Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Empty
PostSubject: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 am

Just when you thought it was safe to come out from behind the sofa, here I am again with another essay in putty-mangling!

This one differs a little from the previous one I did, in that the armature is formed from thinner, yet stiffer 'stem wire' - apparently used by flower-arrangers (not my game I hasten to add) but nevertheless available from Hobby Craft.

First off, though, another head had to be sculpted from Fimo and baked... and here it is!

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Fimo_2nd_head_1a

So, to the body bit. I won't bore you with an armature shot, as it's no different to the previous one I did apart from the different thickness of wire used.

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_1

I was looking to produce a passenger figure slouched casually on a bench, legs outstretched and crossed slightly, with hands clasped behind his head. A bit like this in fact:

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_2

In trimming the wire to the correct length for the arms, I was conscious of the fact that on my first attempt, I felt the arms were slightly too long, so I was determined to try and correct that this time round. To that end, I placed both figures side-by-side on the bench, so as to try and make a better judgement:

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_3

Then the bulking up could begin, as before:

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_5a

I got a bit lairy (as we say round here) and thought it might be a neat trick to try and sculpt the hands in Fimo, with the interlacing fingers like you do when you put your hands behind your head. It was a bit fiddly, and I think the guy has a little finger missing but not too noticeable. I hit a minor problem in that when I baked the figure again (including the head for a second time) the head developed a small crack under the chin and down the back of the neck. Fortunately it will be relatively easy to fill that. Anyway, here's how the clasped hands look behind the head:

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_5b

So that's where I am with it so far. A bit more bulking up round the legs might be beneficial, but not too bad. However, I now have to think about how to 'dress' this character.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 8:31 pm

clive_t wrote:
Just when you thought it was safe to come out from behind the sofa, here I am again with another essay in putty-mangling!

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_3

I wonder what he's saying to her...or him?

It's fascinating watching these figures 'mature' Clive. Thanks for keeping a photographic record that we can all enjoy.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 12:10 am

It's gonna be a 'him'. I would anticipate having to tread extremely carefully the day I attempt my first ever sculpture of a female...

So this evening, we have progressed to having the footwear done, and a bit more padding on the derriere to allow for a more level posture when seated. With a small bit of Milliput I gave him some ears too.

I decided that for clothing, this guy would be wearing a track-suit with a tee-shirt underneath:

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_6

The impression of the tee-shirt is 'made' by simply fashioning a round-neck collar effect around the neck, and thereby making the exposed upper body the rest of the tee-shirt.
The trackie top is made from 'Grey Stuff' as mentioned in another thread not far from here!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 8:48 pm

So finally, today I was able to spray the figure with grey undercoat, as is my habit...

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_7

This evening I have been painting the figure - I decided that the head would look great without any hair, so that's the look I went for:

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_8

As a finishing touch, I made a mini 'Walkman' out of GS in order that he should not be bored whilst waiting for his train...

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_9
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 9:00 pm

Whilst I'm not suggesting you add it, he ought to be wearing some vulgar gold jewelry....

Another excellent figure Clive.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Once again a piece of mastery.

I notice he has long slim legs and a smallish bottom.Shocked
The trainers are well done too.

My figures just have painted blobs for feet.

I think you should really have a go at a woman next.....if you know what I mean. Surprised
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 9:16 pm

dtsteam wrote:
Whilst I'm not suggesting you add it, he ought to be wearing some vulgar gold jewelry....
Strangely enough, it did occur to me to give him sum ov dat 'bling bling' but then I remembered that my railway has a standing order - "No Chavs"
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptySun Dec 14, 2008 9:20 pm

carl hibbs wrote:

I notice he has long slim legs and a smallish bottom.Shocked
Purely from imagination I'm afraid, I have no real references of my own to work from!

carl hibbs wrote:

I think you should really have a go at a woman next.....if you know what I mean. Surprised
Errrrmm....

Nah, bottled it!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 10:33 am

Just a final pic in a bit better light:

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Body_sculpt_2_9b
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Very nice Clive
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Anything happening in Clive's people studio at the moment?

New figures for 2009 .....???

I think the guy above should have a girlie for Valentines day. I love you
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Excellent work Clive. Cool

I hope the station staff are keeping an eye on him...........looks dodgy to me......... pirat
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 pm

carl hibbs wrote:

Not much going on with me at the moment to be honest; other issues are taking precedence. I made a start on a 'kissing couple' - going back to my Preiser-hacking approach for that - but haven't done anything with it/them since before Christmas.

paul stainz holt wrote:
I hope the station staff are keeping an eye on him...........looks dodgy to me......... pirat
Well we used to have our own security team, but he got a better offer from the CFG in Paris - all the vin rouge and smelly cheese he could consume, and a free hand with the trouble-makers as and when...
Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Gendarme8
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 10:56 am

That gendarme looks like the man for the job.

Like it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 11:18 am

dont know why, but I totally missed this one at the time! Great sculpting clive. Cant you do one in a more elegant style of dress! ..say like they wore in 1910??
hehe Mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 12:51 am

clive_t wrote:
carl hibbs wrote:

Not much going on with me at the moment to be honest; other issues are taking precedence. I made a start on a 'kissing couple' - going back to my Preiser-hacking approach for that - but haven't done anything with it/them since before Christmas.

paul stainz holt wrote:
Well we used to have our own security team, but he got a better offer from the CFG in Paris - all the vin rouge and smelly cheese he could consume, and a free hand with the trouble-makers as and when...
Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Gendarme8

[b]Good moaning Ronnie
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 8:23 am

clive_t wrote:

And a splendid job he is doing too keeping the CFG free of "les rif raf".

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Gendar12

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Gendar11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure   Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure Empty

Back to top Go down

Clive's Second Attempt at a Scratch-Sculpted Figure
Page 1 of 1