Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

GWhizz

Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente Empty
PostSubject: Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente   Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:04 pm

There's a funny story behind these pictures, I've been driving past this feature for the last 5 years, as it's on the way to our nearest local town - Montembouef.

It was only when a year back, Mikey and I were driving back from the show at Chatellerault that we decided to try and trace the route of the CF Economiques close to my home.

We were pretty sure we'd found the old route and on the way back when Mike slammed on the brakes and said words to the effect "Brian you idiot - what's that?" One of the most obvious remnants of a steam railway!

It's taken me another year to find the time to stop and photograph this edifice - but here it is...
Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente Tower110

Sadly no longer in working order...
Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente Tower210

Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente Tower310
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente   Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente EmptySat Nov 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Whilst on the subject of sad railway features, I also stopped by Chasseneuil sur Bonnieure which although still has a plattform and services on the Angouleme-Limoges line, has sadly neglected the magnificent , villa like, station building which is boarded up in favour of a pathetic glass bus stop shelter...
Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente Chasse10

And a once imposing water tower...
Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente Chasse11
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente   Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Do you have any more pics Brian? And anymore history of the SE line?

There have been at least 2 stations on this line for sale direct from the SNCF/RFF in the last few years. Not this one though. What a magnificent building...If only I had the money to restore it....
Hop out of bed and catch the train.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente   Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Do you have any more pics Brian? And anymore history of the SE line?

Sorry for the slow response, but my phone and internet has been down from Saturday night until now! Although it looks like I've been "logged in" all that time!

No more pics at the moment, but I will take one of the station at La Rochefaucald which is a very similar building but still in active use!

There are some obvious "crossing keepers" cottages on the abandoned line, now a cycle track, from Marthon towards Angouleme, but that's more Mikey's neck of the woods!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente   Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente Empty

Back to top Go down

Ignoring the obvious - Railway history in the Charente
Page 1 of 1