Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Regner Max including upgrade info

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Spule 4

Regner Max including upgrade info Empty
PostSubject: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:12 am

Does anyone happen to know the Regner part numbers for the drive chain, pressure gauge and sight glass for the Max? Dad bought a Bix burner (026) for his Max and I told him at a minimum he should get the sight glass and drive chain.

I have poked around on the Regner website (no point in e-mailing them Evil or Very Mad ) and the US "dealer", but have not had any luck on the part numbers, prices, etc.

Thanks-
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 am

You could contact Martins models, the UK agent, and he seems to be efficient at responding to emails. He may even have the extras in stock.

martin@gardenrailways.co.uk

Tel 01544 230777
http://www.gardenrailways.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:48 am

That's good advice seeing as Regner seem to be silent at the moment.

The parts are there in the catalogue, well a gas burner and a turret valve and I believe you can get a water filler too.

I will have a look when I get home. You can also try Atelier Vaporiste in France. I am waiting for my Max to be deivered as we speak. Pascal there is very helpful too and replies to e mails!
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 3:11 pm

I found this on another forum:

These are the Regner parts needed:

Manometer: 30180 (Pressure Gauge)
dazu passender Siphon: 30123 (matching siphon)
Wasserstandanzeige: 30210 (Water level indicator)

and this:

All the parts can be ordered direct from Regner or through their UK agent Martin's Models. What you will need are:

£18.00 Manometer: 30180 (Pressure Gauge in Brass or Black)
£8.95 dazu passender Siphon: 30123 (matching siphon)
£13.95 Wasserstandanzeige: 30210 (Water level indicator)

If you want to add the lamp this is the most expensive part of all (25403@£32). The coupling pins are 75040@£2.50 and the chain links are 75039@£3.40. The safety chain I added on both sides is just some fine link copper chain and this came from a show and is available from model shops.

These were -posted about a year ago, so there's likely some escalation in price (ObamaBucks).
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 3:01 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
That's good advice seeing as Regner seem to be silent at the moment.

The parts are there in the catalogue, well a gas burner and a turret valve and I believe you can get a water filler too.

I will have a look when I get home. You can also try Atelier Vaporiste in France. I am waiting for my Max to be deivered as we speak. Pascal there is very helpful too and replies to e mails!

Thanks David and Carl, I will Martins, or have dad try him.

KleineDicke wrote:
I found this on another forum:

These are the Regner parts needed:

All the parts can be ordered direct from Regner or through their UK agent Martin's Models. What you will need are:

£18.00 Manometer: 30180 (Pressure Gauge in Brass or Black)
£8.95 dazu passender Siphon: 30123 (matching siphon)
£13.95 Wasserstandanzeige: 30210 (Water level indicator)

If you want to add the lamp this is the most expensive part of all (25403@£32). The coupling pins are 75040@£2.50 and the chain links are 75039@£3.40. The safety chain I added on both sides is just some fine link copper chain and this came from a show and is available from model shops.

These were -posted about a year ago, so there's likely some escalation in price (ObamaBucks).

Thanks, I found "superbiker's" (Peter Jones) post on the Mamod forum where you found this info:

http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=38111&start=0

He has done some amazing Mamod/MSS bashes including a Quarry Hunslet-esque one that you have to look close to see the Mamod origins.

Hmm, he used a different Bix burner than what I told dad to get, but either should be fine. The drawback of both the Max and the Mamod Brunel is the burner is at floor level, not low like other DeWinton locos. I had really liked the Mamod Brunel until I found out the top of the loco is 180mm/7" above the rails!

And actually, unless Regner has had a hike, the prices should be same or cheaper due to the dollar being stronger against the GBP, it was about $1.50-ish when I joined the 16mm association last month. I can remember gulping and buying steam parts with a $2+ dollar exchange rate during (as my hero and mentor the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson called him) the term of the Child President.affraid
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:31 am

There is a Umsteuerventil part no. 40548 36,00€ which is the trurret valve and will enable reversing.

I collected my 'Max' from the post office this morning. Pics to follow if I can get in the garage workshop.

I have had a quick look at mine and there will certainly be some modifications but not a conversion to electric transmission. Shocked
That looks impractical and I will wait for a stationary engine from Regner (Microline range) to become available.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 pm

I changed the title slightly to avoid starting another thread.

Here are some views of my out of the box.

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0110

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0210

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0310

It is very basic indeed. Boilier, fire pan for combustible gel, oscillating engine and single axle double reduction transmission.

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0410

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0510

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0610

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0710

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0810

Regner Max including upgrade info Max0910

I am thinking about a radical conversion and not using the wooden Max body.
The wood and metal chassis wheelbase is only about 60mm but the ovarll length is about 200mm.
I may shorten or replace the body completely for a shorter one.

I will keep the gel fuel for the time being as this is easier for my daughter to use.

It will have to be radio controlled somehow too.... scratch

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
There is a Umsteuerventil part no. 40548 36,00€ which is the trurret valve and will enable reversing.

I collected my 'Max' from the post office this morning. Pics to follow if I can get in the garage workshop.

Interesting, again, I have tried on the Regner site, aber, ich kann nicht "Zubehör", "Ersatzteile" oder "Kleinteile" gefunden! Shocked

Then, I remembered what the Germans like to do, why list all your items on your website when you can put them in the online catalog and veiw it that way? Very Happy I will send this on to dad.

Interesting in the German price hike of EUR 40 on the model, but Max gibt es als ein bausatz at the old price. Smile For me, I take everything apart when I first buy it, so the kit would be of more interest anyhow. bounce

The downer is the dreaded German red dot next to all the classic "easy line" locos including the Willi and Challoner. Sad to see the plug pulled on those locomotives. Crying or Very sad But then, the time comes for everything.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Very nice pictures Carl.

Glad to see no shatterd wood bits as on dad's model. The US "dealer" packed it loose in its Regner box in some packing peanuts.

I have not seen his model myself (it is 400 miles away) so a couple questions, it appears that the deck is not wood but plastic? I assume the frame is cast metal.

Again the only downside I see is they did not design the loco (well, with the as designed Sterno burner the reson is obvious) to have the boiler down between the wheels and the burner below the footplate. That could take a good inch down in height, as the one downfall of many of the commercial De Winton-eseque locos is the height.

EDIT: Another thought Carl, there are some that are designing chuff pipes and moving the exhaust to improve performance and prevent everything from getting blasted with emulsified (SP?) oil sprayed all over. An example on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIfWZhwF6k0

Interesting thoughts on making it shorter, I will be watching this with interest!Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Spule 4 wrote:

The downer is the dreaded German red dot next to all the classic "easy line" locos including the Willi and Challoner. Sad to see the plug pulled on those locomotives. Crying or Very sad But then, the time comes for everything.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this red dot in the catalogue is for ease of construction/use. There is a legend at the beginning of the catalogue explaining the different colours.

On the website stock list (Lagerliste) that red dot means they are out of stock and will not be produced for a while until the next batch. I don't think it means the complete demise of a model and you can still place an order and wait....and wait.

The deck is laser cut plywood of medium quality, there is no plastic. The boiler could easily be moved and maybe lowered by modifying the chassis perhaps with a split axle.

It has a lot of potential. Very Happy

Trouble is that I want to take it apart but it is minus 6 in my garage workshop at the moment and I don't do trains in the house really so it'll have to wait for a few days.
But I will order up some parts from Regner in readiness.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:23 pm

Yes I've seen the Maxes on You tube but I think I'll just reroute the exhaust pipe into the chimney itself via a small hole. Maybe even fit a larger chimney with a tiny condenser too.....

BTW I think everyone should go and see the latest non-steam rail offering from Regner...... affraid

No wonder he has been busy and not answering people.

Don't click on this link if you are scared easily
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Spule 4 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this red dot in the catalogue is for ease of construction/use. There is a legend at the beginning of the catalogue explaining the different colours.

On the website stock list (Lagerliste) that red dot means they are out of stock and will not be produced for a while until the next batch. I don't think it means the complete demise of a model and you can still place an order and wait....and wait.

The deck is laser cut plywood of medium quality, there is no plastic. The boiler could easily be moved and maybe lowered by modifying the chassis perhaps with a split axle.

It has a lot of potential. Very Happy

Trouble is that I want to take it apart but it is minus 6 in my garage workshop at the moment and I don't do trains in the house really so it'll have to wait for a few days.
But I will order up some parts from Regner in readiness.

Thanks for the reply. I saw the REGNER in the deck and what looked like tabs in the frame, did not think of Lasercut myself.Embarassed Ditto on the dot, what happens when you ass-ume something.

Yes, you are having a much colder winter than we are in the US. I have had to heat my workshop only a few times this year, and the electricity bills (less than half of last year's) show this.

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Yes I've seen the Maxes on You tube but I think I'll just reroute the exhaust pipe into the chimney itself via a small hole. Maybe even fit a larger chimney with a tiny condenser too.....

Warning, it was either on this or some other vertical boiler loco, there were owners that tried this then had problems with the oil/water mix fouling the burner. If you had a condenser (oil knock-out) prior to routing just the steam vapor up to the chimney, then one may be OK.

Carl Hibbs wrote:
BTW I think everyone should go and see the latest non-steam rail offering from Regner...... affraid

No wonder he has been busy and not answering people.

Don't click on this link if you are scared easily

WOW!!!! You made my day!!!!!! Very Happy

Lanz Bulldog motors/tractors are of great interst to me (a mutual antique tractor friend informed me there is one near me, but I have yet to see it, rare in the USA). Honestly, something like this would be as close to a real one as I could get outside of the new ones being made by Interlok of Poland (the poeople responsible for keeping all those steam locos going in Poland).

http://www.interlok.info/LawiWalzene.htm
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Good point about the exhaust especially with the gel burner. I'll try and make something like a condenser.

So the bizarre Lanz rail tractors really existed and not just an imagination by Regner. I'm impressed at his research-turned-into-model.

The hot bulb/vacuum/Stirling engines can be bought on e bay quite cheaply. I always wondered about using one for a locomotive.....another project. Idea
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Good point about the exhaust especially with the gel burner. I'll try and make something like a condenser.

So the bizarre Lanz rail tractors really existed and not just an imagination by Regner. I'm impressed at his research-turned-into-model.

The hot bulb/vacuum/Stirling engines can be bought on e bay quite cheaply. I always wondered about using one for a locomotive.....another project. Idea

Page 33 in the catalog shows one, but at $60US, I think dad and I can come up with one (not blue🇳🇴 ) ourselves.

I will have to look, I have seen the flame eater and sterling motors, but not hot bulb. Also it appears that Regner have done the proper water cooling.

http://www.dampfkultur.de/26.html
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:20 pm

You've got one Carl!? Looking forward to see how this will turn out after you modified/kitbashed it. What do you have in mind for it?
If you keep the gel burner you have to leave it an open construction?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Well the temperature rose to a sweltering 1°C enough for me to venture into the garage this afternoon.

So Max comes apart very easily just 8 screws holding all the main components together.
Regner Max including upgrade info Max0311

After the wooden body is removed the wagon type chassis is also wood and brass (or a sort of bronze).
Regner Max including upgrade info Max0411

The boiler and engine are just connected together with the steam pipe.
Regner Max including upgrade info Max0511

It would be quite feasible to turn the boiler round 90° so that the burner opening faces the side.
You can use one of the 2 sets of holes (for the water level) for the steam outlet. New footplate mounting holes will need to be drilled and tapped though. I'm going leave mine as is at the moment.
Regner Max including upgrade info Max0611

I am going make my own minimalist body but shorter than the Regner one which I shall just pack away in a box. I have started to make a floor out of 2mm alluminium although this one is a little too short and I've made another slightly longer.
Regner Max including upgrade info Max0211

I don't want the overall length to be more than 150mm and the gel burner end will be open.
After all this machine was purchased to run expressly on the Momi module.

Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:07 am

Thanks for the further photos.

I may have to buy one of these vs. another project....

I did not realize there were four bungs into the boiler, that would allow for sight glass and a filler. The question is, does anyone make a filler valve for the Max?

Looking forward to your work on this project.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:59 pm

There are 5 M5 threaded holes in the boiler plus a larger M6 threaded one for the safety valve. 2 sets inline at 180° to each other for (I presume) a choice of sight glass position. The other upper one at 90° degress is the existing steam outlet.

Regner themselves make a water filler valve which is usually installed via a banjo on top the sight glass.

You can buy all sorts of plumbing parts from Regner and what you fit is only limited by imagination....
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:18 pm

OK, in my limited German skills, I was checking the catalog in the fittings section and cannot what looks like a Goodall injector or the like, you wouldn't happen to have a part number Carl?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Garrett, the part is called a Speiseventil and is on P56 of the catalogue part number 20235 for M5 (or 20230 for M6).

It's not cheap at 21.50€ but at the moment there is nothing else that I know of.

This comes as a set of parts including the syphon/banjo and pipe. You may not need all this and the actual valve part could be screwed directly into the boiler. I did this with the Regner Hanna and screwed it straight into the manifold ok.

There are Goodall valves made for other makes notably Accucraft but these have an M8 thread as far as I can remember without checking.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks.

So it is a standard M5 or M6 thread? If so, to qoute our friend Baldric, I may have a Cunning Plan....

http://www.horracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=179&osCsid=ljp7iuksk9qt235pv81597dl81

....and a saw, a suitable tap, a small head allen or torx head screw and some tubing...
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 8:03 am

It's an M5 thread that is on most Regner small boilers such Max.

Okay so what are you actually going to do to create the pressure valve?
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:59 am

Yes, there are many examples of making these on the internet. The ones I have owned for Mamods are stupid-simple, a single bit of brass and small bit of tubing.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I just accidentally bumped into this.

http://www.panyo.com/project/index.htm

I do n't know what the cost of the parts are or availability but I will have a look to see if this is viable. Might be of interest to you Paul as a first build live steam.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Looks pretty neat, but the instructions seem to have gaps in them. scratch The boiler/engine kit lists for $100 and the assembled version is $160. The assembled version comes with a relief valve; the kit doesn't. They are made as power for model steamboats & are fired with Sterno.

Unfortunately, both are listed as "Out of Stock". You can however download the instructions from the manufacturer's website.

Steam Engine Kit

Pre-Assembled Steam Engine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info Empty

Back to top Go down

Regner Max including upgrade info
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next