Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives Empty
PostSubject: Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives   Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 4:41 pm

I have been searching for a battery to use for powering a Stainz (as have others); quite a challenge, given its diminutive size. But I finally scored. I bought one of these and it fits inside the boiler. Of course, you will have to remove the lead weight, but it does fit. Even better, when I tested it yesterday, it powered the loco pulling two cars for 1 hr 45 min, far exceeding my expectations (I would have been happy with 1 hour). There is plenty of room in the cab for a receiver and ESC, so a remote controlled battery powered Stainz is a distinct possibility. BTW, this battery also fits inside the cabin of the Elias tram locomotive (alongside the boiler).

You'll also need to buy a Li-PO charger; I bought this one; it's cheap and it works. I also bought some JST-HX 3S wire extensions for connecting to the charger.

My first victim will likely be this guy, which I wrote about a while back here:

Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives Pictur21

The AAA NiMH batteries never gave enough run time (only about 40 min although they were rated at 1200 mAh, same as the Li-PO battery) and finally stopped accepting a charge. Once I get the new battery installed and connected I'll try to remember to post some photos.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives   Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 1:04 pm

I will be interested to see how you deal wih these Lipo batteries. They're something relatively unknown to me.

I've still got lead acid ones in some stock. Shocked
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives   Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 5:41 pm

As I understand it, the chemistry of Li-PO cells are the same as Li-Ion; in fact, the voltage is identical. The main difference is Li-PO has a flexible (polymer) housing wheras Li-Ion has a rigid (metal) housing. Li-PO cells can therefore be almost any size and shape, although most I've seen are still roughly rectangular. The polymer housing does mean however one must use more care when charging a Li-PO battery.

The individual cells are best charged using a "balancing" charger, which simultaneously charges the cells in a battery in parallel. While you can charge cells in series, and some chargers do it this way, it is not recommended since a single cell could overcharge which could lead to bad consequences (fire, explosions, etc.). BTW, some folks advocate using balancing chargers for LI-Ion batteries as well. It is further recommended that one not charge a Li-PO battery unattended. Model airplane users typically remove the battery from the airplane to charge it and some use a "charging bag" which is intended to contain any shrapnel etc.

I'm not sure how credible the doomsday scenarios are, but that's what I've read. (There's a member at "that other forum" who is a strong proponent of the doomsday stuff.affraid ) I figure a Stainz boiler is at least as strong as any charging bag Razz and I use a balancing charger which I believe mitigates the hazards.

Anyway, I'm off to push the envelope (my own envelope, at least).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives   Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives Empty

Back to top Go down

Battery Power for Stainz and Similar Locomotives
Page 1 of 1