Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE

Go down 
+6
GWhizz
Bearcastle
Sparkeswood
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
David Grantham
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Saint-Oblas

Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 5:26 am

I am a bit frighten since I use a very similar setup! On the other hand I found on a swiss site a thread showing an apparently successfull belt usage:

http://www.schienendampf.com/34487225nx30160/dieselbetrieben-und-aehnliches-die-ausnahmen-bestaetigen-die-regel-f8/umbau-einer-lgb-2095-in-eine-live-diesel-lok-t2371.html?sid=a528a151dbafc5051924c0c48e35a9f0

Unfortunately I have not been able to exchange with him since he speaks neither french nor english and my german is really very poor.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 8:00 am

The only variables that I thought I could apply to improve the belt durability was

1 Quality of the belt. I used the highest quality I could buy.
2 Use a wider belt. Would it make that much difference ?
3 Increase the pulley size. Not much space available.
4 Vary the tension in the belt. Difficult to test the effects scientifically.

At this point I saw the 2 pin drive option, which is simpler to install, so I abandoned the belt option, though I still feel it must be possible to make it work.

I have quite a lot of pulleys of different radii so if you want to try any please let me know as I would be happy to send them to you just for postage.

Bon chance,
David
Back to top Go down
Saint-Oblas

Saint-Oblas

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 6 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Hello David!

I agree with your statements. Difficult to have a scientific approach in this matter. In modelism, often simplest solutions are best.
I thought of the two pins solution before when I happen to fall on the former thread that gave me the idea of the belt and I decided to try it. I hope it will last at least enough to see the loco going for a run or two! I am not that confident after what you wrote! Especially as my engine is an FS 40 somewhat bigger than yours.
Thank you very much indeed for your proposal. It is very kind of you! For the moment I am not yet in the trying process. I must do a lot of assembly before.
To day I have been struggling through some wiring.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE   Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Live diesel monster, CFG + FEVE
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6