Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hymek class 35 live diesel

Go down 
+5
Mike B
David Grantham
KleineDicke
Carl Hibbs
antonr91
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
antonr91

antonr91

Hymek class 35 live diesel Empty
PostSubject: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 7:50 pm

My next project (although my first one is not finished at all yet) will be based on the Hymek class 35 diesel loco as i have a Remote Control version of the tring BIG BIG which i converted. so i will base my loco on this..although it will be alot bigger...

[img][/img]Hymek class 35 live diesel 800px-10 Hymek class 35 live diesel 49831010

Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone47

Im using ply wood to construct it and im actually making it more G Gauge then O gauge in terms of the size of the body, which will allow me to have more mechanicals inside as with my first one (SHUNT) I had hardly any room to work with...

I have just managed to purchase a kyosho GX12 nitro car engine...I scrapped the idea of using a 4 stroke as im not willing to pay for one...especially as i got this for £12 - bargain Smile

Hymek class 35 live diesel Hymek_10 Hymek class 35 live diesel Hymek_11

the white pieces of paper are just meant to represent the bogies....

I am deeply considering purchasing a pair of the IP engineering bogies although Carl has said they are made using plastic gearing and are not exactly heavy duty. This is the problem...

The main items I need at the moment are a pair of SM32 powered bogies....

Last edited by antonr91 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 pm

To be honest Anton I have a feeling that's going to look a bit strange on 32mm track.

Mine is really at the limit of size and gauge.

As a suggestion seeing as you are building the body why not go for a generic shape or look at overseas prototypes on narrow guage track.
In South Africa they have some huge diesels like the original Funkey or the GEUM6 serieson 2 foot gauge.

These would be truer than a 'narrow gauge Hymek'.

BTW I have just bought a Kyosho GX12 too!
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 pm

your probably right carl...although the pictures make it look bigger then it is..it is just 4 inches wide and about 19 inches long... and 4 1/2 inches tall...
the length can be shortened and probably will but i need to shape the front in order to see what it looks like first...

They seem pretty good tbh Smile and bargain price...

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:04 pm

The Vale of Ffestiniog on the Welsh Highland Ry is another possibility.
Hymek class 35 live diesel Vof
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Worsley loco works made a body kit for the orginal Funkey not the nice rebuilt one above.

BUT...I just had a look on their site and they also make a SA 91 (GEUM6B) diesel body.

Worsley class 91
Now that would be just perfect as a live diesel except for the price £260.....mmm that buys a lot of birch ply!
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 11:07 pm

I investigated the Class 91 because it has lots of space and is IMHO rather beautiful. Unfortunately it is enormous for a 750mm gauge/13mm to the foot railway and would not fit through my tunnels but would make a great project.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Anton,

I have replied to your question on this thread rather than the one on my railway, the GVC, as it is more relevant.

The size of a Locomotion diesel out of the box is shown on this website under Diesel Electric products

http://www.locomotion.connectfree.co.uk/

I dont think the Locomotion BoBo is very suitable for conversion to a live diesel because it is quite small and is made entirely of wood, including the chassis. Additionally it requires a lot of work to make it look detail acceptable and IMHO one might as well start from scratch.
Back to top Go down
Mike B

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:01 am

I'm glad they said, "Inspiration for the model comes from the standard gauge locomotives built by Vickers and running on London's Metropolitan line" as to my discerning London Transport enthusiast's eye it looks nothing like Sarah Siddons and at £480.00 well....

Mike
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikebrown.me
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Utter cr@p body and superb mechanically. Brian Jones mac5 and sound unit, 2 Essel motor bogies and other internals cost about £350 so if you like more than opening a box and are prepared to spend time modifying and detailing the outside it can IMHO be a good base for some projects.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 8:58 pm

I have now halfed the length and it looks alot better...I need to shape both front and back which will be the hard part....
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 12:36 pm

antonr91 wrote:
I have now halfed the length and it looks alot better...I need to shape both front and back which will be the hard part....

The end should be fairly easy to construct.If you want to keep the rigidity of plywood ,just stick a balsa wood facia on the ply.This can easily be sanded to the required shape.The windows would need to be balsa or plastic though.You wouldn't be able to get the thin windowframes otherwise.
Any help you need on the building,just shout.

One thing you need to bear in mind though is that the bogies will probably have to intrude into the cabin area at the bottom to keep it looking good heightwise.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 am

Thank you very much Sparkeswood...the problem is that i have not made it too short....I know that yours is 21 long but its o gauge.....what do you think the absolute longest the length i could have for a 32mm diesel loco as im not the best at making things look realistic....?
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 12:21 pm

I was also having a look at those PLine bogies from india? I cant find a price for them but would consider them if they are not to expensive....
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Well I have know got help from my girlfriends dad who will attempt to make me a set of bogies for this loco. Together we are making a few types of exhaust systems in the hope that one will quieten the sound nicely. I know youve probably all seen this video but notice how quite the engine is......the high pitch tinny sound is baffled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwha_Ug7sk
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Anton, the Pline bogies are about £50 each and can be bought from the dealership which I think is called Classic Trains(or Models) at Cleethorpes.

I would not order one without inspecting the product and workmanship at the dealership since they are made overseas and may not meet your expectations, wheel standards etc etc

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 7:37 pm

OK thank you David, i have been emailing the address of the wed site and they are closed. reopen on the 3rd January.

I have posted some comments regarding the gearing that you are thinking about. Hope it helps
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 8:21 pm

My girlfriends father has decided he will attempt to make me a pair of powered bogies anyway. This has saved me all the effort and aggravation of finding the correct bogies and the right price.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 10:19 am

Jemmas dad (my girlfriend) has been ever so helpful when it has come to sourcing parts and helping make certain bits that i cannot do.

Right...well this is the exhaust system which consists of a outer metal shell which acts as the expansion chamber with a wider inlet from the manifold and a smaller outlet exhaust. This is just one idea of her dads too quieten the engine down. I will be testing it very soon and I will let you know how well it works. The wonders of having a lathe. I am not taking the credit for this piece of engineering as he made the exhaust himself. BUT It has given me some ideas as to how I could construct one myself.

Another simple coupling piece has also been made, from simple aluminium with threaded grub screw holes and precise drilled ends.

Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone11 Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone12 Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone13Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone14Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone15Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone16

And this is the simple aluminium coupling>>>>

Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone17 Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone18
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Finally the bogies came this morning and i can now get cracking with the next part to building this loco. I can see from the start that i am going to have difficulty making it look like a Hymek, as stated before, which was my initial intention. I am now thinking of a semi Class 42 Warship style but it will never look exact.

Below are photos of the loco so far and now i can work on attaching the speed controller and servo and other bits and bobs and finding out if it all works.

Following Carls information, i will make the body out of "well sanded 4mm ply" Smile and im hoping this exhaust system will sound nice and throaty Wink.

Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone19

Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone20

Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone21

Hymek class 35 live diesel Iphone22

Last edited by antonr91 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 3:51 pm

That all looks pretty neat and compact. I will be intrigued to hear what that 'rocket motor' exhaust performs like.

Why aren't the bogies up to 'English standard'? They look ok to me. Are they driving both axles?

When you say you 'got them cheap'. Is that because they were sub-standard or seconds?

BTW, I've just bought USA trains bogies 28$ (£17 pounds) each from Wholesale Trains. But the postage is a bit pricey and nearly doubles the cost.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Yes i plan to have a piece of rubber piping attached to the end of the exhaust and this will lead the fumes up and out of the top of the loco (when the body is finished).

That website look promising but yes as you said, the postage is a bit dear but still, when combined, alot cheaper then something from Essel.

Let me know what you think of them when the arrive.

Can i ask what kind of current or how many AMPS can a standard ESC like the one i have withstand do you think?

Last edited by antonr91 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:24 pm

That's a shame about the bogies.... I hope you didn't pay too much for them.

The bogies that I bought from the U.S.A. are indeed U.S.A. Trains bogies and are good quality and reliable as you would expect from a major manufacturer.
They are not as good as Aristocraft which have slighter better profile and blackened wheels but then Aristo are more than twice the price and supplies are intermittent.

I have used both several times before.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Yes ive seen Aristocraft bogies for sale and they are extremely expensive, well for me and my interests anyway, as im usually just messing around and experimenting with things and i wouldnt want to be spending those kind of prices on bogies alone.

Do you know what the limit is of amps that a standard ESC like the one i have could withstand? As the shunter blew one up but i believe that the Hymek will take on fine..but i suppose adding in a fuse will ensure that things dont get ruined again. I am slightly insure of how to add in a fuse before and the leads of the geni connect to the ESC. Would i just connect it to the positive wire and have the negative going straight to the ESC and the positive having a fuse between geni and ESC? i know this probably sounds stupid and very basic but im just learning about currents and circuits at the moment.

And i prefer the silver, metal look to wheels as opposed to the black treated metal wheels that you stated Razz

Last edited by antonr91 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 7:34 pm

What ESC do you have? What is the current/voltage rating?

I expect most ESCs are designed to handle currents in excess of what we need in railway terms. If you allow 1 amp for each bogie under moderate load that is 2 amps. I'm sure any ESC for model application will cope with that.

A fuse at say 1 amp less than the current rating for ESC in series on the positive side and close to the ESC.

Just to be really sure you could fit 2 fuses one on the output side between the ESC and and bogies and one on the input side.

Hymek class 35 live diesel Fuse10

There are many varieties of fuse holder to suit application. Have a look at Maplins website and find one which suits. I tend use PCB type mounted open fuse holders and 20 mm/5mm standard fuses. That's about the cheapest option too.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 am

Thank you very much for that Carl, i will try setting that up and ill let you know if i get stuck

Does anyone know what types of locomotives are in this picture. the one on the right and the on one the left?

Hymek class 35 live diesel Trains10

As i am considering making a few bodies to fit this loco and the one on the left would be interesting to make Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hymek class 35 live diesel   Hymek class 35 live diesel Empty

Back to top Go down

Hymek class 35 live diesel
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next