Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Speed controllers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyMon May 20, 2013 7:30 am

For a while now I've been looking for cheap rc receiver operated speed controllers for BRUSHED motors.

Most of what has been available is for aircraft with no reverse facility or they are high powered bulky car/truck type items.

However I recently found this on e bay, from China of course.

Brushed ESC

They can be bought as kit too for a pound cheaper and also with a brake function as well as reverse.

They measure little more than an inch square and 1/4" thick!

I have some very good but old and bulky Electronize and RCS contollers for sale at reasonable prices.......

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:54 am

Most of the ones with reverse I have seen are for 2s (7.2V) which isn't enough for most of my LGB locos. I have found a few for 3s (11.1V), such as this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/072-80A-Brushed-ESC-suit-for-2-3S-lipo-Forward-Reverse-parts-for-1-18-buggy-/190745097361?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2c694b3491
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyWed May 22, 2013 6:36 pm

I've ordered a couple of the ones on Carl's link so I'll let you know how I get on. My battery stuff has playmobil motor blocks and I run with 7.2v accumulators so they might just do the trick. If you haven't got much room then you run 'em sloooow.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyWed May 22, 2013 7:21 pm

I bought a similar device from Hobbyking a while back, a basic 20A module but without the reverse function. It was labelled as 'suitable for lipo 2s-3s' I didn't really know what that meant at the time as I still prefer batteries that slosh about....

Indeed I blythly hitched up a fully charged 12V, 8A lead acid battery and it seemed to work fine. The motor was drawing less than 500mA though.

So I don't quite know why these '2s' controllers should have such a low voltage rating. scratch

Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Me and a mate spent a few winters evenings playing with some hobbyking stuff, including the dirt cheap 20A ESC. His take was that there is probably a minimum voltage required to make it operate, and thats what they are specifying. I mean I wouldn't connect it to a 24V traction battery, but there is probably a bit of margin at the higher end. One thing about the HK ESC though - on a 7.2V wet battery I got a chopper 'whistle' at low speeds which died off when I got to the top quarter of the speed range - have you noticed anything similar ?

I shall have to find a home for it in a tram - I have a crappy model of a Tatra KT4 so it should sound about right. I knew nothing about R/C so I followed Bills instructions, including the servo switch thingy, and it worked first time ! Shortly followed by a stiff bollocking for driving trains across the dining room table I hasten to add.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyThu May 23, 2013 5:42 am

I didn't notice this chopper whistle effect but there was some erratic behaviour like a drag or lagging. I'm not sure these Hobbyking controllers like lead acid type batteries or maybe I had inadvertently activated some brake/inertia function. study

What does get on my nerves is the start up procedure in making sure the transmitter throttle is in the correct position before switching on everything otherwise is doesn't work and just bleeps insolently at you!

Having said all that they are good value for money.

For the Chinese ones I ordered one as a kit to see what components are used and maybe play around with them..... Smile

dtsteam wrote:

I shall have to find a home for it in a tram - I have a crappy model of a Tatra KT4 so it should sound about right. I knew nothing about R/C so I followed Bills instructions, including the servo switch thingy, and it worked first time ! Shortly followed by a stiff bollocking for driving trains across the dining room table I hasten to add.

We haven't had much tram stuff lately.......any pics? (maybe not on the dining room table though....).
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyThu May 23, 2013 12:25 pm

I don't know either how the voltage is rated. The number in the rating (such as 2S or 3S) indicates the number of Li-ion cells @ 3.7 V apiece. They usually quote a rating for NiMH as well; a 3S is generally rated for 10 NiMH (12V). I too have "pushed" the ratings. I have used 3S controllers with 14.4V power packs without a problem.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyThu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

What does get on my nerves is the start up procedure in making sure the transmitter throttle is in the correct position before switching on everything otherwise is doesn't work and just bleeps insolently at you!

I've had that as well, but to be fair when you read the model aircraft guys view about R/C they have some safety concerns, including propellers flying around when you switch the radio on. Lets face it, the worst we are going to do is drive an engine into the buffers, and if my experience is anything to go by, you don't even need radio control to achieve that.... clown
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Well seein as its gone a bit quiet around here I thought I'd have a quick catch up on the cheapo speed controllers. I got one of my battery chassis going at the weekend with the ESC that started this thread and it was ideal for what I want. Its probably a bit slow on my 6v wet batteries for most people, but I was looking for something just to start gently and potter round a fairly short track. At 7.5 GBP for the ESCand  7 GBP for a hobbyking receiver the electronics are cheaper than the battery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Speed controllers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speed controllers   Speed controllers Empty

Back to top Go down

Speed controllers
Page 1 of 1