Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Well I certainly would - would you

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pjti

Well I certainly would - would you  Empty
PostSubject: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 am

Wot ?????

No one want to buy it ?
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 12:50 pm

I certainly would Patrick, but i just can't afford it!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 2:13 pm

There aren't many cars that "do it" for me, but this one does it all, never seen one before. It's an obscene amount of money though. Deffo not a boring euro/jap ecobox. Sometimes the Yanks CAN get something right.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Oh dear oh dear oh dear - look what else I found.

Well I certainly would - would you  2MorganLifecar
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:47 pm

pjti wrote:
Deffo not a boring euro/jap ecobox. Sometimes the Yanks CAN get something right.

Delahaye was a French company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delahaye
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 pm

He (Emile) Delahaye was indeed French.
Here in France they have a great tradition of naming roads after famous people and I saw a while back 'rue de Delahaye'.

Delahayes were also produced (under design licence I believe) in the USA.

I found this link Delahaye USA which is where I imagine DD's car may have originated from?

BTW I met her whilst working in Sunningdale in the late 1970's. A pleasant woman even then but the Delahaye had gone and was replaced by a tatty blue Merc SL Coupé with cream leather seats full of dogs hairs! Cool
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm

It went for $3mill - lovely bit of kit. Interesting that you should meet DD Carl, I was trying to remember what the TV series was that she was in maybe you can remember, must have been in the 70s. IMDB doesn't give me any clues.

I used to shop at Delhaize mikey I thought they were Belgian. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 6:01 am

Her most popular TV series was 'Queenies Castle' where she played the title role of 'Queeny Shepherd'. she was a small boys fantasy (mine), and also a great character actress.

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:21 am

I was at the time working in an off licence on Saturday mornings in Chobham road, Sunningdale. She was a regular customer and sometimes with her husband Alan Lake.
This must have been about 1977 or 1978.
She was a bit 'plump' at that time but I got a teasing wink and a smile as I loaded the car outside the shop.
I even think she gave me a tip once.

We had quite a lot of famous people as customers.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 am

mikeyh wrote:
Her most popular TV series was 'Queenies Castle' where she played the title role of 'Queeny Shepherd'. she was a small boys fantasy (mine), and also a great character actress.

mikey

Thats the one mikey, I wasn't a fan of the prog but I did like the DD character. mmmm yes I would have been 16 so need I say more.

But what about the car ? doesn't anybody like it.

Spose we ought be talking trainzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ,(1 metre zzzzzzzzzzz)
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 2:35 pm

It's an interesting design for sure, but I don't find it beautiful; outrageous would be a better description. Seems a bit overstyled. I don't dislike it, it just doesn't do much for me.
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Never mind DD, surely the best looking car was the DS?
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:32 pm

DS? Are you joking, Phil? Gotta be the 2CV or the H (assuming trucks qualify). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Sorry Bill - comes of listening to Charles Trenet and drinking vin rouge....
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 8:56 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
DS? Are you joking, Phil? Gotta be the 2CV or the H (assuming trucks qualify). Very Happy
Well done Bill.cheers

That is just pure French....(well not exactly...the rib/corrugated construction was copied from Budd in the USA)

I just love the HY vans or 'tube' as they and similar are often known as.

This is one of my favourites.

Well I certainly would - would you  Hy_bus10 cheers

If I get some money I'm going to buy one, about 5K€ gets a decent one restored.
I like the DS too but I wouldn't buy one though.

See everything has a railway connnection (Budd) and also the plaque on the HY bus shows the museum at Valencay....On the Blanc Argent metre gauge.... Very Happy

I'm on the VR too against docs orders.... Razz

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:43 pm

philkelly wrote:
Sorry Bill - comes of listening to Charles Trenet and drinking vin rouge....
Que reste-t-il des nos amours?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 am

Charles Trenet...good taste Phil, great singer.

There's another railway connection. One of his most famous songs 'La Mer' was written on a train!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well I certainly would - would you    Well I certainly would - would you  Empty

Back to top Go down

Well I certainly would - would you
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: