Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Weathering live steam?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

Weathering live steam? Empty
PostSubject: Weathering live steam?   Weathering live steam? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Little problem. The steam tram that Carl built for me always looks so pristine against the other rolling stock. i would like to 'weather' it a bit just to make it look well used. I would normally do this with old white spirit that has been used to clean brushes. Perhaps not a good idea as that would be extremely flammable. what else could i use?

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Weathering live steam?   Weathering live steam? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Several passes with an air-brush should do it, with a thin wash of various shades of grey/brown acrylic, or whatever colour the surrounding soil base would be.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Weathering live steam?   Weathering live steam? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Mike, I don't know how you've kept it so clean?

My Edrig has been naturally weathered with steam oil, dirt and scratches - just lend me the Tram for a couple of weeks and I could replicate the look for you!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Weathering live steam?   Weathering live steam? EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Leave it outside for a couple of years.
What with bird droppings,cat pee,rain,snow and sunshine,it will weather nicely.You could then respray it and have it coming out of the workshops has a fully refurbished engine.Repeat process every five years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weathering live steam?   Weathering live steam? Empty

Back to top Go down

Weathering live steam?
Page 1 of 1