Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag

Go down 
+4
Carl Hibbs
philkelly
mikeyh
KleineDicke
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag Empty
PostSubject: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Just wanted to introduce myself to the members of the forum and say howdy to y'all. I've visited your forum before and decided yesterday to join up. Although I live in Texas, I am quite interested in railroading (both real and garden variety) on the continent. I own mostly LGB stock and mostly European style. I have been a railroad modeler for a long time, and I still have my first train set - a 1955 Lionel O Scale passenger set with Wabash A-B F3 Diesels and aluminum streamliner passenger coaches. My Dad got it for my Christmas present when I was 1 year old. I drifted off into HO scale stuff as a teenager and well into adulthood. Somewhere along the line I was introduced to LGB - I won a starter set in a raffle, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I am fairly well traveled, having seen quite a bit of Europe and Asia on various business trips. I have visited a couple of tourist railways in France - the latest being CFBS last year (what a great little railroad they have- I love their Corpet-Louvets). Somewhat unusual for an American, I can actually speak (somewhat) other languages, namely Français, Deutsch, and Bahasa Indonesia. Also unusual for an American, I actually like France (and most of the French folks I have met); I'm also a fan of Edith Piaf's music.

Hopefully future trips to the continent will allow time to perhaps make a visit to some garden railways as well.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:45 pm

hi Bill and welcome to the forum. I have a very good friend who lives at Mission in Texas, not too far from you. Re your user name;I thought everything in Texas was BIG

Mikey Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:58 pm

mikeyh wrote:
hi Bill and welcome to the forum. I have a very good friend who lives at Mission in Texas, not too far from you. Re your user name;I thought everything in Texas was BIG

Mikey Very Happy
Hello, Mikey.

Carl warned me you would be the first to comment on my user name. As I told him, the Dicke part is accurate, the Kleine part not so much.

Mission Texas is actually a bit far from Houston, almost 400 miles (close to the border with Mexico). But I am closer than you are Wink .
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Hey 400 miles in Texas?He could be your neighbour!! You're going to fit in OK here, you have a sense of humour!!! As does Scott our other colonial friend

mikey
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Bonjour, Bill:

Playing Piaf, Charles Trenet, Charles Aznavour while running trains is the essence of "tortillardisme" (hope the Academie doesn't ban my neologism!)

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:33 pm

Glad to see to two getting along then. I love you

...mmm Edith Piaf music. I must admit to being a 'fan' myself and I spent some of my younger days at a café in Lille with a cellar bar called le Bateau Ivre where on Thursdays each week people used to gather for Edith Piaf recitals and a sort of Cognac and Gitanes fuelled Karaoke.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:37 pm

Bet they all wore black and smoked very strong gaulloise's Carl Its where the beatniks started!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Bonjour,

Bienvenue Very Happy

Laurent
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:52 pm

philkelly wrote:
Bonjour, Bill:

Playing Piaf, Charles Trenet, Charles Aznavour while running trains is the essence of "tortillardisme" (hope the Academie doesn't ban my neologism!)

Phil
Don't forget Bourvil.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm gonna be a real thicky now (cos all the others will know) but what is the loco in your avatar Bill?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi Bill. Good to see you here. Very Happy

(You no doubt know that your sign in name refers to the loco in your avatar)
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:59 pm

quoi? Explique SVP

mikey
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 6:01 pm

mikeyh wrote:
I'm gonna be a real thicky now (cos all the others will know) but what is the loco in your avatar Bill?

Mikey

Its an LGB loco Mikey - used to be supplied in the digital starter set
along with the yellow Kof shunter
Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag 27020910
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 6:03 pm

mikeyh wrote:
quoi? Explique SVP

mikey

Kleine Dick translates to "Little Dick" Shocked - the name this loco is affectionatelly known as.
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 6:03 pm

paul stainz holt wrote:
mikeyh wrote:
quoi? Explique SVP

mikey

Kleine Dick translates to "Little Dick" Shocked - the name this loco is affectionately known as.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 6:11 pm

ah thankyou Paul! theres me thinking Bill was getting personal!! any idea why this loco attracted the name?

mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Greetings from a rather damp Northern Spain and welcome - pull up a chair make yerself comfy.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Hello, Good evening, and welcome, as one old entertainer says. This is the friendly forum.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 7:39 pm

paul stainz holt wrote:
paul stainz holt wrote:
mikeyh wrote:
quoi? Explique SVP

mikey

Kleine Dick translates to "Little Dick" Shocked - the name this loco is affectionately known as.
Actually, dicke means thick or fat, so Kleine Dicke means the little fat one. A reference to the locomotive's bulky look.

The loco in the avatar is LGB 2076, the Spremberger Stadtbahn locomotive affectionately known as die Kleine Dicke.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 7:57 pm

thanks for that. never a day passes that i dont learn something from this forum!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Bill,

As the other Francophile American on the list, welcome!

philkelly wrote:
Bonjour, Bill:

Phil

And Leo Ferré too.

cheers,
Scot O.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Personally i play the theme tune from 'allo 'allo ( I kid you not!!) cultured arent I?

mikey
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 4:39 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Personally i play the theme tune from 'allo 'allo ( I kid you not!!) cultured arent I?

mikey

I like that show...............ahem..........sorry Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 6:23 pm

What makes me laugh more than the show is my (French) wife's totally straight faced reaction to it. The more serious she gets the more I laugh.

If you like Allo Allo you MUST watch 'La Grande Vadrouille.'

I've posted this before but it is 'Franglais' at it's best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Grande_Vadrouille
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Hilarious, one of the most viewed film in France, a classic, got the DVD somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag   Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello, Bonjour, Guten Tag
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next