Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Portal Layout

Go down 
+3
mikeyh
Carl Hibbs
KleineDicke
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 9:07 pm

I haven't seen any comments about the new layout of the Portal page. I'm OK with the new layout except for the scrolling of topics; I liked the "up" scrolling we used to have better than the current "down" scrolling. Is it just me or what. Actually, I would prefer no automatic scrolling at all; if there are more topics than will fit in the window, let me scroll it manually.

This is not a complaint, Carl; it is a suggestion. I realize you give a lot of time and resources to this forum and I do appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 6:47 am

You're the first to comment Bill, thanks. Cool

I thought about simplifying or trying to improve the layout a bit and I'm always open to suggestions. I will change the scrolling later unless anyone has any strong views to the contrary.

The problem is that I don't seem to have much time at the moment for anything!

....It's Easter holidays here now (the end of another school term....phew New Portal Layout 624540 ) and maybe I can catch up with some train time.

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 am

Glad you mentioned about time Carl, I've been in the studio every day for the last couple of months doing some session work [very profitable though!),Had no time for anything on the railway.
Personally I never look at the portal but I guess i would prefer to see the newest messages first.
mikey {speaking from the jungle that is tramway Demiel!!]
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 10:57 am

I've altered it now so there's no scrolling, just the last eight activities displayed.
Obviously if there is a new thread then the oldest one will drop out.
I'll try and make the layout a bit better later.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 7:52 pm

I've not been on the site for a couple of weeks ( been far too busy outside and recovering from a nasty incident with an animal trap), so somewhat thrown by the new layout! Will post my views once I've had a few hours to get used to it - I generally use the Portal as my main means of entering the site and it seems very strange!!!

Cheers B
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Just had a look too.
Must admit, my book mark is set to "Home" so I rarely see the portal.
Will try harder now ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
French Chuffed

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 9:53 am

I think I preferred the previous layout, with the monthly photo etc., I always start with the portal…. sunny
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:02 am

I may brink back a regular photo feature. That is quite nice to look at rather than just words.

But I'm a bit short of good new photos to be honest......
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 pm

I'm playing about with the forum layout at the moment to try and rejuvenate some interest. Please be patient while I wrestle with html and CSS style sheet codes. study
Opinions and good photos always welcome. Smile
Thank you.

BTW When I first read the title of this thread I thought it said 'New Portable Layout'......and fully expected to see Bill ready for an exhibition..... drunken I need to keep off the red stuff.
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 6:32 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:

BTW When I first read the title of this thread I thought it said 'New Portable Layout'......and fully expected to see Bill ready for an exhibition..... drunken I need to keep off the red stuff.

I suspect quite a few of us made the same mistake in reading the title Carl bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
French Chuffed

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 am

Re new layout mk 2.001. I see you have tapped a great fountain of excellent photographs there Carl. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 2:49 pm

I like the new new look with the photo. I especially like the animated automotrice.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:00 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
I like the new new look with the photo. I especially like the animated automotrice.

Same here! Good work Carl!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 8:53 pm

...and now with sound. Formidable!

Although I fear I'll have to limit my visits from the office as my boss will hear. New Portal Layout 463516
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I've turned the sound down a bit and I suppose people will get fed up after a while so It won't last long.

It makes the front page a bit more interesting and you can go on and on with this sort of thing in html. At one point I had the railcar coming out of trees and tried to incorporate a station but then I realised I had other things to do...... like feeding the goats and chopping down some real trees....
oh and some trains to build.... New Portal Layout 24486
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 pm

After my recent "adventures" now back in railway mode and had time to think about the new layout.

I guess I'm going to be the only luddite here, but I preferred the old layout.

I used to use the portal as the entry to the site and scanned the scrolling "recent posts" as a means of keeping up with what was happening.

The new format seems to have less recent posts in view.

Still I seem to be the only person objecting here, so I'll just have to learn a work around!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

GWhizz wrote:
After my recent "adventures" now back in railway mode and had time to think about the new layout.

....The new format seems to have less recent posts in view.

Now increased to 10.

Quote :
Still I seem to be the only person objecting here, so I'll just have to learn a work around!

Not necessarily. If you have any suggestions I'm happy to incorporate them where possible.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 8:34 pm

In fact because there has been so much activity recently [sic]. I've put the scrolling back with the last 15 posts.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 7:32 am

Whoopee!! A steamer on the Portal!!

mikey
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks Carl, it all seems familiar again!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 11:25 am

mikeyh wrote:
Whoopee!! A steamer on the Portal!!

mikey
Send me a square side view pic of one (or all....) of your tram engines and train and I will put that on there.
You can even choose your direction. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Portal Layout Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Portal Layout   New Portal Layout Empty

Back to top Go down

New Portal Layout
Page 1 of 1