Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Confolens collection

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
philkelly

philkelly

Confolens collection Empty
PostSubject: Confolens collection   Confolens collection EmptyWed May 04, 2011 5:45 pm

There's a "velorail" operation at Confolens - about half way between my place and Van's, but actually in Charente. There is a small museum of railwayana, but also a collection of full size trains.

X2883 and X2903:

Confolens collection Confolens2

(and in case anyone thinks they're just rusting, there is a notice to that effect:

Confolens collection Confolens1

There is a rather interesting Dodge - road tyres on it at the moment, but these were used as Tracteurs:

Confolens collection ConfolensDodge

This is the trailer in the shot above (there is also an X5500 [U150] - sheeted over and partly repainted, so evidently being restored but not very photogenic).

Confolens collection Confolenstrailer

There is also a collection of draisines and assorted rail vehicles:

Confolens collection Confolensdraisines

And although it is now imprisoned behind the fence of the fire station built on former rail land, the Economiques des Charentes Station (terminus of the line from Angouleme) is still standing:

Confolens collection ConfolensGareEC

I think the idea is to provide a tourist rail service some time in the future on the line currently used for the Velorail operation, south to Roumazieres-Loubert.

Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: Confolens collection   Confolens collection EmptyWed May 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Nice find Phil,presumably open to the public?

mikey
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Confolens collection   Confolens collection EmptyWed May 04, 2011 6:15 pm

The site is actually completely unfenced - you can just wander on from the old station. The small objects museum is also the ticket office for the Velorail operation, in the ticket office of the old mainline station, so open when the Velorail is: I didn't get the opening times - basically weekends and holidays - might be weekdays too in the summer. I'll have another look when I'm there again.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Confolens collection   Confolens collection EmptyWed May 04, 2011 8:27 pm

That's a great find Phil.

Here's their website (Velorail and some details of the preservation CFCL ).

Velorail 16
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Confolens collection   Confolens collection EmptyThu May 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi Phil

Sorry I didn't make it! Did you take any pics at the Model Railway swap/meet as well?
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: Confolens collection   Confolens collection EmptyFri May 06, 2011 11:01 am

Sorry Brian: forgot my camera for the swap meet visit - took the rail collection pics on an earlier visit to Confolens..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confolens collection   Confolens collection Empty

Back to top Go down

Confolens collection
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Full size 1:1 trains-
Jump to: