Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...

Go down 
+2
mikeyh
clive_t
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Empty
PostSubject: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySat May 30, 2009 3:47 pm

...In case anyone was starting to form the opinion that I only ever do threads on figures, here is another little project I have been working on over the last few weekends. A goods shed, cunningly fashioned from some offcuts of annodised steel mesh and some ice lolly sticks, and yet more tin cans, in the manner most beloved of our Mikey...

First the initial framework, wired together with some thin gauge brass wire:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods1

Then start cladding the outside with some lolly sticks, which have previously undergone some basic timber treatment - they have been lobbed into a jar of thinned 'creosote substitute' Cool. The door frame is made from some rocket (firework) sticks, sourced locally (ie my back garden and the surrounding streets on New Years Day)...

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods2

Make the canopy edging with the ends of the lolly sticks. Hint - try a number of locos and van-type wagons to establish loading gauge!

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods3

Continue the cladding along the back wall:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods4

Then start cladding the curved roof. Curved food tins make the ideal covering, as they also have that nice realistic 'corrugated iron' look:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods5

Then, decide that the opposite side of the roof could use some sort of support too:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods6

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods6b

Finally, for now anyway, make some more progress on the roof as more 'raw materials' become available - from last night's tea:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods7

Cost so far: a couple of quid's worth of glue (Evo-Stik impact adhesive, which I already had anyway). More pics as and when progress is made...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySat May 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Brilliant Clive, as Glyn (SWMBO) says 'its good to see something that you wouldnt see on any other railway'. I think she was paying you a compliment? Smile

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySat May 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Looks a bit 'Correze' to me.

The vertical wood planking is typical of that area on station buildings and goods sheds. Look forward to see more progress.

Nice....Smile

This is definitely becoming a 'garden railway modellers' forum rather than one for armchair enthusiasts.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun May 31, 2009 3:14 pm

I would say, less 'Correze' and more 'crazy' ho ho ho etc Rolling Eyes

I have to confess, also, that I am something of an armchair modeller:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Armchair1

Last edited by clive_t on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun May 31, 2009 3:32 pm

MMM i should change from Magnum to some more common ice lolly sticks, magnum sticks don't have the right shapes.

A lot of ingenuity here. study
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun May 31, 2009 4:31 pm

How are you fixing the roof panels Clive?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun May 31, 2009 5:15 pm

Just glue (Evo-Stik) and folding the sheets of tinplate over the metal runners. Cheap-n-cheerful!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 12:08 am

A bit more progress over the weekend - stand by for image overload....

Applying the valencing to the opposite end:
Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods8

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods8b

Added canopy supporting leg at opposite end and a bit more progress on the roof:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods9

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods9b

Bit of a tight squeeze:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods9c

Some bracing on the canopy supporting legs, and yet more progress on the roof - not yet finished, though:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods10

I still have some work to do on this beast though (and beast it is, too; all that steel mesh and tin cans is starting to get a bit weighty!) - I want to make some doors (bi-fold for the 'goods' side) and I might try and tart up the interior with some (cosmetic) timber framing. But it's coming along!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:13 am

....Chapeau monsieur.... Laughing

Not just an interesting building but ingenious use of materials. The vertical wood planking could easily be from south of France.

And it's 'living' as well....well decaying actually in a nice way. That should rust very well in the (English) South Coast air.

The wagon too looks the part.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 5:53 am

Really looking the part Clive. The strong winds won't move that baby!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:01 am

Very impressed and trying to acqire my own supply of cans for a French Garage project I have in mind.

Fortunately/Unfortunately we tend to grow our own fruit and veg and buy very little canned stuff!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:04 am

Ah... a diet of baked beans on toast for two weeks is prescribed!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:05 am

...Or a chat with your local restauranter, who probably throws hundreds of them away

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:19 am

Unfortunately our local restaurant* has just closed, and we grow our own "haricot blanc".
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 8:10 pm

Well I had some time this weekend to complete the roof, and the valencing, and a bit more preservative on the walls etc:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods11

Another shot of the 'interior' - a bit blurred, but you get the idea:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods11b

I guess I need to make a set of doors for the goods side, and another single door for the opposite side now. Whilst I am waiting for the opportunity to do that, though, this puppy will be out in whatever the British "Summer" will throw at it, so at least the roof can get straight on with the task of looking rusty...
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 12:00 pm

A bit more progress over the weekend, albeit slightly off-thread. I had some spare wire mesh, which, I reasoned, would look passable as some kind of security fencing to prevent passengers (and indeed goods yard staff!) from straying where they oughtn't...

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods12

You can hopefully make out that there is a much finer mesh attached to it (not complete yet, obviously!) - this came from an old 'anti-splash' cover, that goes over a frying pan to stop hot fat from flying everywhere. In fact it is readily available at car accessory shops (for car body repairs etc) and indeed Hobbycraft although probably more expensive for that.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Its much cheaper than that in the shops and just as effective! Great idea Clive

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Fencing completed today...

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods13

Eagle-eyed persons will notice the razor wire atop the fencing. I have to confess here that I actually bought that from my local 'Games Workshop' outlet. Having said that, it was an impulse buy from probably more than a year ago, and it's only with happening to notice the pack still unopened in my 'bits' box that the inspiration came as to where I could make use of it.

Here's how it looks from the 'passenger' side of the platform:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods13b

I should resist the temptation to build a machine-gun tower and a working search-light! Cool

Finally, as evidence that Mother Nature seems to be taking the hint, the roof is starting to take on a brownish tinge in places:

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods13c

Given the rain we had last night, I'm amazed it's still in place, instead of floating down the opposite end of the garden... Sad
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 6:48 pm

I don't think you need that level of security around a POLA building !

They're not a patch on your scratchbuilds!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 6:59 pm

I take it thats a nuclear flask under that hessian!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 8:21 pm

Once again for a forum of 60 members there's a tremendous amount of creative, imaginative and top quality modelling.

No wonder other forums are jealous. Twisted Evil

You don't only build models but models that are (by design) only fully completed naturally by leaving them in the garden.

Pretty amazing.

In reality I dunno about the barbed wire Clive....a bit scary....bad memories......gives me the shivers..... I have this urge to go and get 'cammed up' and get the lads together for a full scale platoon assault....Watson..... O group, 2300 Zulu time.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 5:27 pm

Looks military Clive........nicely done.

Secret weapon under the tarp on the wagon ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 8:03 pm

Yes, I have to say the resulting military feel to the place was entirely unintentional; a liberal sprinkling of some platform-related paraphernalia will hopefully dilute that look.

As for what is under the tarpaulin: well, here's a sneaky pic of the item being delivered back in April 2008. I could tell you what purpose it serves, but then... you know what I would have to do Shocked

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... DSCF0359

In fact, it's a piece of card-stamping kit, much used and abused by the MD 'til it finally gave up its tenuous grip on life. She was for binning it, but to me it looked way too interesting to do that, so a quick once-over with some black spray paint, and voila - an interesting wagon load, with potential for much discussion as to its imaginary purpose! Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 8:25 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Once again for a forum of 60 members there's a tremendous amount of creative, imaginative and top quality modelling.

No wonder other forums are jealous. Twisted Evil

You don't only build models but models that are (by design) only fully completed naturally by leaving them in the garden.

Pretty amazing.

In reality I dunno about the barbed wire Clive....a bit scary....bad memories......gives me the shivers..... I have this urge to go and get 'cammed up' and get the lads together for a full scale platoon assault....Watson..... O group, 2300 Zulu time.

Sah!!!
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Nearly 2 weeks later, and things are definitely happening to the roof!

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Scamp_goods14
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...   Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way... Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Railway Building, the Mikey Way...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next