Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Weathered Spremberger

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Weathered Spremberger Empty
PostSubject: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySat May 02, 2009 12:25 pm

I'd always wanted a tendered loco, and not having enough funds "spare" to purchase one I thought I'd have a go at bashing my own.

The only loco that I had that I was willing to take a knife to was an LGB Spremberger that I'd picked up on German Ebay a few years ago. Its a very early version that has no electrics other than the motorblock (including skates), no lights, sound or smoke unit.

Foolishly I didn't take a great many pics during the bash so what I have pictorially is limited to some pics from the web and a couple I took during the build

Here's a pic of the donor loco

Weathered Spremberger Post-20-1233495476

I managed to pick up an LGB Toytrain tender from Ebay for a few quid

Weathered Spremberger Tender

First job was to strip down the loco (3 screws) and then hacksaw the rear of the cab and the coal hopper away to leave an open footplate

Weathered Spremberger IMG_0458

The cab was then lined in plasticard, an extension to the existing roof profile created and the cab sides extended

Weathered Spremberger IMG_0465

A lot of filling, rubbing down and re-filling then took place to blend the new parts into the original loco body. This was then sprayed all over with Railmatch BR Black enamel paint (I did try spraying red panels on the water tanks - but to be honest it looked bloody awful!) The loco was then put to one side and left (for about 18 months if I'm honest! Laughing )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySat May 02, 2009 12:37 pm

The tender has the small Feldbahn wheels on it "as supplied" and therefore the tender sat way to low compared to the loco cab floor, so by adding full size wheels and lifting the tender by about 6mm on the chassis the tender sat at the right height behind the loco. I also lowered the height of the coal hopper by about 5mm.

Weathered Spremberger IMG_8679

This again was sprayed all over with Railmatch BR Black

A real coal load was added as were pickup wheels and an LGB steam sound unit.

In the picture above you can see the electrical connection (above the loop coupling and below the tender floor). This give the loco pickup across 8 wheels and 2 skates.

Final jobs were to drill a hole in the chimney to add a smoke unit, add a single light at the front of the loco and two lights on the rear of the tender (these two lights are dummies and do not illuminate)

Then on to the weathering Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySat May 02, 2009 12:43 pm

Weathering has been done by using Games Workshop Acrylics (dry brushing, washing etc). The rust is by using Scenic Rust and the road dust has been sprayed on by airbrush.

Weathered Spremberger IMG_8670

The canvas hood over the rear of the footplate is made from an old handkerchief and the stays from some brass rod

Weathered Spremberger IMG_8661

Weathered Spremberger IMG_8674

Weathered Spremberger IMG_8671
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySat May 02, 2009 12:48 pm

AN MTS chip has been added to the loco and controls the front light, smoke unit and I also chopped out the grille on the backplate to add a fireglow effect in the grate.

Weathered Spremberger IMG_8662

And finally the tender

Weathered Spremberger IMG_8681

This model of the loco and tender won me the "Alan Day" trophy at GRail this year which is awarded for "Best use of a proprietary item as a base" - which I think means "kit-bash"! Laughing

Please feel free to ask any questions

Cheers

Ian S
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySat May 02, 2009 8:27 pm

A great bash Ian. Is that the Toytrain tender with the push-button 'sound' unit?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySun May 03, 2009 9:14 am

Yes Clive thats the one - I stripped out the Toytrain sound and added the LGB "generic" European steam sound unit
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySun May 03, 2009 11:25 am

Now that i like, very much!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySun May 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Ian won the top prize at G Rail at Nottingham for his efforts. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySun May 03, 2009 7:02 pm

paul stainz holt wrote:

I'm not surprised. Well done, that's a great piece of weathered modelling and a very plausible bash.

Now I wonder if anyone would dare weather a Frank S like that..... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger EmptySun May 03, 2009 7:36 pm

carl hibbs wrote:
paul stainz holt wrote:

I'm not surprised. Well done, that's a great piece of weathered modelling and a very plausible bash.

Now I wonder if anyone would dare weather a Frank S like that..... Shocked

Not saying its as competent...........but I did :

Weathered Spremberger Lgb05110
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weathered Spremberger   Weathered Spremberger Empty

Back to top Go down

Weathered Spremberger
Page 1 of 1