Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How is Edrig ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pjti

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Been in bits a few months for a bit of customising.

Fitted handrails around smokebox.

Fitted a globe valve and piping to simulate cylinder drain cocks when blowing down.

Attempts to make a whistle failed but have obtained a Mamod one for which I await inspiration re plumbing it in.

Shoved a foil from a leccy shaver up the burner - results in a very quiet burn such that I can hear the chuffs now. I suspect, as Carl has warned previously, that this has also made burner more efficient. I actually ran out of water before gas after my customary gas top up when steam was up ( was using 70/30 gas tho) .

Swapped out the HiTech 40mhz gear for a 2.4ghz Spektrum setup - first couple of steam ups have been promising and I am very impressed with the level of control compared to the old system, but this was on an indoor test track and rollers. Micro servo's on steam reg and reverser.

In the process of fabricating a cab and cosmetic changes to smokebox (which needs painting)

Unfortunately I have far too much spare time and so everything loses it's urgency, in Spain they say "Manana" meaning "I'll do it tomorrow" with me it's "proxima semana" = next week.

Patrick - smoke free 6 months
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Glad you're smoke free...nearly 7 months. No fags here!Mad

Have you seen Brian's fabricated cab?

Before you build one let me know as I feel like changing the cab on my Caradoc. Is your Edrig red/marron type colour? If so we might be able to talk.
Back to top Go down
pjti

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Keep me in mind Carl, I have started carving big lumps of metal - chances are that's as far as I will get, just don't seem able to do anything right these days. I wonder if it's all the medication I'm on - oh and the brandy in my coffee.

[Thread drift off]
Yes I saw Brians and I absolutely hate him for doing a great job.
Green is the colour but one thing I can do well is paint - see I am not useless after all.

Patrick - nearly 7 months - wow
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Patrick have you got any pics ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
pjti

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 9:25 pm

Sorry Brian no pics at present - it would be too scary at the mo'. Maybe in a few days time I will get my head sorted and make it presentable.

Oh for those of you who are not on the other fora - seems that accucraft are ceasing production of Edrig and Caradoc soon.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:13 am

pjti wrote:
Oh for those of you who are not on the other fora - seems that accucraft are ceasing production of Edrig and Caradoc soon.

Yes it's being discussed on the 'other channel' at the moment but it would appear one new locomotive is going to replace the two existing.

It also looks like the 0-4-0 (thats 020 to us here) power unit will still be available.

I have also posted about the modular concept we talked about here first which seems to be favourable with 'Track Shack' John.

And he also hints at a possible 0-6-0 (030) power unit in the future too.

There was something quite serious about crimson painted Lawleys and Edrigs being recalled too...principally the ones supplied to or being used in mainland Europe as the colour pigment didn't conform to the latest NF/EU specifications.
I said I would be able to help on that one and act as a collecting point for them.
I will let you know more when I receive further details direct from Accucraft.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:21 am

Yes, for once an interesting discussion! I think the modular idea is bril and although the retailer suggests that more stock would have to be held to cater for different colours/models; the opposite is in fact true because the buying in price of just the bodies would be a lot cheaper than buying complete units. Keep on it Carl ,I can see more orders for tram engines forthcoming!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:33 am

Quote :
There was something quite serious about crimson painted Lawleys and Edrigs being recalled too...principally the ones supplied to or being used in mainland Europe as the colour pigment didn't conform to the latest NF/EU specifications.
I said I would be able to help on that one and act as a collecting point for them.

Is Bastille Day a bit like All Fools Day in France then ?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 am

Yes you are right actually Mikey and the (mainly flat) body parts could be easier to store and package than complete bodies.

Plus too that it opens up more possibilities for the accessory manuafcturers and 'improvers' like Milton engineering or Acme. It is a lot easier to fabricate one new panel say a bunke or spectacle plate and substitute that than cut, modify and resolder the entire body.

And of course you can see where I coming from in that continental conversions become a realistic and easy possibility.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:40 am

pjti wrote:
Quote :

Is Bastille Day a bit like All Fools Day in France then ?

N'importe quoi....! jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How is Edrig ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How is Edrig ?   How is Edrig ? Empty

Back to top Go down

How is Edrig ?
Page 1 of 1