Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Old French Railway Postcards

Go down 
+10
GWhizz
pjti
philkelly
Clarkmeggs
clive_t
French Chuffed
dtsteam
Carl Hibbs
micheline
mikeyh
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 8:36 pm

Unmistakable metre gauge Corpet.

Senonches is in the Sarthe if I believe. Chartes-Alençon area.

What a great postcard with the 3 little girls along with everyone posing.

Notice the railway is by the road with a seperating line of trees in typical tramway style and a wagon full of hay or straw in the background.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 4:45 pm

These cards remind me of photo's in the station restaurant at Angouleme. They show the original station there, which has now been hideously clad in 70's modernism. There are still traces of the original building to be seen, as any of you that come to visit by TGV will be able to recognise!

Have you any cards of Angouleme, Cognac, Bordeaux or La Rochelle, Mikey ??

Cheers B
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 5:06 pm

many brian. angouleme in fact had 4 stations. Its an interesting story but do you know the road tunnel that passes under the centre of angouleme? Well originally that was the railway tunnel and unfortunatley the company that built it failed to ask permission from the people who lived over it. One bright spark sued the company which in turn led to their early demise.

The other stations were destroyed by allied bombing in two raids in WW2. My other passion besides my guitar and model railways is walking old lines and visiting preserved lines. saddo aint I?
No not really!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Nothing sad in any of those activities at all. Long may they continue. Wink
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 1:10 pm

heres a few more. this time its 'tramways and trams' Does anybody knowwhat type of loco is in the #first pic? Its at fort Mahon#Abbeville# in the Somme.

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Fortmahon

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Garederevard

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 3787

Last edited by mikeyh on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 1:14 pm

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 2435

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 4:13 pm

1910 saw the first and largest strike of French railway workers. This is how they dealt with it then (nothing changes!!)

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Grevecheminots1910

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 4:27 pm

I do find these images endlessly fascinating, Mikey. The colourised one is superb! The second pic (Aix-les-Bains) looks like there is a rack rail down the middle of the track?

I always find myself wondering, when looking at those people looking at the guy with the camera, what they would have made of it all. Life seems so much less complicated back then...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 4:38 pm

So right Clive.I would imagine that having your pic taken in front of a train was akin to posing with Michael Jackson or the PM? (not a good comparison!!)

Mikey
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Love the square windowed Piguet locomotive of the T.A. Tramways de l'Ardeche. What a priceless photo.

Now if someone would just make a live steam Piguet (or Pinguely) I would buy one at any reasonable cost.

And that 60cm tramway at Fort Mahon plage with the Decauville locomotive.....Smile
Regner used make a 30mm gauge electric model.

There were a lot of these 'tramways betteraves' (beetroot tramways...!) on the north coast at one time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 3:40 pm

I'm being a bit self-indulgent this time as all this months offerings feature my personal favourites~ the tramways .

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare6766

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare5313

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare2193

more to follow

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 3:49 pm

theres more!

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Carnac

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare154

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare5269-1

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptySat May 16, 2009 6:35 am

This picture shows the conditions the tramways worked under!

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare7809

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare13846

Mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptySat May 16, 2009 7:28 am

Fascinating images again, Mikey. Maybe it's just me, but often I find myself wishing I could project myself into those places at the time the photos were taken, just to see what life was really like back then. (I seem to recall an episode of 'Red Dwarf' where they did exactly that, so it must be possible! Shocked) Keep them coming!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Identification please! any idea what engine this is? looks interesting!

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare9865

Mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 4:18 pm

heres another of the same line

Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Gare9865-1

mikey
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 5:31 pm

I've now realised they are Corpet Louvrets but they just look a bit different? Interesting line this one; the tramway winds its way around the town with a loop round the eglise. and only 4k long

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Dammit, I was gonna guess Corpet Louvet too... of course no one will believe me! Mad
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 7:13 pm

Well done Mikey for posting those 020 Corpets.....rare beasts.
And particular to a line in Normandy near Le Havre..

I copied this off a post from about Expometrique 2002

Le Tramway de Saint-Romain de Colbosc :
Le tramway de Saint-Romain de Colbosc fut la première ligne d'intérêt local construite en Haute-Normandie en 1896. Il reliait la commune de Saint-Romain-de-Colbosc, chef lieu de canton situé à 20km à l'est du Havre, à la ligne Paris-Le Havre de la Compagnie de l'Ouest en gare d'Ethainus après un court trajet de 4,3km.

La locomotive représentée par Philippe sur son diorama rappelle les trois 020T Corpet-Louvet livrées au Tramway de Saint-Romain de Colbosc en 1897, et particulièrement caractéristiques avec leur cheminée pare-escarbilles. Ces locomotives succédèrent aux automotrices à vapeur Serpollet qui ne donnaient pas satisfaction. Ces trois locomotives assurèrent le trafic sur la ligne jusqu'à sa fermeture le 24 février 1929. Ces locomotives ont par la suite été vendues en Afrique où l'on perd leur trace.

Bibliographie:
- "Petits trains et tramways Haut-Normands / Seine Inférieure - Eure", Hervé Bertin, éditions Cénomane/LVDR, Paris, 1994.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks for that Carl. i find this line particularly interesting, a; because of the three locos (why those chimneys?), and b; the havoc that must have been caused during construction for such a short line albeit through a very built-up area.

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 7:38 pm

I could be wrong (has been known!) but are those sorts of chimneys for wood-burning locos? I think the logic has it that wood burning locos tend to spit out a lot more sparks, and this design of chimney is meant to arrest them from flying off and starting fires everywhere. I think.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 8:34 pm

and I guess every building contained a lot of wood in its structure. They had fireless locos in Paris at that time for the same reason. certainly gives a different look to a corpet!

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 pm

I don't know about these chimneys Clive although some coal burning locos were likewise fitted with spark arrestor chimneys like Excelsior at Bowaters because of the fire risk in a paper mill.

I will find out....

Also of interest in the first postcard with the Corpet in the street is the sign on the shop in background.

It says 'Chocolat Menier'.
Antoine Menier was the inventor/creator of the chocolate bar. The factory on the banks of the river Marne is only 10km from me at Noisiel and there now is a chocalate museum there.
Menier was eventually taken over by Rowntree Mackintosh and later Néstles.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Interesting aside about the chocolate shop.... In Bristol in the mid 19th Century, JS Fry, a Quaker, introduced Britain to its first taste of solid chocolate. At the turn of the 20th Century his factory in Union Street became the place of employment for (among others) Mr Edward Badman, who was (according to the 1901 census) a 'stationary engine fireman'... his eldest son, Ernest Badman, (known to most as 'Walter') was also employed there as a confectioner - indeed, part of the research and development team that brought the "Fry's Five Boys" chocolate bar to a very appreciative public. The young 'Walter' then met, and very wisely married a Miss Leonora Bane. Some 56 years later they both very wisely became my maternal grandparents!

Sorry for the thread creep there!
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 5:44 am

i love all these historical facts and stories connected with the railways and their postcards. so interesting. i must build a chocolate shop!

mikey
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 8:59 am

Manoeuvring gently back towards the thread topic, here is possibly a useful link if you wanted to know a bit more about the Corpet-Louvet story:

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/27/CL_1.htm

Usual disclaimers apply as to accuracy etc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old French Railway Postcards   Old French Railway Postcards - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Old French Railway Postcards
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next