Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Accucraft Ruby on Ebay

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Paulus

Paulus

Accucraft Ruby on Ebay Empty
PostSubject: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:39 pm

I saw this Accucraft Ruby on ebay.
Would that be a good price for a secondhand locomotive?
Looks like it's in a good condition.
What are the things to watch out for when buying a second hand steamengine?
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Paul, personally I would never buy a secondhand steam loco unless I knew the seller or the seller was a long time regular in a recognised forum or I could see the loco on a live test run.

The main reason is that in the UK locos hold their price well such that a 2 year loco might fetch 80% of its original price. I dont think the risk/reward ratio is worth it if it involves an unknown remote seller.

Specifically, might be better bet to buy a Ruby kit, if they are still available, save 30% not 20% and have the pleasure of building a new loco.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Sounds like a good advise David. Thanks!

Buying a second hand one from Ebay and even more from the other side of the ocean without seeing it is not a good idea than...
But imagine if I could buy a second hand locomotive and I could see it run. What are thinks to check to see if it's in a good condition or not?

I contacted the Dutch importer from Accucraft and he could deliver a Ragleth 040 power unit for 550 euro's. He stated that's the price of it in the UK + P&P to The Netherlands.
Than again I see them priced for around 390 pouds (about 457 euro) like this one.. But at the moment I'm still out of enough pocket-money anyway... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Paul, I can do the post and packing to the next French exhibition for free.

I think what to look for is largely a function of manufacturer. If you bought a Roundhouse locomotive you are very very unlikely to have any problems and if you did the service standard is just exceeptional, often at nil cost.
I only have one locomotive from another manufacturer, Pearse, and that was an absolute nightmare and it took me about 2 years to get perfectly sorted.
I have no experience with Accucraft or Regner but I know that Accucraft are only now starting to provide spares support and maintenance support through a third party. Regner, whilst excellently engineered and refined, seem more thoroughbred temperamental than the workhorse Roundhouse, and I would take an Accucraft/Regner experienced person to the steaming if at all possible.

If you must buy without on the spot advice, then I would look for

- Slow speed performance in both directions
- Wear on the motion and wheels
- Run time up to spec
- Pressure gauge function at full spec
- Safety valve works at spec
- Preferably 2.4 Mgb radio and servos that dont chatter
- Any obvious physical damage to the body and out of square body
- Any sign of boiler overheating or discolouration of paint finish
- A full gas, water, lube run cycle demo
- A good reason for selling

Also I would avoid at all costs a loco being posted via a third party carrier. My Pearse loco was badly smashed in transit after supplier repairs. Also Carl has more experience than I, except possibly for Roundhouse, so he might well have additional suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 6:51 pm

My experiences of Ruby:

I haven't owned one but I have helped put a kit together and had a few running on my former line in Chelles.

They are not very powerful and difficult to control smoothly at any respectably slow speed.

The quality is average and the frames are pretty thin. The kit is quite easy to built for a novice and is easily bashed into something else. There are plenty of conversions and several improvements from people like Milton Loco Works.

Like David I would be very wary about buying a first time steam loco second-hand on e bay without personal trial. I've seen and heard of unpleasant machines.

If you want to try live steam you can borrow one of mine. With hindsight you could have taken one away with you in Paris and given it to me back another day but I didn't think.... rabbit

For a 'cheap' steamer you could buy a new Edrig (now Ragleth) power unit from Track Shack and other suppliers for about 400 euros. Then you could build your own unique body. Smile

Each manufacturer has its own merits and bad points...I've had dealings with all the major ones.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks for the advise, information and specially the very kind offers on the P&P and even the option of borrowing one! I might come back on both of these offers!

Just another layman question; I've read on the FAQ on the Accucraft website it was recomended to use filtered rainwater? Is that truly the best? What do you use?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 9:42 am

I use filtered rainwater collected from the roof of the covered terrace which is polycarbonate and plastic guttering.

Or I use de-mineralised (not de-ionised) water.

There were volumes written on forums about this subject concerning types of water and the reaction with brass and soldered joints.
Geoff was even scrutinising the contents of a bottle of drinking water in the restaurant to see if it was suitable for his locomotive. Rolling Eyes

Just a bit more about steam locos and Regner in particular.

You saw 4 Regners at railexpo in steam:
My Chiemseebahn, not really for a novice and then 3 'Emmas'.
My old original one which is very easy to operate and maintain.
Pat and Gilles red 'old version' which ran well.

These locomotives are well run-in and behave differently to a virgin locomotive as the new version Emma I built for Jean-Claude.

First, the regulator servo ceased to function, bad luck/faulty product and nothing to do with Regner.
Then the gas jet blocked which I found home here was caused by a tiny fragment of PTFE tape.
Then it threw a crank because (and after advising Jean Claude to check regularly monkey ) I failed to check tighten myself before running! Embarassed

But despite these 'problems' The Emma is in my opinion good choice for a second locomotive or a 'faux débutant', semi beginner to steam.

Unfortunately the operation of steam locomotives can be a bit scary to start with and can even result in damage or injury.

It is fair to say that Roundhouse locos in my experience are the easiest and safest to operate.
That doesn't mean the others are dangerous but they require a little more attention and care.

Jean-Claude's novice friend also had a new Emma but built by Regner. Sadly on its first firing it almost blew up because the burner was incorrectly operated with the flame burning out of control in the smokebox.
That's not really a fault with Regner who at one time wouldn't sell a locomotive by post. He insisted on you collecting the machine from Germany after a period of practice on his layout.

This overburning can happen too with Accucraft locos which can also spit oil and water everywhere until the cylinders are warm.

The best thing is as you did in Paris was to practice lighting and operating few times someone else's machine. affraid

Maybe we should do our own tips and tricks for live steam operation.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 10:44 am

Quote :
Maybe we should do our own tips and tricks for live steam operation.

Yes please! Surprised
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Yes...expensive and based on a 60cm gauge loco with a scale of 1:19

They will be excellent models though I'm sure but I wish he (Lorenz Schug - Accucraft de) would have chosen a metre gauge loco like a Corpet or Pinguely. Neutral
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Wow, gorgeous and with inside frames. Carl did this type run on the CFC and just how much are they going to cost.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 3:37 pm

David, this type of loco would have indeed ran on the Chemin de Fer de Calvados and indeed preserved on the other CFC. Smile
Chemin de Fer de Chanteraines

We all got interested in these locos a couple of years ago when they were first proposed.

G scale Decauville

The original guide prices are there but I'm not sure if they are valid now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accucraft Ruby on Ebay   Accucraft Ruby on Ebay Empty

Back to top Go down

Accucraft Ruby on Ebay
Page 1 of 1