Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Andrew

New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways Empty
PostSubject: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 am

This is some photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways.

New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways Trains10
New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways Trains11
New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways Trains12
New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways Trains13
New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways Trains14
New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways Trains15
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 am

Hi Andrew. Interesting pics! Is it an indoor layout? or is it outdoor through the arch? Presumably your wooden structures are scratchbuilt? What wood/glue have you used?
Nice to see the international popularity of the Stainz!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 9:04 am

Hello Mikey,
It is an indoor & outdoor layout. A double tunnel leading into the shed, 6 metre long double tracks with siding and another currently under construction. That is the double track under the coal tipple in the photo. Track returns to a single to go out the tunnel at the end of the shed and has a 4 ft diameter turn outside and then returns into the shed via another tunnel, then back out the original double tunnel. Because of the distance between tunnel due to the radius of the outside curve, I built a 3 foot long turntable which leads to a 4 bay engine shed with 3 small sidings. A total of about 200 ft of track across the garden, with a double bridge over a pond. The bridge is about 4 ft off the ground to give a reasonable level track ( 1 in 6 in places) as I am on a sloping block of land. At the rear of the block I can see over the roof of my house, so it gives an idea of the slope.
All structures are scratch built, to the point of cutting timber from scrap wood on my bench saw & band saw. I usually see a photo of something that I like and copy it to the size I need. Glue is the Aquahere, which is basic indoor wood glue. All my buildings are stored indoors and taken outside when needed.
I have had Bachman, Aristocraft but found that LGB is the most reliable for running. It seems that the wheels on other brands seem to lose their track power conductivity due to coating on wheels which wears off. I recently replaced the Little critter power unit with a USA trains power unit. It seems that the wheels as well as the shoes make an enormous difference to running smoothly. If you paint the outside of the shoes with matt black paint you wont notice themm as much. Also this last week I replaced all locos with LED's, which is great for outside night running. I am getting ready for summer over here. We expect it to be very hot as we have already had bushfires about a month ago. It only burnt out 2000 hectares with only one house lost. This very early for the fire season.
Andrew
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 9:44 pm

Nice buildings Andrew, tons of character to them - good use of scrap materials to make them too! Do you have any pics of the outdoor bit of your empire?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 5:40 am

G'day Clive, I will ask my wife to get the camera out and see what we come up with. Sorry I took so long to reply as the local server went "down" through the night and has come back on line about 10 minutes ago.
Andrew
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 6:34 am

Hi Andrew, another great character layout.

I love to see plans of people's empires if you have one.

Something looks curiously different about your track. I can see spiked wooden sleepers but the plastic stuff doesn't look 'standard' either. What have you done there!?

BTW, there is another chap who has just joined the forum from Bomaderry.
Back to top Go down
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 8:17 am

Hello Carl, when I started in garden railways, I joined the LGB & G scale Model Railway Club of Australia. ( http://www.trainweb.org/lgbofozclub/index.html ) They had track made for members at a reduced price and they still do. I could only afford the brass track (325 gauge)and and not the sleepers. So I made the sleepers cut from timber trellis work. A few years later I bought 250 gauge track (AML)at a good price and made a large extension to the layout. I made the tapered rails to match the 325 to 250 gauge to give a level join. I intend to replace the timber with commercial sleepers as money allows, which can be bought through the club.
If you look at the club site, the links will take you to various gardens and trains. Some have excellent tips and tricks that are worth looking at. Toshi Yoshioka's site & Sandstone & Termite are great. Also look at Pamak Hobbies, especially my favourite page, the preloved section. He (Kevin King) also has about half a kilometer of track on his property, so makes great running days for our trains.
I was at Rex's place yesterday having some "training" and that is why he is now a member of this site. He has a layout in the backyard.
Regards Andrew
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 am

Andrew, hope you don't mind I took the liberty of editing the above post to make the web address a clickable link Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 8:33 am

Really nice train line.

I looked at the link and I spend hours looking the site of Toshi Yoshioka, really impressive as well. Lot's of tips and how-to do lot's of things.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Andrew

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 9:54 am

Hello Bearcastle, I like the way he has added extra pickups on the Stainz.
Regards Andrew
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways   New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways Empty

Back to top Go down

New photos of Sandbar and Mudcrab railways
Page 1 of 1