Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Regner Max including upgrade info

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Looks pretty neat, but the instructions seem to have gaps in them. scratch The boiler/engine kit lists for $100 and the assembled version is $160. The assembled version comes with a relief valve; the kit doesn't. They are made as power for model steamboats & are fired with Sterno.

Unfortunately, both are listed as "Out of Stock". You can however download the instructions from the manufacturer's website.

Steam Engine Kit

Pre-Assembled Steam Engine
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Ah, the BAGRS loco..... no.

Now, a man here in Nashville made coal boilers for these, very nice!

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1307510445034675872RtfnZf
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 pm

That's very depressing (and envious) when you see things like that.

People who can make their own boilers and fittings and put it all together. Neutral

Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Yes, Harry is a good steam guy, I have bought a few items (1/8" steam line and oil) from him and he mentioned these boilers.

He is also making a double-sized LBSC Tich for himself. You can see some pictures at that page.

The one interesting moment was when I showed him my IP Engineering "Jane" boiler. He asked what it cost and when I told him (around $220 due to the terrible exchange rate at the time) he told me it was a bargain as he could not come close to making one at that price.

So one has to wonder what his coal BAGRS boilers would cost! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Some more Max progress....

Started with a new aluminium floor and buffer beams

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0213

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0312

Then I decided to make a small condenser.

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0413

The exhaust steam pipe is now routed through the chimney. Very Happy

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0512

A simple new 'body' was fabricated from brass with an alluminium roof.
This gives it quite a bit more weight with the floor.

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0612

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0711

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0811

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0911

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max1110

This the old body longer in comparison which was inequal over the chassis wheelbase.

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Max0111

I am waiting for some add-on parts from Regner before progressing any further.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 4:10 pm

EXCELLENT!!! Very Happy cheers

Smart idea to route the exhaust through the chimney.
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Great work! You have really improved the model.

Yes, the lack of blanace/inequal spacing of the model has bothered me. You have addressed this quite well!

I assume you fabricated the condenser? If so, looks good.

I am guessing you used a diamter of copper plumbing tube and then 1/8" or 3.5mm line (I re-plumbed much of a Citroen GS years ago with 1/8" line, it was close enough) for the feed and exhaust.

It also apperars that you then step down to a thinner tube up the chimney? If so, I wonder if there will be any impact of the restriction in terms of backpressure, as on some ozzy models (such as the Mamod) this helps keep speed down.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 4:30 pm

I used 3mm copper pipe (we're all metric here.... Wink ) This was indeed stepped down to 2.5mm brass tube to negotiate the flue tubes in the boiler.

The condenser is just a home made sump from a piece of 16mm copper pipe.

I haven't steam it up yet. That will have to wait until next weekend now.

Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I noticed the drain bung also, good work Carl!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks Garrett,

With it open at the back you can remove the fuel tray more easily now.

The problem I have at the moment is the locomotive is no of use for the Momi module as it needs to have a means of reverse and be radio controlled. So that is the next step and a challenge to fit the rc gear out of sight.
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Apart from a remote controlled finger, how would one remotely change the direction on this loco?

Maybe you should add some plumbing from the keg to Max and convert it to alcohol fired. Razz
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 6:52 pm

KleineDicke wrote:
Apart from a remote controlled finger, how would one remotely change the direction on this loco?

Maybe you should add some plumbing from the keg to Max and convert it to alcohol fired. Razz

I am guessing the model is not a "self starter" being a single cylinder ozmotor...
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 9:14 pm

KleineDicke wrote:

By reversing the steam connections between inlet and exhaust. Cool

Thats why Regner sell a turret valve (Umsteuerventil) for this locomotive, part number 40548. Connect that to a servo and away you go ........or come, hopefully.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Well it came to pass today and into steam it went.

Here's the film courtesy of YouTube's new video editor:

Some pluses and minuses.

It is controllable at slow speeds but is inclined to stall suddenly if the pressure drops and won't self start...yet!

The fuel I was using was more fluid than gel/past like Sterno but cheaper and the flames were a bit wild in the open wind.
I think a ventilated shroud around the base maybe useful perhaps some flame arresting mesh as I can see problems with fire insurance claims at exhibitions.... Shocked

The condenser isn't that essential as there wasn't a great deal of water and oil thrown out but it works anyway and the steam looks better coming out the chimney.

I'm still waiting for more parts from Regner to make some further modifications notably reversing.

Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I noticed the flames on your videos when you posted them on Youtube this afternoon. Spectacular but I don't think the organisation of an event will be very glad with that indeed... bom
The rest looks very promising!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Well...Regner service when ordering parts is very good if you use their slightly quirky online ordering system.
So the parts came to do some more upgrading.
Water filler and turret valve to allow reversing plus some odd parts to cobble together a water level indicator.

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Momi1111

I had to embark on some creative plumbing for the sight glass as the normal length Regner one for locomotives is too long and I thought it useless to make it smaller to fit the vertical holes. The top is now connected to the hole round the other side of the boiler and has a tee for the filler.

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Momi1012

Small turret valve now fitted which really needs lapping in to make a better seal.

Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Momi1211

I also made a simple mesh fire guard to stop the wild flames. It seems to work ok indoors. I have some film which I'll post later.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Excellent craftmanship Carl!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Just mini plumbing Paul and everything is available from Regner.

Here's some test film. I didn't run outside as the windy wet weather here is atrocious at the moment.

Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Looking good, Carl. Nice plumbing work for a telephone repairman. Laughing

I'm curious - if you use the turret valve to control the speed, will that cause premature wear?
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:06 am

KleineDicke wrote:
Looking good, Carl. Nice plumbing work for a telephone repairman. Laughing
Hey... a digital telephone repair man.Cool Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 24486

Quote :
I'm curious - if you use the turret valve to control the speed, will that cause premature wear?

Why do you think that? I'm curious too now. scratch What parts could wear prematurely?

I have a Regner Emma that only has one channel radio control on the turret valve. I just keep the manual regulator open to let steam in and use the turret valve for speed and reverse but there isn't a great deal of fine control although you can juggle with opening and closing, rather like slipping the clutch.

I've never really considered any wear aspects.Neutral
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Two wear mechanisms come to mind. First, you will likely be manipulating the position more frequently which will increase the face to face (or seat to stem) wear. Second. throttling steam across a valve causes seat wear unless the valve was designed for this service. A brass valve is going to be soft seated, so I suspect there will be some increase in wear -- the question is how much?? Only time will tell, but my guess is with the relatively low pressure of the steam, the wear will not be a huge problem. Your experience with Emma would seem to bear this out.

BTW, is a digital telephone repairman one who works with his fingers? I know I had a digital examination once - it wasn't a pleasant experience.Shocked
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:15 am

I finally got my hands on dads two year old (and still not fired!) Regner Max today. Even with the purchase of the Bix gas burner, he still thinks he will "run it one day".Shocked

I have earned a new respect for the construction of the model, including the ozmotor.

I still wonder if I should purchase one, but I somehow think I will end up with dad's in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regner Max including upgrade info   Regner Max including upgrade info - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Regner Max including upgrade info
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2