Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

15/16 October TDS in Normandy

Go down 
+6
tram47
Sparkeswood
Bearcastle
KleineDicke
GWhizz
Carl Hibbs
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Empty
PostSubject: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Advance notice of an event hosted by the president of TDS (Traverses Des Secondaires) at Saint Aubin du Thenney, a small village between Bernay and Orbec and about 15 minutes from me.

More details as they become available but I will be there with my double track portable layout and some 32mm track as well this time. Shocked

I will take along at least 2 diesels all being well plus live steam.

I would be nice if others could join and I will assist with accomodation and food.
I can happily host 2 couples (in separate rooms...) here for free, first come first served. But there are cheap gites and alike very close.
Plenty of space too for caravans (or camping for the brave) with electricity and water.

I will probably run trains here on Friday and Monday too and make a long weekend of it.

I am about 1h15 from either Caen and Le Havre and about 2h30 from Calais/Tunnel.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

I am about 1h15 from either Caen and Le Havre and about 2h30 from Calais/Tunnel.

But how far are you from Paris? What are the travel options after arriving in Paris by TGV 15/16 October TDS in Normandy 659249

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 pm

We are/It is 1 hour 15 minutes by good direct train Paris St Lazare to Bernay (main line to Caen). We live (and the event is too) about 10 - 15 mins from Bernay station,

The easiest, if your coming from Angouleme is TGV to Montparnasse then gare St Lazare, journey time about 5 hours.

There is another cross country way, and get off at Tours or St Pierre de Corps and catch a train to Mezidon which is on the Paris -Caen line and take a train back to Bernay. The time is about 20 mins longer.

They do a Loisir Reduit le Weekend which is the cheapest ticket I can see but not for October yet.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks Carl,

My attendance very much depends on Caroline's UK contract finishing before October and we're not sure at the moment. So will keep you posted by PM if I can make it.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:45 am

It would be great to see you Brian.

I haven't yet ruled out a trip 'down south' but again it's trying to find the right time around work and domestics.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:56 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I haven't yet ruled out a trip 'down south' but again it's trying to find the right time around work and domestics.

Well I'm pretty much stuck here for the summer cheers

So you'd be welcome anytime that fits in with your schedule and accomodation is no problem.

If you can make it? Give me a few days notice and we'll see if we can rustle up a few of the other locals!

15/16 October TDS in Normandy 302962 15/16 October TDS in Normandy 148487

BTW pick up from Angouleme TGV no problem 30 minutes away!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks Brian.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Spoke to the organisers (TDS) of this event last night and a confirmation that this will go ahead as planned.

There will be at least 2 large G scale layouts including mine and featuring very much live steam. At the moment we can count upon about a dozen locos.

For visitors (members of this forum) we can offer free accomodation either at my house (2 rooms available) or at a huge comfortable gite in St Aubin along with other mostly French guests.

Paid for meals will be at either the relais routier on the main N13 near me or in a restaurant in St Aubin plus catering at the venue. You will not go hungry!

This is available for a small number of guests from this forum and offered from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. I can accomodate Sunday night if required.

I know two people have expressed an interest and possibility in coming (Troy and Bill) and I would be happy to welcome a couple or few more.

The emphasis is on live steam (...plus a bit of diesel of course) rather than electric stuff.
So especially welcome would be anyone with a steam locomotive to run.

If anyone would like more information then please ask.

It's only a small village event but it attracted a lot of interest and activity last year.

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 4:59 pm

So I googled "Rail Saint Aubin" out of curiosity to see if there was anything on line about the event.

I got a couple of interesting hits:
http://staubinonline.com/ - an internet train shop, specializing in G scale
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Railway about the Jersey Railway, which at one time had its terminus at St Aubin.

So it seems St Aubin has a long and vast association with railroading.

All that aside, I am looking forward to this event. A visit to France never disappoints and this one promises to be great fun.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 5:05 pm

We are looking forward to your arrival too Bill.

And seriously your internet search discovery maybe of peculiar interest to the village people in St Aubin (du Thenney). You should tell them.

Who know perhaps in the future we could do some 'twinning' exchanges. Laughing

....Some cider and smelly cheese for a G scale mallet Question
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Ok I found it.

The village

15/16 October TDS in Normandy The_en14

The town Hall

15/16 October TDS in Normandy La_mai10

And the cow Cool

I presume the "salle des fêtes" is right next to the mairie after the car park.

Where is the place you talked about Carl for lunch in the village ?

Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Bearcastle wrote:
Ok I found it.

That looks so "Norman" not a red canal tile in sight - it could almost be the UK apart from the road sign Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Bearcastle wrote:

I presume the "salle des fêtes" is right next to the mairie after the car park.

Where is the place you talked about Carl for lunch in the village ?

Yes it is and the resto will either be here;

Agrandir le plan

or here

Agrandir le plan

The first one is on the road to Broglie a few kms from St Aubin and the second one is on the main road near me. I live about 1 km behind.

And if you continue west on the N13 (D613) La Haute Sente about 2km this is the turning to where I live.

Agrandir le plan
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 9:43 am

Okay. I spoke to JC this morning and the resto will be the one on the road to Broglie.

The meal on Saturday night plus breakfast and dinner Sunday is 'taken care of' for Troy and Bill as they booked up in advance.

If anyone else would like to come, there is no more room at the inn Saturday night but you will be very welcome and I will make sure you are fed and watered either Saturday or Sunday or both.

For Troy and Bill I will pm you about Saturday night.

I am also taking along an 00 gauge layout/diaroma that I built about 25 years ago when I had good eyes.
Back to top Go down
Bearcastle

Bearcastle

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Any pictures ?
Back to top Go down
http://scfbrie.webs.com/
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 6:31 pm

A great weekend.I don't think I've ever been so well looked after.Many thanks Carl and I was very pleased to meet Bill.(definately one of us with his sense of observation and humour.)

I've posted this video for you Carl.Edit and place it where you want.

Carl and his diesel.

However, I may be away for a little while due to some sudden family commitments.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 pm

It was an excellent weekend.

A small show but big on atmosphere and friendship. From a village bash to international event.

Photos and some film clips to follow. I'm a bit busy with work for the next couple days.

Troy and Bill were brilliant company and a good help plus my daughter too spent the best part of 2 days running trains.... Wink

Jean-Claude called me this evening to thank both of you (Bill and Troy) for coming and if you feel like making the journey to RailExpo he will provide you with hotel, food and entrance for the weekend. You made an impression. I love you

One of the greats was the successful running of 2 live diesels together, mine and Troy's, much to the bemusement of the the few score visitors.

Again pics to follow in a day or too.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 7:16 am

I too enjoyed myself - beyond my expectations. Jean-Claude and his crew know how to run a train show. I do wish I could return for Expo. I'll post some of my photos when I get back to Texas.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 pm

A few random pics that my daughter mostly took:

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta0110

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta0210

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta0310

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta0410

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta0510

I took along an OO model diaroma that I built 25 years ago at my daughter's request.

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta0710

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta0810

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta0910

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta1010

15/16 October TDS in Normandy Sta1110

Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Great pics and vid, Carl and Troy

I thought for one minute the diesel was being controlled by Captain Haddock! Laughing

Re picture 5, in the middle of the group at the back, is that the guy I did the miniature of?

I love the diorama too, very reminiscent of Bristol Docks!

Well done on making such a good impression
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Yes and Yes Clive. Pic 5 = Bill and J-C G plus you know who of course.

A clip of Troy's diesel during a manic 3 minutes.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Here's another clip taken by my (10 year old) daughter.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Great clips and pictures. That looks like a fun event to be indeed!
Back to top Go down
philkelly

philkelly

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 11:52 am

Loved this! Just like being there! Sorry to have missed this and that civic duties will keep me away from Villebon this year. Couldn't help noticing in clip 1 that number of onlookers at G Gauge layout in background = 0, onlookers for live diesel = everybody Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 15/16 October TDS in Normandy   15/16 October TDS in Normandy Empty

Back to top Go down

15/16 October TDS in Normandy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next