Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

li-ion batteries

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fm12

fm12

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 pm

One or two people on other forums have been recommending li-ion batteries,so I thought I would give one a try.
First problem not all chinese ebay sellers will ship to France,but I did find one seller who would ship to France and he supplied me with a 12v 9800mAh.

li-ion batteries 01111

As per recommendations I taped up the supply male plug and just use the charging socket for supply and recharging.
The battery was charged when it arrived(12vs) so I attached it to a Aristocraft lil-critter with a trail truck to carry the battery.
Having no speed controller fitted and the speed of the critter being a tad quick for my liking,I also attached seven tank cars.
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 11:18 pm

The pic shows the critter with the cab missing waiting for a repaint.

li-ion batteries 00916

Over the course of the last few days,I`ve run the train a total of 17 hours.This evening there was a marked down turn in performance but 17 hours is not bad.I`m impressed.
The battery is now showing a charge of 10.2 volts which is near its cut off point.
Will see tomorrow how long a recharge takes.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 am

Van, can you give the battery dimensions please and a rough idea of pricing.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Van

Can you bring it over when you come tomorrow, I'd like to compare with a Li-ion i've got here.  And see how the 'lil critter goes on my undulating track! 

We could also shoot some video.
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
fm12

fm12

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Van, can you give the battery dimensions please and a rough idea of pricing.

Hi David.
The battery is 120mm long x35mm x65mm plus the cables and a little rocker switch.
To big to fit in a loco but for a trail truck or large tender,its size should not be a problem.
I paid including shipping £29 which from china is abit expensive.The seller still has them on ebay(item no 370278561709) but the price has risen slightly.

I`ve just bought a 6800mAh one of ebay tonight for £13,from china of course(item no 270983550838.

They are available in the UK on ebay (item no 121116065131)but for a 6800mAh, they are is nearly £40.
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Theres one or two threads about these batteries on GSC under battery power.The original poster Whatlep has quite a bit of experience using li-ions.

Some useful info available
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Hi Van

Can you bring it over when you come tomorrow, I'd like to compare with a Li-ion i've got here.  And see how the 'lil critter goes on my undulating track! 

We could also shoot some video.

I`ll be there with a battery Shoema and Carl`s diesel
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Here's the vid..

Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sponsored content

li-ion batteries Empty
PostSubject: Re: li-ion batteries   li-ion batteries Empty

Back to top Go down

li-ion batteries
Page 1 of 1