Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Autorail (kitbash)

Go down 
+2
Carl Hibbs
KleineDicke
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

My Autorail (kitbash) Empty
PostSubject: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 8:46 pm

I threw this together a while back from a couple of Toytrain passenger coaches and a motor block from a LGB diesel. It's still a work in progress - but then again so are most of my projects.
Image hosted by servimg.com

Even has a trailer:

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 pm

That's neat Bill. That looks very sort of Queensland Australia to me.
Did you make the bonnet?
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 pm

No, the bonnet (as well as a few other bits and pieces - like the fuel tanks) was part of the diesel that donated its motor block (an LGB Schoema). I'm not happy with the visor, though.
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 9:01 am

I like that a lot Bill, maybe you don't like the visor but I think it adds a great deal of character, it does not need much changing. The handrails need throwing and wire ones made. I think it looks a bit Irish - but then I am biased.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 9:30 am

Bill, I think it's a very nice kitbash! It surely have some character of it's own!
I can imagine it servicing a secondary line, buzzing through a green countryside (and I even smell the petrol)!

I wasn't sure if you were looking for suggestions but I took the liberty to edit one of the pictures a bit with some ideas I would suggest:
- paint the bonnet the same colour as the carriage
- paint the visor,
- paint the yellow handrails and those yellow/black skirts grey (or at least not yellow/black safety stripes, these s were not very common used with older European trains - that is off course if you want it to look European...)

So it turned out something like this:

My Autorail (kitbash) KleineDickesRailcar2-vi

Paul
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:18 am

Mmm..To my eye. with a change of colour. it would be perfect for my 1910 line!

Mikey
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 10:55 am

mmmmmmmm Would you consider chopping the skirts a bit, to me they look to be too low.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I agree the visor adds something - I just don't like the visor I made for it. Still thinking about a replacement.
The color of the bonnet is black (for now) because I can't find a red that matches the rest of the body closely enough. I do agree it should be red. Maybe I'll have to repaint the lower half of the body.
The skirts do indeed need chopping, especially since they drag the rails occasionally. As I said, It's a work in progress.
Somebody else also told me it looked Irish. Maybe it should be green?

Mikey- you can't have it.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptySat Oct 23, 2010 8:19 pm

KleineDicke wrote:

Somebody else also told me it looked Irish. Maybe it should be green?

Irish green!

But red and white is also prototypical; the County Donegal railcars had the same livery as your railcar, like the CDR Railcar nr 1 shown on this site. (it has some resemblance with your railcar!)

Paul
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 12:24 am

I like the name of the manufacturer- Allday and Onions.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 3:04 pm

I've been tinkering off and on with my autorail and I think I've finally got it about where I want it. cheers

In addition to some changes suggested by the local denizens here @ CGT, I replaced the original visor - the new one was made from a section of roof from a locomotive cab, made a new windscreen, and added the dividers to the side windows. Oh, and I almost forgot, the destination board. Since I haven't settled on a name for my railway, I used a fairly generic destination (it was a toss up - the other choice was "Centre Ville"). I am pleased with the results. I am still looking for a pair of headlamps and a horn to mount on it. The only other major work is battery power and a remote. I'll probably build a trailer for that ( Idea I do have a Ferraro-Rocher box sitting on my work bench.... Smile ).

Have a look and tell me what you think.

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Bill, that really looks the part now. cute little thang! Watch it doesnt melt in that heat you are having

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 3:44 pm

The heat we're having (at least in Houston) is quite normal I assure you. It is summertime after all. It's the drought I'm worried about. We're about 20 inches behind on our rain this year. Watering my lawn cost me $500 last month. I pay more for water than electricity!

The news media is making such a big deal about heat in the summertime. I don't recall them getting excited when we have a freeze here in January.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Bill, it's looking real great! I love that open front windscreen and the visor. Together with the divided windows it gives the whole a very characteristic look.
You are gonna convert it to battery power, you say? Any change it may run in Europe? Wink
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 5:43 pm

You're on the right track, Paul. I was thinking about doing another destination board - "Andere Richtigen", another one of my favorite places. Laughing Or perhaps I could make it Belgian, in which case "Wegomlegging" might be more appropriate. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
pjti

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Very nice Bill, coming along isn't it . Especially like the windows, oh and the new visor and and and.............
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Great work, Bill - what chance of a short video of it in action?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Autorail (kitbash)   My Autorail (kitbash) Empty

Back to top Go down

My Autorail (kitbash)
Page 1 of 1