Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Recycling an old coach body

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Recycling an old coach body Empty
PostSubject: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:30 am

I found myself with a spare coach body that was too good to just throw away, so it became the subject of a bit of spare time bashing. I have put the blog on my website if anyone is interested ....

Arrow

Last edited by MzB on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:47 am

I've thought of 'grounded van bodies' before, but never as a conversion to a passenger shelter - a neat idea.

What will you make the roof out of?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 11:54 am

Roof will be made from thick plasticard .... design yet to be finalised .... toying with a few options. Hopefully, it's origins as a coach won't be too apparent once finished.

Wink

Last edited by MzB on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Reminds me of when we used to visit my in-laws at their static caravan in West Wittering a number of years ago. On the way into town there was a garden with what on first sight looked like a 'grounded' static caravan (ie without trailer/axles) but on closer inspection turned out to be a grounded ex-LSWR coach! It had evidently had a pitched roof fitted, but you could still make out the point at which the original curved roof would have been. It did still have all the doors and windows present, though boarded up from the inside in places.

How about using some baked bean tins for the roof (suitably cut and flattened, of course!), to allow it to rust naturally once outside? (I am of course presuming it will be outside!)

Interesting project, I shall await developments with more than a passing interest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 6:34 pm

Indeed. So shall I. The bean cans could be corrugated with one of those things for corrugating paper for a nice effect.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 pm

John wrote:
The bean cans could be corrugated with one of those things for corrugating paper for a nice effect.
I would add a note of caution on this - I tried that very thing, and it wouldn't touch it! The best I could manage was an aluminium can, which just about took the corrugation effect - even then, it was more of a 'v' shape corrugation than a 'u' shape (if you see what I mean)

I have seen an alternative on the Buntbahn fotogalerie, where some guy made a corrugation 'machine' out of thin steel rods laid (and welded!) on 2 separate steel sheets, one rod's thickness apart. The can to be corrugated was then placed between the two corrugating sheets so that the steel rods were in contact with it, and the whole schmoo was put in a vice and squeezed good and tight. Worked a treat, as I recall from the pics the guy posted. I've tried searching for it on the Buntbahn site but to no avail sadly.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 9:25 pm

Nice little project Andy.
It has great potential, lighting, adverts, maybe a snogging couple from Porstmouth even....Laughing

I like things like that and it'll inspire me to get into workshop (cold garage) too over bah humbug time.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon Dec 15, 2008 10:08 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
Nice little project Andy.
It has great potential, lighting, adverts, maybe a snogging couple from Porstmouth even....Laughing
If it's me doing the sculpting, it'll have to be 2 blokes! Actually, if it's to be a couple from Portsmouth .... affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 10:53 am

I burnt my bridges for the flat roof idea by flatting off the arched roof supports, but I now reckon that a shortened LGB domed roof looks better (larger pics and notes added to blog page). Haven't actually cut the domed roof yet (hence the red vignette). An idea I might adopt is fluorescent tube lighting ...a white plastic drinking straw with white LED's poked into each end.

geek

Recycling an old coach body WaitingRoomRoofOptions
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 12:22 pm

A neat job.
I like the curved roof better.

If you're thinking of flourescent tube lighting how about the real thing.
I'm sure there are suppliers in the UK or there is,
Selectronic mini tubes here in France. Prices start at about 4.50€ for 4mm x 100mm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 1:03 pm

Very nice, curved roof looks nicer in my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Definitely prefer curved.

A nice model wood burning stove in the corner with the pipe sticking through the roof - perfect !
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 am

Yep, curved roof gets my vote too having seen both 'options'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 11:58 am

Only trouble is ... I will need to buy another coach to obtain a spare domed roof .... spares seem to have dried up. A chap on eBay is selling rare spares but they are going for silly money. He will list a coach body but then put the window frames and doors up for auction separately. Win one of the end doors and you may get outbid on the other. He may not list another door for ages, if at all.

pale
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 12:03 pm

I guess you've still got the Plastikard option though, have you not?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 8:58 pm

MzB wrote:
Only trouble is ... I will need to buy another coach to obtain a spare domed roof .... spares seem to have dried up.
pale

...........It just so happens that I have one of these lying spare would you believe. I changed the roof on a post wagon van thing some years ago as it didn't look very French.
It been gathering dust every since and I doubt ever using it.

If you want it send me your address by e mail and I will stick it the post 'gratuit'.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 11:06 am

MzB wrote:
A chap on eBay is selling rare spares but they are going for silly money. He will list a coach body but then put the window frames and doors up for auction separately. Win one of the end doors and you may get outbid on the other. He may not list another door for ages, if at all.

pale

That would be Warenreich Toys - it appears they bought up all of LGB spares stock at the time of the Maerklin takeover.

I've just bagged a couple of Stainz Loco cabs for a Scratchbuild/Kit bash I have in mind.

However he never seems to have what you really want spares wise, which in my case is the Right Hand Piston motion & cranks for a U Class.

C'est la Vie

Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 1:50 am

Haven't got much further with the waiting shelter build although not much really to do .... Carl sent me a roof which was far too good to chop, so I interchanged it with a ropey one from another coach without vents. After chopping the ropey roof, found that Carl's roof was from a postal wagon and will require a bit of a mod to fit the now roofless coach .... nothing is easy, even when handed on a plate. I had a few cobblestone baseplates from a Pola 1709 Signal Tower kit that I thought would make a nice platform area .... very clever way of slotting together, but didn't have enough. No-one seems to have any stock but GRS have some apparently @ £38.41p .... expensive? Yes, but not as expensive as Gaugemaster would have you believe (see link) .....

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PO331704&r=1

RRP was NEVER £261 Shocked
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 am

MzB wrote:
.... expensive? Yes, but not as expensive as Gaugemaster would have you believe (see link) .....

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PO331704&r=1

RRP was NEVER £261 Shocked

And good of them to include postage in the overall price, too - which you would pay even if you walked out the shop with it under your arm... Mad

Not sure if it helps, but I still have the base-plates for the POLA station buildings lying around somewhere?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyMon May 11, 2009 3:37 pm

I've left this model (and thread) in limbo for a while ... too many projects, too little time.

I have left the interior in grey primer .... outer panels in dark desert sand .... framing in black. Front window and rear timetable frames not yet fitted as can't make up my mind on colour (actually dark yellow at present, just as they came with the coach. Will probably leave them that colour.

The black has been applied with permanent marker pen whilst I decide whether black or dark green would look best?

Colour choice has been more difficult that the chopping. Bench seat will be added eventually.

Suspect

Thanks again for the spare roof Carl.

Recycling an old coach body Shelterpaint1_600
Back to top Go down
bruce

bruce

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyTue May 12, 2009 8:30 am

Dark green... adds a bit of colour... are you going to install a fluorescent tube then? Or just use the LGB mounting points for an incandescent bulb?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hdlr.moonfruit.com

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyTue May 12, 2009 9:22 am

At the moment, I have a Pola bulb holder with a white LED ... haven't tried it yet though.

Embarassed

I quite fancy having the timetables backlit as well .... but that's another job.
Back to top Go down
bruce

bruce

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyTue May 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Smile This is simple but I like to think effective... an LGB bulb holder with a yellow LGB 18v bulb, but fed 16v... duller in reality than in the photo... these days small bulbs seem to have been replaced by LEDs, though.

From H&DLR public album photos
Back to top Go down
http://www.hdlr.moonfruit.com

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyWed May 13, 2009 10:06 am

Tested the single white LED last night .... it gives ample light except that there is a spotlight effect on the floor directly beneath. Easily rectified with a diffuser or a deflector.

Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body EmptyWed May 13, 2009 10:12 am

The poster / timetable frames have now been put in from the rear .... the two tabs at the top are to enable the roof to be a clip fit. The tabs were cut from the original glazing and packed out slightly with some scrap from between the window frames.

Smile

Recycling an old coach body InsideRearA_600
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recycling an old coach body   Recycling an old coach body Empty

Back to top Go down

Recycling an old coach body
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next