Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Acquisition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 3:05 pm

I picked up a new tanker this weekend on eBay.

New Acquisition LGB4040L_b

It doesn't really fit my epoch, but I've always liked the color and graphics on it. It was also very reasonable - I won it with a bid of $36. Strangely, there was another like it running a day or so behind, which was over $60 when the sale for my car closed. It ultimately sold for sold for $72. Both were described as new; the only difference was the $72 one had the sleeve for the box. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Missed this post... (somehow I don't get notifications of new posts, only from topic I replied in)

Very good bargain Bill!
For 26 dollar I would skip the sleeve too! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 4:00 am

I have a sleeve I will sell you for $20 Bill..... Razz

I always liked this car, and the later version with the brake hut. Ditto with the BP "Olex" version as well.

What I did do, was buy some of the N*****a Rolling Eyes tank cars, painted them in grey....ala Vacuum Oil of Prague, Epoch I/II:

http://www.ets-trains.com/detailzbozi.php?IDZbozi=590&PHPSESSID=62587e0ae683e0cba16260bdaaff69f2
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 7:34 am

Garrett, do you have any pics of your handiwork?

Paul, I don't know how or even if you can opt to receive an email every time a new thread got posted that wasn't yours - but what you can do, if it helps, is when you go to the 'Home' screen (not the portal with the rolling window), in the top right corner there is the option to 'View posts since last visit' - I've just found that myself, so have learned something new today! Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 12:06 pm

Spule 4 wrote:
I have a sleeve I will sell you for $20 Bill..... Razz

I always liked this car, and the later version with the brake hut. Ditto with the BP "Olex" version as well.

What I did do, was buy some of the N*****a Rolling Eyes tank cars, painted them in grey....ala Vacuum Oil of Prague, Epoch I/II:

http://www.ets-trains.com/detailzbozi.php?IDZbozi=590&PHPSESSID=62587e0ae683e0cba16260bdaaff69f2

I used one of those "N-word" Twisted Evil tankers as basis for my Christmas tanker. Once you paint over the cheap plastic, they don't look too bad!
New Acquisition P3012111

BTW, Vacuum Oil was an American company; it merged with SOCONY (Standard Oil Co of New York) to form SOCONY-Vacuum and later became Mobil Oil. There is a brief article on Wikipedia, including mention of facilities in Nazi Germany.

I think I'll pass on your sleeve offer.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:18 pm

clive_t wrote:
Garrett, do you have any pics of your handiwork?

As far as I got was the grey Shocked. The rest of the markings I am talking with my wife (the crafty person of the house) to see if we can find some blue letters somewhere in decal/transfer or have the cut out of sticker paper on her Cricut machine.

http://www.cricut.com/
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Clive and Bill-

Here was the inspration, at a museum in CZ-

http://zmzlonice.draha.net/R555472new3.jpg
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 3:50 am

New Acquisition 17b++DSCF0954

New Acquisition Trains_070
Back to top Go down
pjti

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 am

Thats great Bill, loved the advertisement - "liniment.........Pegasus of the rails". But what is/was the "sign of the Gargoyle "?

When I was little we had a Mobilgas petrol station in the town and I was always fascinated by the logo, it certainly had a magical quality to me, now if only I could remember where it used to be .......... (reverses brain)
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 11:54 am

Gargoyle was Vacuum Oil Co's trademark for their Lube oils. I have no idea why.
New Acquisition 3777807203_8effed2d11

Socony/Mobil used Pegasus as their symbol for many years. The symbol originated with the Magnolia Petroleum co, another subsidiary of Mobil. There used to be a huge illuminated Pegasus sign on top of the old Magnolia Building (now the Magnolia Hotel) in downtown Dallas, TX. A well known landmark around these parts. It's gone now off the building, but I think it still exists in a museum somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 2:36 am

That would be a great small 4-4-0 to own, reminds me of the Crown Metal Products locos built for parks!

They also had the sphinx brand of petrol too.

Poking around on google.cz turned this up:

New Acquisition 10520

Sorry to hotlink, but I cannot find a way to attach a file to the forum, the upload does not appear to work for me?
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 pm

Quote :
Paul, I don't know how or even if you can opt to receive an email every time a new thread got posted that wasn't yours - but what you can do, if it helps, is when you go to the 'Home' screen (not the portal with the rolling window), in the top right corner there is the option to 'View posts since last visit' - I've just found that myself, so have learned something new today!

Thanks! I tried it and it works indeed. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Acquisition Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Acquisition   New Acquisition Empty

Back to top Go down

New Acquisition
Page 1 of 1