Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Interchangeable Box Car

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tacbob

Interchangeable Box Car Empty
PostSubject: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:49 pm

I found an interesting idea in the good book "The 60cm Military Railway of the WWI in France" by Dr. Christian Cenac about cars on bogies with bunks developed by Péchot.

I do have 2 log cars so I adapted the idea and built a wooden drop deck box for the 2 bunk bogies. The frame is made of beech and glued together. I also used tooth picks to reinforce the joints. The planks are made of old cigar boxes again. It isn't finished yet. Still needs a roof and more details.

Interchangeable Box Car Klein

Interchangeable Box Car IMAG0114klein

Interchangeable Box Car IMAG0137klein

Interchangeable Box Car IMAG0143klein

Interchangeable Box Car P2194673klein

Interchangeable Box Car P2194675klein

Interchangeable Box Car P2194678klein
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 pm

40 Chevaux

8 Hommes. eh?

Interesting idea, well executed.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 11:48 am

KleineDicke wrote:
40 Chevaux

8 Hommes. eh?

Many thx Bill Smile, but what does this mean? 40 horses and 8 men? I don't speak French Sad.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:22 pm

Tacbob wrote:
KleineDicke wrote:
40 Chevaux

8 Hommes. eh?

Many thx Bill Smile, but what does this mean? 40 horses and 8 men? I don't speak French Sad.

Sounds like Texas humour to me Cool. Cheveaux (CV) can mean horsepower as in Citroën 2CV.
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Tacbob wrote:
KleineDicke wrote:
40 Chevaux

8 Hommes. eh?

Sounds like Texas humour to me Cool. Cheveaux (CV) can mean horsepower as in Citroën 2CV.

I don't have a glue what this is meaning in context with my car confused. Btw do you know how the 2CV is called over here?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 pm

2CV in Geman is called Ente (Translation Duck=English, Canard= French althought the French didn't call it that).

I'm not sure what Bill's reference is either but it is a great model.
Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
2CV in Geman is called Ente (Translation Duck=English, Canard= French althought the French didn't call it that).

A friend of mine had have one in white and red. Was a nice little car.

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Thank you Carl Smile. Do you know the Péchot cars?
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:46 pm

I don't know them very well but that's probably it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Hopefully Bill will solve this puzzle fully
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptyFri Mar 15, 2013 3:43 pm

I can probably get a few horses in mine if it helps....

Interchangeable Box Car 301640_2209989125646_893984951_n
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 am

Tacbob wrote:
KleineDicke wrote:
40 Chevaux

8 Hommes. eh?

Oops.. I goofed Embarassed. It should be 40 Hommes and 8 Chevaux, . Many of the French box cars used to transport troops to the front in the World Wars were labelled " Hommes 40 Chevaux 8, ", as this was their assigned capacity. There is an historical association in the US called the "40 and 8".

Image hosted by servimg.com

Image hosted by servimg.com

I don't think it means, however, that a deux chevaux = dix hommes, except perhaps at the circus. Razz
Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for lighten it up Bill Smile.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 9:08 am

Sparkeswood wrote:

I wish you could bring this to the CFBS fete vapeur....that would be an attraction on it's own.
Suitably adorned with French and English flags.
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Sparkeswood wrote:

I wish you could bring this to the CFBS fete vapeur....that would be an attraction on it's own.
Suitably adorned with French and English flags.

Yes..that would be good.I hadn't thought about it to be honest.Problem is ,I'm about to strip down the top end of the Harley ready for the rally season and the 2cv (although it was restored last year) has to take a back seat this year.It's all road legal so I'll look at the weather closer to the time.It should have recovered from last years Le Mans by now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interchangeable Box Car   Interchangeable Box Car Empty

Back to top Go down

Interchangeable Box Car
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Model locomotives and rolling stock-
Jump to: