Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

French Military wagons

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeyh

mikeyh

French Military wagons Empty
PostSubject: French Military wagons   French Military wagons EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I know that the French Army WW1 lines were 60cms and the rolling stock was grey in colour, but does anybody know if the metre gauge wagons that were used for deliveries on publis lines were grey also? or would normal vans be used?

mikey
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: French Military wagons   French Military wagons EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 4:03 pm

The standard gauge goods wagons (WWI vintage) that were sent to the US after WWII ( see Merci Train) were grey as well, so the same might be true for meter gauge rolling stock.
Back to top Go down
mikeyh

mikeyh

PostSubject: Re: French Military wagons   French Military wagons EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 4:09 pm

That'll do for me Bill! Don't need to be 100 per cent accurate but i thought a couple of grey vans would add a bit of 'colour?'.. 1910 was a very drab year ya know!!l

mikey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: French Military wagons   French Military wagons EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 4:38 pm

mikeyh wrote:
That'll do for me Bill! Don't need to be 100 per cent accurate but i thought a couple of grey vans would add a bit of 'colour?'.. 1910 was a very drab year ya know!!l

mikey

Olive drab...I presume... Laughing

I found this that might interest you. It's a standard gauge wagon though.

Wagon Militaire

For more info you could search for 5eme Genie which was the now disbanded railway engineer regiment.
They had a huge camp (camp des matelots) at Versailles.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: French Military wagons   French Military wagons EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 6:44 pm

How 'bout this: A standard gauge quarante et huit wagon militaire on an "adapter" wagon (I don't know the French term for these - in German they are called a 'Rollbock" or a 'Rollwagen'). That would probably be more historically accurate than a meter gauge wagon militaire.

That would also imply an interchange somewhere between your tramway and a primary rail network - another future expansion idea?

BTW, here's a photo of the Merci Train car in Austin, TX. It is a PLM wagon.
Image hosted by servimg.com
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: French Military wagons   French Military wagons EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 7:12 am

Grey was a standard color for freight wagons in Europe in those times. In the 1900 - 1920 period it was at least a standard color for freightcars in The Netherlands and Belgium and I believe also in France and Germany. Will this help? Some grey 'voie metrique' cars.

Wagon couvert metrique

Wagon fourgon metrique

Luxembourg narrow gauge (scroll down)

and on Google some more ;-)

Paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: French Military wagons   French Military wagons Empty

Back to top Go down

French Military wagons
Page 1 of 1