Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge. Empty
PostSubject: Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge.   Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 5:36 pm

Theres an unloading facility darn sarf that I am going to sort of copy. LaFarge operates out of a number of depots around the country. The one I am talking about is just North of Radlett in Hartfordshire. The railway line in the depot is a circle with a short connection to the adjacent Midland Main Line. Trains enter and go round in an anticlockwise direction towards the unloader.The unloader is far enough away from the entrance point to get the train in clear before the train has to unload( Be silly to block the main line whilst unloading). I think, but am not sure, that the wagons have to be unloaded automatically like a coal Merry go round wagon. The wagons are unloaded as the train continues back round to the now normalised entry point. When the train is m/t, the loco unhooks and continues round a/c/w, alone, to meet the rear of the train. It is hooked on the rear(now front) and exits the yard in a clockwise direction.

A brilliantly simple solution for train operation. You can clearly see this on Google maps. Type in Radlett, find the MML and head north for a mile or two.

I'm going to do a loader with some R1s, Bachmann Davenport and some HLW/Bachmann side tippers(manual unloading!). Unsure about the building for the loader yet but it will come no doubt. Plywood painted black probably! Not very good at buildings. Alternatively, does anyone know of a suitable building for a trainloader supplied by a conveyer?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge.   Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Spot on with your method of working. I used to work trains round there from Mountsorrell in the late 80's with Class 56's.

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge.   Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 8:54 pm

I cheated...... while I was working for BR S&T I stood watching a train in action....er... while working of course. Is it still in operation?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge.   Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 9:42 pm

Yes, it's still in operation. DB Schenker (ex EWS) have a new sub-depot at Mountsorrel which trips into Radlett.

Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge.   Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge. EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 10:11 pm

Excellent. A signing on point in the village I grew up in(B-O-S). If it had been there when I was 16, I would have been a train driver.

I take it that DBSchenker will be binning the American locos and introducing squadron G2000 forthwith?

bzzzzt bzzzt bzzzt bzzzt bzzzt its Ok it's my alarm clock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge.   Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge. Empty

Back to top Go down

Novel loading/unloading method nicked from Redlands/LaFarge.
Page 1 of 1