Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dble points on Tramways?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

Dble points on Tramways? Empty
PostSubject: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 am

Following a discussion on another (small gauge) forum, does anybody know of any tramway, old or new, that has double points, double slips,double switches,compound switches,puzzle switches, or whatever they are called in your part of the World. It has been suggested that they cant exist on tramways as they cant be part of a level roadway. Anybody?

Mikey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:51 am

Are you referring to single and double slips on one gauge, or to dual gauge track formations?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:54 am

Single gauge. It has been suggested that y points back-to-back have been used but not true double slips. I'm a bit confused now!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 12:10 pm

Mikey:

Not sure about double slips, but this is a grand junction - double tracks from all four roads at a crossroads with all three other routes available from and to any one of them. It's in Prague. It is difficult to photograph a grand junction from the pavement! The fact that the left and right routes are separate points, not one three-way point, suggests that simplicity is the key to tramway track points, so a double slip is is unlikely. I was in Dublin recently and at the terminus of the Blue line at St Stephens green - double track - the links to the running line are two separate slips, so that an incoming tram can move into either free platform, and an out going tram from the right hand platform can take up the left hand track. So once again, there is evidence that double slips are not - at least on modern tramways - usual practice.

Dble points on Tramways? Prague024

Phil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Not sure about true street/urban tramways. I can't recall ever seeing any true 'slips'.

Troy would probably know the reason why if so. Maybe the cast flangeway groove prohibits the use or construction?

Certainly inset rail track can have slips.

Dble points on Tramways? Bim1a10
Dble points on Tramways? Bim2a10
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:02 pm

thanks Phil and Carl. super pics of complicated trackwork(which i for one didnt realise could exist!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:26 pm

I've never seen a double slip in grooved tramway rail, however the reason may be quite simple. I understand that double slips were considered as a neccesary evil by the railways, in that they combined the flexibility of two points toe to toe, in a compact formation, and without the dreaded S curve, but at the expense of a complex piece of track. Tramways operate to much tighter radius curves and don't have issues propelling stock through reverse curves, and don't need the complexity of a double slip. They did, however, adopt the Grand Union (mentioned above) which is probably the most pleasing track formation you could imagine, and with 90 frogs silent virtually un modellable. Montreal :
Dble points on Tramways? Ii102021
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 8:21 am

Terrific engineering!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 12:34 pm

I can’t rely contribute anything to this thread.

But an amazing bit of track work. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dble points on Tramways?   Dble points on Tramways? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dble points on Tramways?
Page 1 of 1