Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LGB Point/signal motor unit operation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

LGB Point/signal motor unit operation Empty
PostSubject: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 10:37 am

Hi chaps, I have cleared up the house and garden in preparation for the thin controllers return from UK and can turn my mind to the railway again.
I am sure we have an expert out there who has access to published information or already knows the answer to my query.
I have several LGB signals with motors (they seem the same as point motors) and would like to use the output from a supplementory switch on the points to operate them.
I will need a seperate power supply to them I imagine but how do I wire them?

Your answers on a postcard please

Question
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 3:00 pm

Sorry Geoff I meant to send you some info, but when I checked with my book it only covers EPL non mts circuits. What it does say is that the signals are operated by momentary contact switches and I don’t think the supplementary switches for the points are. So something more ingenious will be required unless the switch decoder has such an output, which thinking about it, it must to operate the point motors. So just wire he signal motor as if it was a point working in unison, and it should repeat the point position.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Geoff

I can't help Embarassed but why not PM Jeremy or hope he picks it up via this thread?

I know the Navigator can only operate one switch decoder assigned number at a time, I'm not sure if the power output from the decoder is enough to operate two EPL devices simultaneously?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 7:59 pm

No need for power supplies and all this Mammoth m'larky... Evil or Very Mad

You could wire them directly together very easily!

If they're in a straight line it would be better otherwise you will need some angle cranks or some wire in tube or bowden type cable would work well too. Basketball
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
No need for power supplies and all this Mammoth m'larky... Evil or Very Mad

You could wire them directly together very easily!

If they're in a straight line it would be better otherwise you will need some angle cranks or some wire in tube or bowden type cable would work well too. Basketball

Luddite, next thing you'll be wanting to run locomotives with primitive steam like in the dark ages.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 8:25 am

I was going to make some comment about Luddites and Cotton Mills, but I better not.

Geoff I have checked with my instructions for my 55025 switch decoder. It says that each output can take 1500ma and the unit itself 3000ma so that is quite a bit. I don’t know what a point motor takes but will check with Jeremy on Monday but I should not think that it is anything like approaching 1500ma
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 9:32 am

A single output from the 55025 can be used to throw several point/signal motors at the same time but I would not attach more than two.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks Mark, that's useful information and I will pass it on to Geoff who is off-line at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks to all who replied, I will give the mutli switch machine optiona go asap

You'r a decent bunch
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Let us know how you get on Geoff and if it works successfully.
It will be good future reference...even for the Luddites. Rolling Eyes

Oh....and keep those chickens away. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 9:57 pm

To confirm my previous post, taken from the LGB 55025 manual...

Quote :

Current draw.
The LGB Switch Decoder needs about 20 mA current
at rest. Each terminal can handle up to 1500 mA.
The maximum current on all terminals is 3000 mA.
Each terminal can operate a maximum of two switch
drives.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LGB Point/signal motor unit operation   LGB Point/signal motor unit operation Empty

Back to top Go down

LGB Point/signal motor unit operation
Page 1 of 1