.

BTW Where do you get yours from?

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 am

The windows were cut out using the ProEdge #1 hobby knife (or Xacto #1).
I used a Dremel tool to file out the rounded corners on top of the windows.
The styrene plate for the basic form is 2 mm thick. I also use 1,5 mm, 1mm and thinner sheets from 0,2 or 0,5 mm thickness.

You can buy styrene sheets in most hobbyshops but than they are rather expensive. Two years ago I found a great online shop that is specialized in plastic materials: www.kunststofshop.nl (in English also)

The styrene is called 'polystyrene' but is actually the same stuff and you can buy it in 2 standard sizes: 1000 x 600 mm or 1000 x 1200 mm plates. It's available in matt white or shiny white as well in milkwhite, black and some other colors (again in matt or shiny). I prefer the matt white because it's easier to use a pen or pencil on it to draw the forms. For glueing it's just the same.

For instance, a polystyreen plaat 1000x600x1mm costs onlt 6,95 euro. For that price you get a much smaller piece in the local hobby shop...
They deliver at home and I cut up the big plates in 3 pieces. One order from several thicknesses in plates and you have enough for a few years!

Rods, L or H profiles or some strips from Evergreen I do buy in the LHS.

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:31 am

Paulus wrote:
You can buy styrene sheets in most hobbyshops but than they are rather expensive. Two years ago I found a great online shop that is specialized in plastic materials: www.kunststofshop.nl (in English also)

What a brilliant supplier, I think you should add to the " Supplier Links" section as well as any other (secret) sources you may have!

I see they deliver to France - excellent!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 11:45 am

Indeed a good find Paul, and cheap too.

I can't believe that Slater's charge about 4 times the price.

They'll be getting some business from me.

I had a good commercial supplier in Paris but they have disappeared now.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Last days I worked on some detailing and rivets.
All rivets were made from styrene rod, cut in little slices and glued in place one by one... cyclops

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT07351modified-vi

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT07350modified-vi
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:36 pm

...but did you count the rivets? Razz
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:49 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
...but did you count the rivets? Razz

lol!

I leave the rivet counting to others that are taking that to a religious level...
They will have nightmares if they see not all rivets are as round or heigh as the one next to it.
And the distances between the rivets are not exactly the same also... The horror! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Paulus wrote:
Last days I worked on some detailing and rivets.
All rivets were made from styrene rod, cut in little slices and glued in place one by one... cyclops

Patience or what...nice work, cutting the windows out neatly and accurately is an achievement too.

Thick plasticard is not always easy to work with.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:48 am

Second testrun!

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:54 am

I made the testrun to check if the sidings won't get stuck in the tunnel or on the bridge. Good thing I checked. You can hear a soft 'clack' when it enters the tunnel. Fixed it by shortening the sides a few mm.
Also the TGV speed needs some work...

Oh... And the candle is just for weight... geek
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Pretty neat.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:19 pm

That's a really nice piece of modelling...I have been using 2mm sheet and have struggled to be as neat. As to speed, you could argue that it is to scale - I seem to remember that my Eggerbahn railcar had a fair turn of speed pirat
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks!

Quote :
As to speed, you could argue that it is to scale - I seem to remember that my Eggerbahn railcar had a fair turn of speed

lol!
Yes, the speed is actual prototypical for an Eggerbahn model! Those had 2 speeds; fast and very fast.

About the plastic to be honest, my work is not that neat or precise either... really it just looks better on the pictures that in real and close by. affraid
I guess there are always some errors or crappy fittings visible. But I don't mind as long as the overall look is OK. And most important: I'm enjoying building it.

Did some work today on the inside walls and windows.

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0010-vi

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0012modified-vi

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Nice job Paul.

I find cutting Plastikard very difficult particularly the curves.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Paulus wrote:
Also the TGV speed needs some work... geek

Maybe you could change it up a bit and model a Schienenzeppelin instead.
Automotrice à vapeur (new project) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2OYMLy0OpG9B-vXxF5GTwWJvQfjA-MHPgEQzgn2-8FznsU1bF5w
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:38 am

Nice bit of work Paul!

Paulus wrote:
I have for a while is to scratch build a narrow gauge steam railcar using an old Playmobil motor brick. The thing I have in mind is something that looks like the old H0e EggerBahn railcar. I had this car running on my old H0e layout.

Ruud Wittekoek, owner of that website-link posted above is a longtime (12+ years) internet-friend of mine. For H0e/Egger stuff, he is a good source.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks Garrett! I know that site, it has lots of beautifull little treasures on it. I had a H0e layout once, in my early twenties, so looooooong ago... Austrian themed. I had lots of trouble letting the engines run smoothly on that 9 mm track and espacially the turnouts. Its so small....
geek
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Paulus wrote:
Thanks Garrett! I know that site, it has lots of beautifull little treasures on it. I had a H0e layout once, in my early twenties, so looooooong ago... Austrian themed. I had lots of trouble letting the engines run smoothly on that 9 mm track and espacially the turnouts. Its so small....
geek

The new models of Bemo and Roco run as smooth as anything, simply amazing! I bought one of these, it is among one of my favorite models in all scales I own:

http://www.reflektion.info/html/5430_190407_1_roco.html

Good luck on your project. It is a shame that LGB did not make that model also, as there was some duplication between Egger models and LGB. The one I wish LGB would make is guards/passenger car number V44 in this catalogue page:

http://www.egger-bahn.de/images/faq-jouef-egger.jpg
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Made a roof on the passenger part.

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) Foto-vi

And placed a homecast buffer. I soldered a hook on it for a chain connection.

Automotrice à vapeur (new project) PICT0016-vi723
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Automotrice à vapeur (new project)   Automotrice à vapeur (new project) Empty

Back to top Go down

Automotrice à vapeur (new project)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next