Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New family members

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New family members Empty
PostSubject: New family members   New family members EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:17 pm

As part of the done deal to use the front garden area for the eventual railway I agreed to relinquishing the 800 sq m paddock at the back which of course needed to be occupied.

So......after a lot of thought and preparation these 2 arrived this weekend.Shocked

6 month old miniature goats - chevres nains/boucs.
They are castrated male brothers and make very good pets, easy to look after and eat weeds.

New family members Goats410

New family members Goats510

New family members Goats210
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Congratulations Carl! do you do a rent out service? (Only joking)
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Lovely animals Carl. we had 10 of them til we lost them all to 'blue tongue'. Be aware that they were put on this earth to escape. we had tunnels dug, trees climbed, even fences climbed and many other attempts. our last goat was called 'steve' after mr Mcqueen! they will also eat everything and anything they can reach. they do get under your skin and i bet you will not stop at two!!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 am

They're a bit wild at the moment and have already tested the fencing!

They were only separated from their mother last week so they are still finding their independance but I can see they are going to be mischievious.

Living in the country it was only right to have some 'country' animals.

We're going to the market next week in Le Neubourg to buy some hens.

....and then perhaps I can get on with some trains... Laughing

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 2:00 pm

They're cuter'n a speckled pup. But they do look mischevious. And if it doesn't work out, there's always sate kambing.
Back to top Go down

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
800 sq m paddock
My heart bleeds. What I would give to have that space to play trains in! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 4:34 pm

It sounds good "800 square metres".....In fact we have 4,200 sq m altogether.

But trying to maintain it is another thing.

The equipment, cost of fencing etc., and time.
Oh and plus the rabbits, so cute.... Cool They build extensive tunnel systems everwhere that make it almost impossible to walk with out serious injury and only a 4X4 (or goat...) can traverse the terrain.

I have no regrets about moving here from Parisien suburbs but I'm just glad we didn't buy that other house we saw with 12,000 sq m... Shocked

The 'G scale' railway here will be confined to the front garden patch which is just a modest 200 sq m
Plenty enough...
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Here's a few more pics of the potential villains....They have that look about them!

New family members Goats110

New family members Goats111

They are just starting to approach and take things from your hands.

New family members Goats112
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:16 pm

The last photo undicates the villains might also have a willing accomplice. Wink
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 5:50 pm

you've got the right idea of giving them things to occupy themselves Carl. Hoops, see-saws, raised walkways etc. the first thing to go will be the bark from that tree!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 am

After 4 weeks these two have become quite tame now. Not only taking food from your hand but climbing and jumping all over you!

The greyish head one is more approachable and dominant than the brown one but the pair are completely mad and provide great entertainment when they want to play.

As animals go they are easy to look after and apart from their horns I would say they make very good outdoor pets even for young children.

New family members Aug10

New family members Table10
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 6:53 am

FOUR WEEKS! and you've still got them?

Everyone we know round here, who've kept goats, have had them escape before now!

I think watch towers on the perimeter, searchlights and interlocking fields of fire and you might get away with another four weeks!

Well done anyway!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 7:41 am

We have pretty good fencing which I have reinforced plus the neighbours at the back have 2 labrador dogs that the goats are scared of......up to now...... Cool
That tends to keep them away from the fence line at the moment.

The big problem however is the rabbits. We are infested with them and they excavate tunnels every night, some nearly big enough for a small goat to pass through......

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New family members Empty
PostSubject: Re: New family members   New family members Empty

Back to top Go down

New family members
Page 1 of 1