Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A 'Y' slip?

Go down 
+7
dtsteam
Clarkmeggs
David Grantham
Carl Hibbs
Bearcastle
pjti
mikeyh
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 3:46 pm

I would like to build a single line that goes around the chateau and back. This would necessitate a 'Y' junction. As all my locos are either steam or battery there is no problem with electrical wiring, but does such a thing exist? I've never seen them on freebay. Could I make one myself?

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Mikey, I made one from a couple of R1's , all indications were that it would work ok, I think the pics are on here somewhere.

edit: sorry the pics - write up are not here, I think it was one of Troys previous incarnations I posted on, forever lost. I am sure you could knock one up if I was able to. I might actually have a "Y" in a sorry state that was originally made for the "Logging , Gravel and Brickworks Railway" in Sunny Suffolk, UK. That one has moveable blades, my own version had no moving parts.

I'll try to fish both of them out so you can see.

Last edited by pjti on Thu May 20, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Cheers Patrick I'll have a search

mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Ok found some pics. I can't remember much abou tputting it all together but the pics will help give an idea I hope.

A 'Y' slip? Ypoint6
This is a close up of the works. I ground away the rails so that they would fit into one shoe when soldered together, this was to give some rigidity. As I did not intend to use track power there would be no probs with wiring etc.

A 'Y' slip? Ypoint5
As operation would be in one direction only I was not worried about a moving blade as such, I ground a clearance (in the fixed blade) to allow the wheel flange to cross it. I then soldered a small length of brass tube to act as a guide too "catch" a wheel and guide in the right direction.

A 'Y' slip? Ypoint2

The other side shows a strip of thinner brass sheet (soldered to the other blade) which is slightly flexible, this is like a sort of "clackvalve" in that it will allow a wheel through in one direction but will guide a wheel in the other direction.

A 'Y' slip? Ypoint3

The frog was made from car filler, just because it's what I had to hand. I bit messy to look at.

A 'Y' slip? Ypoint4

It worked with Edrig which is quite heavy, but yet another house move halted further development.

Last edited by pjti on Thu May 20, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Cannot see the pics, it asked for a login and password ?
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
pjti

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Bearcastle wrote:
Cannot see the pics, it asked for a login and password ?

Sorry folks - I was pasting the FTP address - now sorted I hope

Edit : I forgot to mention , the bit of tube needs to be fine tuned such that it is long enough to catch/guide the wheel - but also to allow a wheel though in the opposite direction without derailing. I never tried it with bogie stock, and maybe only with a loco, so don't get to hopefull but plenty of room to experiment and dirt cheap to do.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Thanks Patrick, I think i can just about follow that. Would a heavier train pass through more smoothly/

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 5:39 pm

mikeyh wrote:
Thanks Patrick, I think i can just about follow that. Would a heavier train pass through more smoothly/

Mikey

errrr dunno - by heavier do you mean more wagons n stuff ?

Anyway I have found the bits to the other one, it's tenmille track which is code "not 332" maybe it's 250 or 300. If you want to try and put it together again it's yours. mmmmmmm postage is prohibitive from here !!!! Where is Van and his truck ?

See pics :

scroll down

Last edited by pjti on Thu May 20, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pjti

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 5:57 pm

Here ya go then - click for a slideshow

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Thats excellent, a lot clearer now. I might have a go at that!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 7:21 pm

That's pretty enterprising Patrick and cheap too.

If money is available Mikey you might to try: modell-werkstatt Bertram Heyn
Back to top Go down

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyThu May 20, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm curious as to what function this turnout performs. Why not use an ordinary turnout and let the loco push through it when the blades are set against it? Each trip through it and presumably around the loop beyond will be in alternate directions but it seems a simple solution instead of all this cutting and soldering etc.

Forgive me if I've missed the point entirely!
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 2:43 am

Like Saddletank I do not understand the purpose of this "Y Slip"

Peco points work straight out of the box on reversing loops, though I do not know about LGB ones, and the centre spring is delicate enough to be changed and strong enough to be locked by the passage of a locomotive i.e. 100% reliable.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 5:41 am

An interesting 'point' you both raise Martin and David. The effect i'm after is a single line that divides into two and forms a loop. my thinking was that with a 'Y' slip the train would go in either direction around the loop without the need to constantly change a point. I suppose as you both say, an ordinary turnout that had the spring adjusted would work. I'm unsure about that one because if it didnt operate automatically there may be quite a few derailments!. My experience of loops is nil (always afraid of the wiring, but thats not an issue now!)

mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 10:17 am

The purpose of all this cutting and soldering was simply for me see if it could be done - I had points already but I wanted to try something out - it worked - still cheaper than a ready made. At the time it cost me £3 to do it and I got a lot of satisfaction from having a go at it.

But I am getting defensive, I had found a very interesting article on the net which basically said - you don't need to buy expensive points, if you just point(guide) a train where you want it to go it will go that way, thats what my little bit of tube does - simples. I wish I could find the web page to show you , it was a good article.

It was offered as a solution so don't shoot me down !!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 6:14 pm

I dont think anybody was trying to shoot you down Patrick. I guess that it seems a lot of work when a bought one could do the same thing. For myself; have you seen the price of LGB points? If i cant make something i will buy, but only as a last resort. You have proved that it can be done so I am going to try and make one with two of the curved plastic rails I got with the Echo set.It will be an interesting project (thanks for all the inspiration)but if it fails? well I'll just have to buy! Sad

mikey
Back to top Go down
Clarkmeggs

Clarkmeggs

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 8:51 pm

My experience is that a good condition LGB manual point will spring back when a train returns over it from a return loop so you can just leave it facing the direction of the entry to the loop. However, the return loop that I have at the other end of the track is on the ground under a Leylandia and I found that no amount of cleaning would make it spring back so it is now motorised and is integrated into a passing loop.

RH/LH points are easier to buy than Y points and allow a smoother return loop.

Hope this helps

Peter
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptyFri May 21, 2010 9:03 pm

I like Patricks design because its spot on for street tramway track. With the best will in the world you can't get a conventional point to look like tramtrack - there are too many moving bits, and they move too much. A mate of mine who models OO & HO trams has been making points in the same way for years.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptySat May 22, 2010 5:45 am

Patrick's idea is simple and cheap and effective.
If you have R1 curves available then you can adapt them.

It may seem daunting but it isn't that hard to make your own from scratch.

Nickel silver rail is easier to work with than brass.

I made this a long while ago for an as yet unbuilt tramway section!
Just using hand tools and a bench grinder.

A 'Y' slip? Inset610
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptySat May 22, 2010 4:11 pm

A couple of hours work with the trusty Dremel gave this result;

A 'Y' slip? Demiel423

It works and was much easier with plastic rail (which incidentally is UV treated and fully compatible with LGB). It needs a bit of cosmetic tidying up but well worthwhile. thanks Patrick and Carl for the inspiration and info!.

mikey
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptySat May 22, 2010 6:14 pm

I think the idea is to have it automatic. It was used a lot in france before, the system is very easy to implement.

It was used on train line with a single line, so at the station you have 2 tracks, that allow to run train coming from both side.

I just draw quickly the principle, It could be done with a simple spring and some bit of metal. Your point always allow one direction, and when you come back the rail goes back in position everytime.
So you don't need to instal a motor or a system to move it by hand.

It's used a lot on tramway line as well.

A 'Y' slip? Automa11

Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptySun May 23, 2010 10:27 am

thanks Laurent nice drawing, but not really neccessary for what I need. There's no need for any springs because it doesnt matter if the train takes the left hand track or the right hand because it just goes round in a circle and returns. The one i've crudely made always seems to take the train to the left side but returns OK

Mikey
Back to top Go down

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptySun May 23, 2010 10:47 am

Not shooting you down at all Patrick! I don't even have my gun out! Sorry if my post came over with a tone I didn't intend. However I am genuinely curious as to the 'why' of this modification work. I can see that your slip sends the train one way every time and lets it return off the loop but it does seem a lot of effort that can be achieved by...er... placing a point on the ground. The Aristocraft points even have freely 'pushable' blades in their design.

Once again, sorry if I caused any upset.

Don't ban MEEE!
Back to top Go down

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptySun May 23, 2010 10:52 am

Sory, double post.

Oh dear, I think I missed the point again (ag, nasty pun). Reading through the rest of the thread if you're going for a tramway appearance then yes the job of modifying makes more sense, you'll be handbuilding/modifying all your points anyway for that tramway effect, so yes.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? EmptySun May 23, 2010 11:02 am

you see theres the rub Martin. I'm not after a prototypical authentic 100 per cent appearance of a tramway because all the old steam tramways used normal points anyway but whatever is easiest for me (and will save money)then thats my goal!..I bought an Echo railset on freebay for 26 euros (inc post) and i have got a new steam tram, two wagons and (what I call) a Y slip out of it. thats good value by anybodies standard!

mikey (will do anything to save a few bob reporting to you from the wilds of France)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A 'Y' slip? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A 'Y' slip?   A 'Y' slip? Empty

Back to top Go down

A 'Y' slip?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Tips and advice-
Jump to: