Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz

Go down 
+10
GWhizz
antonr91
clive_t
dufrok
Paulus
philkelly
David Grantham
mikeyh
KleineDicke
Carl Hibbs
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
tram47

Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 8:08 am

Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 317793 Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 972523
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 8:10 pm

A second test run today. Still a bit of a pig to start, flooding, hydraulic lock etc. but all part of the running-in process.

I changed the exhaust for a baffled wooden box type and still have a nice copper tailpipe.
This muffles the sound and is also cleaner in that it collects more of the spent oil.

The major difference and improvement is that of removing the clutch shoe spring.
The clutch is free on start up but immediately engages afterwards thus allowing lower revs for generating.
This tip was found by accident when the spring broke on the other model and this has successfully been employed on Troy's machine.

In the video the engine is running manually, no radio control on a slightly fast tickover.
This provides adequate volts/current to power the 2 traction motor bogies at a nice scale speed.

Only need to put the body on (it does fit...) and we're just ready for the weekend at St Aubin....

I did find that the engine was running a tad cold but this may improve with body on.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Last preparation and a run before Railexpo. I had hoped to finish off some details like the bogie frame sides and cab interior but these will have to wait now.

Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 Bllive10

It was a bit of a pig to start at first as I had left it for a month with oily fuel in the engine which had congealed and I hadn't used any after-run oil.
Once it warmed up it was fine and ran smoothly at low revs for a good 30 mins on 3/4 of a tank.

Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 7:44 pm

I love it Carl, especially the last shot Very Happy cant wait to see it up close at the expo....its going to be crazy see at least 4 diesels all in one place Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Nice video, great model... Not really his locale, but I'll wager that Msr Nuncio Grissoni would love to get behind the controls of that beast! drunken
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 8:32 pm

I haven't done the cab(s) yet but I have lots of space and I shall be having 2 chaps in there as they did in Corsica and in the south of France. One sort of pretending to drive and the other distracting him.

We could imagine that Maestru Grisoni was 'exiled' for a while on the mainland near Toulon pending the vendetta against his cousins.....and he got a part-time job driving up to St Raphaël to collect more liquor....... Cool
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Very Happy

For the uninitiated, Mr Grisoni (correct spelling this time!) started life as a Preiser track-worker figure, his full story can be found here: http://www.cgtrains.com/t67-new-starter-on-the-cfc
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Carl,

I have just read through all the live diesel posts to get up to speed.
Two things I dont understand

Instead of a 3 phase BLDC could you use a 2 phase BLDC and avoid rectifiying the output to get DC. What are the disadvantages of 2v3 phase.

Can you remember if anyone published a diagram for the 3 phase to DC rectification.

Tx
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 Img00210David, I blagged mine from the fourth post on this page - three pairs of diodes, feed a phase into each pair, then pick up DC on the outer tracks. No drawing I'm afraid. However I made a few spares, so you are welcome to one if it helps.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 pm

That's it Dave just as I have done but yours looks neater.

You can buy them cheaply ready encapsulated in a package but they are bigger than making your own on breadboard.

Here's the diagram:

Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 Ac_3_p10

All BLDC motors are 3 phase (to my knowledge).

3 phase BLDC motors are far more efficient than DC motors in converting mechanical force into electrical energy and vice versa.
BLDC motors seem to be able to handle very high revs, they are small, lightweight and comparatively cheap.

It's rather like in cars: the old dynamo versus the alternator.

BTW I'm waiting for a new chassis to arrive and then I'll build another......
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks Carl and Dave,

The article I have just read talked about 2 phase and 3 phase BLDC. I will investigate.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Well after a cursory glance of

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/6.html#02461.png

I am guessing that 2 phase BLDC is OK in low load start ups applications as with
computer fans. All bigger BLDCs, relevant our application, seem to be 3 phase or more.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:25 pm

I didn't know they (2 phase) exist.... scratch

You would still need a (bridge) rectifier if you used one as a generator.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Carl, I have a small brushless cooling fan motor that runs off a battery. If I rotate the motor, using an IC engine for example, why dont I get DC out, since that is what goes in.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Difficult to say without seeing it or putting a meter on it.

But not all motors generate or give out electricity, there maybe some cicuitry preventing it.

Also it could be that there is a controller on the input which converts the straight DC to operate the brushless motor.

If that is the case you could try putting a bridge rectifier on the connections nearest the motor and see if anything comes out.
Back to top Go down
twainmanbg

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 11:29 am

Oh dear Carl,
what have you done, cant get the idea of a 1/6 scale live diesel out of my head. I am building 15" gauge on gauge 3 size track and trying to find drawings of Captain Howey of the RHDR, that baby will be 40" long and 8' wide and about 12" tall, was going to do battery, but you got me thinking now,loads of space in the engine compartment.
All the best,
Richard.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 am

Can't help you with the drawings but it's an impressive locomotive and looks similar to many metric gauge diesels like Faur.

At 8" wide you could easily put a small cheap petrol engine from a strimmer or similar connected to small (motorbike) alternator.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz    Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Locotracteur Brissoneau et Lotz
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: