Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion Empty
PostSubject: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:07 pm

OK, so here it is- my first battery/RC conversion using the Hobby King hardware I previously wrote about. The subject of this conversion was also my latest kitbash- converting an Americanized tank loco back to something more continental.

I started with this thing – which I picked up cheap on eBay (~$50). It was ugly, but had very little use and ran quite well. Using some bits and pieces I had laying about, a few parts I got from Silvergate and some paint, I was able return it to its German roots. (It could also be French, since it looks like some of the Prussian style locomotives built for the railways of Alsace-Lorraine.)
Image hosted by servimg.com

But along the way, Gustav and I decided we needed battery power and remote control. We also added some extra weight for better grunt.

First, the batteries. After extensive research and testing Wink, I determined 6 AAA batteries could be squeezed into each side tank. I got 12 AAA NiMH batteries (with tabs) and made two battery packs. I also installed a switch to let me select battery or track power (RC works with battery power only). The batteries are 1000 mAh, which gives about 1 1/2 hours running on a full charge.

The RC parts all came from Hobby King and are installed as you see. They are held in place by velcro. The ESC is rated for 12 volts, but it will take 14.4 with no problem. Judging from the full speed of the loco, 12 volts (10 cells) would have been plenty, though.

A DPDT switch was attached to a servo with super glue to serve as a reverse switch. The servo and switch are also held in place with velcro. Things are a bit tight in the cab, so Gustav has to be careful so as not to trip (having one's feet glued to the floor has its advantages).

The antenna wire was run up over the boiler and held down with zip ties; a charging port is under the cab, accessible from the side.

Another view of the charging port, under the cabin.

And now, the finished product. I kind of like the looks of it. cheers So does Gustav. Driving the Circus Lok always embarrassed him. I’ll need to add some lettering and maybe a touch of weathering.

Another view; I think I see Gustav smiling Very Happy.

And a final view.

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. It runs smoothly, pulls well, and, I think, looks good.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Neat conversion job in a very small space.

It shows that anything is possible to convert to R/C.

Excuse my ignorance but what loco is it?

If the chassis was black it could well pass off for something that SACM might have produced.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:25 pm

mmmmmmmm nice, can't you get one of those ESC things that do reverse as well ? surely r/c cars have them. But I do like the analogue solution to the problem. Black frames and running boards would be nice too. I think its OTTO but then I know nothing of LBG.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Neat conversion job in a very small space.

It shows that anything is possible to convert to R/C.

Excuse my ignorance but what loco is it?

If the chassis was black it could well pass off for something that SACM might have produced.

The loco is from a Circus starter set - a USA only version I believe. It is basically the same as the 2017 locomotive but without a tender. I converted it mainly by replacing the cowcatcher, headlamp, and diamond stack. I also trimmed off the overhang on the cab rear and added a rear bunker.

My next victim is a Stainz.

I also have another R/C conversion I did using the Carl Hibbs speed controller (no vibrators were harmed) and I'll get some photos of taht up here as well.

Last edited by KleineDicke on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:43 pm

pjti wrote:
mmmmmmmm nice, can't you get one of those ESC things that do reverse as well ? surely r/c cars have them. But I do like the analogue solution to the problem. Black frames and running boards would be nice too. I think its OTTO but then I know nothing of LBG.
AFAIK, the ESCs that reverse are for brushless motors, not brushed ones like we have in our LGBs Sad . I did find an electronic switch that could be usd to drive a DPDT relay for reversing, but that would have cost more and taken up more room. The servo and switch works nicely.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Nice conversion job - it's always nice to get something you want from something that someone else didn't want!

Definitely not an Otto though. Atop the boiler looks very reminiscent of a Stainz, but to be honest it's more like a Playmobile body - were it not for the single buffer. Curious origins, but looks the part now! A bit of weathering, and that's a done deal in my humble opinion. I like it. Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 9:56 pm

clive_t wrote:
Nice conversion job - it's always nice to get something you want from something that someone else didn't want!

Definitely not an Otto though. Atop the boiler looks very reminiscent of a Stainz, but to be honest it's more like a Playmobile body - were it not for the single buffer. Curious origins, but looks the part now! A bit of weathering, and that's a done deal in my humble opinion. I like it. Cool

You have a good eye, my friend; the boiler and most of the running gear are pure Stainz. The steam chest and cylinders are different as are the cab and side tanks.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Nice job Bill. What paint did you use? It has a metallic look (but perhaps that's the camera effect._

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Nice job Bill. What paint did you use? It has a metallic look (but perhaps that's the camera effect._

mikey

The paint is Krylon for Plastics - Satin Black color. It's a bit shinier than I wanted, but the flat black was too flat. The metallic look is a camera effect.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Well I am back on my laptop, I can see it now - deffo not Otto. Was on my netbook - now it looks even nicer. Thanks for info re ESC's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion   Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion Empty

Back to top Go down

Kit bash + Battery/RC Conversion
Page 1 of 1