Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello and help with Stainz

Go down 
+6
Paul Stainz Holt
clive_t
GWhizz
Bearcastle
Carl Hibbs
Andrew
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pjti

Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks Paul , and apologies to Andrew for hijacking his thread, and a belated "hello" from Spain, it all sounds very interesting , especially the locosound kitted Stainz. Does the card fit inside with no probs ?
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 5:18 pm

pjti wrote:
Thanks Paul, I had only just found out about the 14v motors but I think its the later one as it has skids. Looked to have had very little use and runs quite smooth - cost me €35 from a dealer at the Dortmund modellbeau this year.

Incidentally I have another (later) which has got "plug in bulbs" are they still 18volts or thereabouts ? I haven't dissected that one either, yet.............

Crikey 35 Euros, bargain ! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Andrew

PostSubject: Lights problem on Stainz - Fixed   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Hello all, Stainz was pulled apart and no problems could be seen, apart from the smoke unit had burnt out at the base. Put it all back together and the lights worked! If I had any hair left I probably would pull some out in frustration at having to strip down a unit to find nothing. At least I learn how to strip and assemble the Stainz. Thanks for all the help and comments and I haven't forgot the photos -My daughter has the camera and she has just returned from Norway and Britian, so I wait for her to relinquish the camera. Regards Andrew
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 3:52 am

It was all worth it Andrew. Think how easy its going to be next time! Very Happy

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 10:20 am

I contacted Peter at Mylocosound about the new card that has new sounds (Whistles and bells). I asked if it is possible to modify my card. Peter asked me to sent it to him and last week I received the reply that it is easier for him to send the latest card to me. It arrived today and now is installed in the Stainz. It sounds great! I mounted the 8 ohm speaker inside the roof and the mylocosound card lays on the cabin floor. A 9volt battery for steam hiss when stationary and when power is applied to get the train moving the chuff starts. A small screwdriver adjusts the starting chuff, maximum rate of chuff & whistle sound. Also there is a volume for the chuff. I also installed a switch to turn the sound off if needed. I remember when I first joined the Australian garden railway club (LGB and G scale) a member told me that sound is great but it is nice to turn it off now and again! Next project is to tune the whistle to a sound I like. I think that out here in Australia it is great value at $95au. The nearest I found was Aristocraft dallee sound card at about $150au. When I want to buy one none were available. Anyway I am quite happy with the one I have.
Photos were taken the other day of my layout so when I have time I will place a few for members to enjoy. Regards from Andrew
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 am

Please do keep the photos coming Andrew!

And pleased your problems are finally sorted!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Next bit of help required is how do I remove rear light on Stainz to replace light? I want to install led's. Regards Andrew
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Andrew wrote:
Next bit of help required is how do I remove rear light on Stainz to replace light? I want to install led's. Regards Andrew

For push in type lights........get a very fine blade and prise the clear lense out of the black lamp.
Get a pair of fine nosed pliers and gently pull the bulb out.
If you want to remove the whole lamp assembly, you have to turn the loco so that cab is face down, then the white reflector should drop out, revealing a single Philips head screw, which, when unscrewed will let you remove the lamp.
To get at the wiring though, you need to partly dsmantle the loco to separate boiler from cab, then remove the rear cab glazing (one piece) to get at the wiring set up for the light and the rear power socket.

Hope this helps. Smile
If its an older screw in bulb, its a diferent process - but from your posts above, I think its a push in bulb.
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks Paul for this information. I am getting good at removing cabin now. Internet connection intermitent due to high winds and bush fires in area. Been busy making sure house and yard is clean in case of any fire near here. Main highway is not useable for last 2 days due to large fires. Any way will work in shedon train and listen to local radio for announcements and keep an eye out at same time. Regards and cheers to all, Andrew
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello and help with Stainz   Hello and help with Stainz - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello and help with Stainz
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2