Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Now or Next year

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fm12

fm12

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 11:09 pm

I was hoping to buy a live steamer next year(my first),track will not be down before then.The problem is Track Shack have the manual lawley listed at £650 and in stock.I`m a sucker for 0-6-0 engines,I have a few on my 00 setup.So the edrig and caradoc are out of the equation,as good as they are reported to be.Should I buy now at what appears to me a good price,or do you think these engines next year will still be at a fair price.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 8:44 am

Don't be in a rush to buy your first live steam locomotive. There are always bargains out there to be had.

I would recommend the Lawley. Although I don't have one it is essentially the same as the other generic Accucraft engines. I looked very seriously at buying a Wrekin (a more European looking version) as I too like the thought of an 0-6-0 (030 or 'zero trente').
£650 does represent very good value for money and 'out-of-the-box' running. It is difficult to predict if the prices are going to increase. So far nobody is saying very much.

There are other options though.

You could always hunt round the net and look for an 18yr old LGB/Aster Frank S for a little more money if an 0-6-0 with tender interests you. You might even find one with wheels that turn. Evil or Very Mad

Seriously,

How about something in kit form. Roundhouse make popular, easy to build kits in stages and you can buy each stage (chassis, boiler, bodywork) as you want or need.
Back to top Go down

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 9:48 am

My first steam loco came from Roundhouse and I am delighted with the quality of build, performance and customer service I have received. They even fixed the bits I managed to break FOC.

Cheers Geoff
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 8:09 pm

I agree with GeoffW. The whole experience of building one's first loco, a Lady Anne kit, was exhilarating.

Great learning curve, saves money, very satisfying and can't really fail to produce a good working loco.

The worst case scenario is you have to contact Doncaster to get something fixed and even that is a good experience> Their service is so good Roundhouse wont let you fail.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 9:27 pm

There are so many factors at work here, it has to be a personal decision at the end of the day!

FISCAL
The Euro is currently strong against the pound, but the UK will likely come out of recession whilst Europe is still in the worst of it. Therefore if you're valuing in Euro's (ie have a Euro income and thinking of buying out of the UK ( say Accucraft UK or Roundhouse) BUY NOW!
If you're valuing in Sterling (have a UK income stream) and plan to buy a UK product Brandbright/ Roundhouse for example no panic.

On the other hand if you look at the high quality German products like Regner the reverse applies.

KIT or RTR
I have recently purchased an RTR Edrig from the UK - I have learnt so much simply from running this loco that I now have the confidence and desire to make my second purchase a kit (almost certainly a Regner Lumberjack). I'm not sure if I'd started with a kit that I would have known if any running problems were down to either my construction skills or my operating skills. The problem with kits as a first experience, unless you get it right first time or have superb aftersales, you may be put off live steam which would be a tragedy. Of course I don't know if you've a PhD in mechanical engineering?

The opinions expressed here (like my own) are typically based on the personal decision we've made and the desire to get others to follow our example.

Just remember it's the things that we don't do in life that we regret more than the things we have done!

Whatever you do and however you do it just make sure you do get into Live Steam - you won't regret it! And there's loads of quality help on this forum whatever route you take!

Bon chance

Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
fm12

fm12

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks for the replies
Yes I agree with everything that as been said.At the moment,what with the house refurb and working part-time I am to put it bluntly time poor.So my first steam loco will have to be ready to run.
Except for Mike on GSM who had a Millie he could never get to run right, I`ve not seen a bad word about Roundhouse,and am tempted with a black LadyAnne.
Yet as I said in my original post I`m sucker for 0-6-0 locos and at £650 the Lawley even with only two colour options looks good value to me.Yesterday I thought soddit I`ll take a chance on exchange rates and wait until next year,today whilst marking out where the the track is going to run,I`m thinking get on the phone tomorrow and get one ordered.
As they say watch this space.
Which leads me on to another question,if I go ahead and buy will I do the engine any harm by running it a few times while supported on blocks.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:52 pm

No, it won't do any harm running it on blocks. It will help run it in a little.

Better would be to run it on a set of roller blocks then it is running under some load of it's own weight.

These roller blocks can be obtained reasonably cheaply and could be worth investing in for longer term maintenance use.

Mine come from Aristocraft.

Aristocraft rollblock
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Thinking along the lines that next year never comes and the preverbial bus is round the corner.I`ve bought a Lawley of John at track shack.I`ll be at Geoffs in July complete with L plates. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:45 pm

fm12 wrote:
Thinking along the lines that next year never comes and the preverbial bus is round the corner.I`ve bought a Lawley of John at track shack.I`ll be at Geoffs in July complete with L plates. Very Happy

That's a great investment - you won't regret it!

Can't remember if you've got track to test it on?

You're more than welcome to pop over here to test run it !

Brian
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks Brian.
Just got home today from the UK but going back on Monday Crying or Very sad
When I return hopefully in a few days and there are no giant carrots swinging about,I`m planning to have 3 weeks off.Wifey of course( I assume every female of the species is the same) has three weeks of work lined up for me.I`m sure though I can blag a day off,so will take you up on the offer of a test run.I`ll ring when I get back.

Thanks Van
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 7:52 am

Hi Van

Thanks for your PM. It would be great if Mikey can make it too when you come over in a couple of weeks?

Will keep everyone posted via PM's and this thread!

Cheers Brian
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 11:10 am

Don't forget the pics chaps if you do all meet up.

Looks like Geoff's do is going to be big on live steam.

I'm going there for a recce and 'site planning meeting' weekend after next.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 5:30 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
Don't forget the pics chaps if you do all meet up.

Looks like Geoff's do is going to be big on live steam.

I'm going there for a recce and 'site planning meeting' weekend after next.

Anyone else allowed along???

B
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Now or Next year Empty
PostSubject: Re: Now or Next year   Now or Next year Empty

Back to top Go down

Now or Next year
Page 1 of 1