Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does anyone NOT have snow?

Go down 
+2
Bearcastle
Carl Hibbs
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Does anyone NOT have snow? Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 9:29 am

I looked at the weather map today and most of France is on orange alert. They originally said about 8mm of snow would fall.
Does anyone NOT have snow? 499412 Does anyone NOT have snow? 499412 Does anyone NOT have snow? 499412 Does anyone NOT have snow? 499412 Does anyone NOT have snow? 499412 Does anyone NOT have snow? 499412
Well they underestimated a tad in Normandy... scratch
Here's the scene here at 10:20 this morning and it's still snowing and a temperature of -8. More snow is expected tomorrow and -13.

Does anyone NOT have snow? Snow2010

It's times like this when you wish you had your railway in a (heated) basement.....
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 12:48 pm

East of paris nothing at all (vaires, chelles, lagny), but I saw some cars this moring with snow on it. And some people comming from the other side of Paris confirm some snow.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Not snowing here. Maybe some rain later today, though. Does anyone NOT have snow? 509698
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Carl where is your snow plow push by a live diesel, making a huge plume in this weather Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 3:39 pm

It would be great to get a train out but we have been busy with other things, 4 hungry, greedy goats to look after and leaking pipes.

I might think about it tomorrow or Tuseday as there is no way I'm going work until the the roads are safe for my Twingo. silent

We had 30 cms of the wretched white suff. Luckily we live in a farming cummunity and the tractors were out this morning clearing the lane.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 5:14 pm

I think I remenber an old post talking about the need of a 4x4 in your area, the twingo will need chain and snow tyres, but even with that 30 cm is a lot.

Sure you need one of those :

First the ancestor

Does anyone NOT have snow? Snow_c10

If there's too much snow there's a solution in the boot Very Happy

Does anyone NOT have snow? Skis_i10

One of the lastest one

Does anyone NOT have snow? Snow-c10

You could try that one as well snow

Does anyone NOT have snow? Custom10

Well, in rainy wheather as well

Does anyone NOT have snow? Custom11

It's a kit that replace the normal wheel, give a good use for a quad in winter or anytime anywhere, one of the brand for that is called "tatou track kit".

Tatou 4S Chenille par aktivmotors

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Do you know if they make a caterpillar kit for a Twingo....? lol!

We've been talking about a 4x4 for years but for me it's easy...an old Landrover series 3 (or better still an all metal 2A) would be fine but my wife would never be able to drive it.
I just wish I had kept my old one in England. Sad

We visited the Suzuki dealers recently and almost bought something but didn't proceed because of the mild weather and we thought that we would just wait a bit....... silent

The geographical situation here is that we live on a flat plateau being a spine that runs almost from Evreux to Lisieux but all the main towns are in valleys so to go anywhere or do anything (apart from visiting the niegnbouring sleepy villages) necessitates steep hills usually on bends and in this weather it's a lottery if you make it. Last year an articulated truck jack-knifed on the hilly bend in Bernay.

Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 5:16 pm

We only got a few mm and it was all gone by lunch time, and got up to 9c during the day, but supposed to be frosty tonight.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 7:19 pm

Well we didn't have snow when the ferry left Portsmouth last night. But there was about a 100mm in Oustreham when we docked at 6.45 this morning and it got progressively thicker through Le Mans, Tours and Poitiers as we drove south and there's a good 150mm (6inches) at home in the Charente. I can hardly see the railway - pics in the morning. Does anyone NOT have snow? 166561
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 7:26 pm

French Chuffed wrote:
We only got a few mm and it was all gone by lunch time, and got up to 9c during the day, but supposed to be frosty tonight.

9 degrees...we can only dream of those tropical temperatures. Does anyone NOT have snow? 54349
Forecast here says it will be minus for a week.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 7:43 pm

agreed, we barely reach 0°c in the afternoon, it was like it's warm again. But the rest of the week should only be temperature under zero degrees C.
Does anyone NOT have snow? 101635
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
We've been talking about a 4x4 for years but for me it's easy...an old Landrover series 3 (or better still an all metal 2A) would be fine but my wife would never be able to drive it.

You can't beat a Freelander this weather - and your wife would find it a breeze Does anyone NOT have snow? 317298
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 2:12 pm

GWhizz wrote:
You can't beat a Freelander this weather Does anyone NOT have snow? 317298

Might have been a bit premature with that statement - it wouldn't start this morning, the diesel had frozen Does anyone NOT have snow? 166561 Not surprising really as it was still minus 12 out there at 9 o'clock. Started later once it had the sun on the bonnet for an hour though!

Here's a few pics of the railway this morning...

Does anyone NOT have snow? Snow110

Does anyone NOT have snow? Snow210

Does anyone NOT have snow? Snow310
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 4:59 pm

We don't have snow here, just big ice cube Very Happy

Does anyone NOT have snow? 2012-010 Does anyone NOT have snow? 2012-011
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 5:48 pm

still got snow, except its now frozzen ice

Does anyone NOT have snow? P1090501
Back to top Go down
http://www.lazygrangebay.co.uk/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:40 am

Nice pics. There's always someone worse off. Wink

Oh...and minus 14 here in the shade this morning but the waether should 'improve' next week.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 4:06 pm

Does sleet count? I went outside last night and I could hear the sleet hitting the trees. It never made it to the ground, however- the air was too warm and too dry. We did get down to 1 degC Sunday morning, and then had a high of 10. Seriously cold weather for Houston.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 9:07 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
Does sleet count? I went outside last night and I could hear the sleet hitting the trees. It never made it to the ground, however- the air was too warm and too dry. We did get down to 1 degC Sunday morning, and then had a high of 10. Seriously cold weather for Houston.

Seriously warm weather for Normandy. Does anyone NOT have snow? 501374
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone NOT have snow?   Does anyone NOT have snow? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anyone NOT have snow?
Page 1 of 1