Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
clive_t

clive_t

Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un... Empty
PostSubject: Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un...   Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un... EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Sometimes working away from home has its compensations... I am in Bath at the moment, and every day, twice a day, I get to drive past this:

Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un... IMAG0088

Not a particularly good picture I admit, but that's the best my phone can do I'm afraid!

This structure fascinates me, I have to admit - it's 170 years old for one thing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_Tunnel
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un...   Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un... EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Bath is one of the few places in England I have actually visited. Went there with a group tour, from my daughter's high school. We got to Bath late due to traffic and only barely had enough time to visit the Roman baths. No time to visit the town itself - seemed like a really nice town. The tour guides rushed us back onto the bus so we could sit in traffic again getting back to London (late again) for a cold meal in a bad restaurant. I asked if my daughter and I could stay in Bath and make our own way back to London, but that was not allowed.

Neat tunnel. It has an interesting history as well.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un...   Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un... EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Bath is well worth a return visit Bill, if you're ever back this side of the pond. A bit touristy, but it's a classy place for sure. Traffic problems are still here though - i get treated to that every evening. The village of Box is 6 miles east of it, so also easily accessible.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un...   Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un... EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 7:44 pm

I can't ever think about Bath without thinking about the 'The Landlady'...Roald Dahl, tales of the unexpected...

"Bath is such a splendid city, go and find your own lodgings....."

"Will you have another cup of tea...?" No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un...   Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un... Empty

Back to top Go down

Box Tunnel - not bad for an old 'un...
Page 1 of 1