Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

NSB trains in G scale

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ustoeuro

ustoeuro

NSB trains in G scale Empty
PostSubject: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 9:15 pm

NSB, the Norwegian State Railway, is something I really want to model in large scale. Unfortunately, the only locomotives I have found in this scale are from countries from across the Baltic, with France, Germany, and the UK. I know that the NSB is a rare prototype to model, and I have found next to nothing on the Internet about railroads modeling the NSB. A couple of my second cousins in Oslo model the NSB in HO scale, but I am looking for something suitable for a garden railroad.

More specifically, I am looking for any EL locomotives such as the EL 7, EL 10, EL 11 (which is what I've been trying to find the most), and EL 13.

Can anyone here help me?

By the way, I also live in the US, so anything I find would have to be shipped across the pond to where I live.

please help me Exclamation
Back to top Go down
ustoeuro

ustoeuro

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 pm

After searching, the only EL locomotive I have found is made by LGB by Marklin. It is an EL 10 for German railways, but knowing that the NSB had EL 10's, a little paint and some lettering later, and it would look nice. the product is expected to come out this spring.

Can anyone else add something?
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Welcome to our little mad house, ustoeuro.

Being totally unfamiliar with Norway's railroads, my suggestion would be to look for models similar in appearance to NSB rolling stock and make it look Norwegian, as with the E10 you mentioned. You'd be surprised what a fwe minor changes will do for the overall appearance of a model. Then there's the freelance route; make up a convincing tale scratch about how the German prototype wound up in Norway (maybe left over from the war). It's your railroad and you can do what you please with it. Above all, have fun cheers , and again, welcome to CGT.
Back to top Go down
ustoeuro

ustoeuro

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 3:01 pm

KleineDicke,

Thanks, it seems like that is the best way to go. But just like the US, I am assuming that an EL 10 is an EL 10, no matter what country, although there might be some minor changes depending on the locomotive ordered. But like you said, a little paint later, and it will at least look plausible. I probably wouldn't even need an excuse though, because Norway took in locomotives from everywhere.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 pm

ustoeuro wrote:
. But just like the US, I am assuming that an EL 10 is an EL 10, no matter what country, although there might be some minor changes depending on the locomotive ordered.

I'm afraid things work differently in Europe Ustoeuro. In the US the locomotive class is a manufacturers product designation, but in Europe it usually relates to a counties locomotive specification. For example, the NSB EL10 is also the SJ U class, and was made by 5 different manufacturers. So, this is an NSB EL10 :

NSB trains in G scale El10xv

and this is the DB E 10 to be introduced by LGB:

NSB trains in G scale E10-vorbildfront_220

This site may be helpful - there is a directory of photos for each country. http://www.railfaneurope.net

David
Back to top Go down
ustoeuro

ustoeuro

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:17 pm

dtsteam,

Oh, I get it now! Well, that makes it a bit complicated to figure out what locomotive I am looking for ten. Is there any standard where one locomotive has a universal name then? For instance, the locomotive that LGB is introducing, the E 10, is there a system available where I can walk up to anyone, describe the locomotive as _____ and they know which locomotive I am talking about?
Back to top Go down
ustoeuro

ustoeuro

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:35 pm

dtsteam wrote:
ustoeuro wrote:
. But just like the US, I am assuming that an EL 10 is an EL 10, no matter what country, although there might be some minor changes depending on the locomotive ordered.

I'm afraid things work differently in Europe Ustoeuro. In the US the locomotive class is a manufacturers product designation, but in Europe it usually relates to a counties locomotive specification. For example, the NSB EL10 is also the SJ U class, and was made by 5 different manufacturers. So, this is an NSB EL10 :

NSB trains in G scale El10xv

and this is the DB E 10 to be introduced by LGB:

NSB trains in G scale E10-vorbildfront_220

This site may be helpful - there is a directory of photos for each country. http://www.railfaneurope.net

David

Well, the second photo is close enough to what I'm looking for, so i'm going for it, regardless of what its called. Smile it looks similar to an EL 14, not my initial target, but better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
dtsteam

dtsteam

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 7:15 am

I see what you mean and I'm glad you've found something. Just gotta wait for it to appear.... Wink An NSB EL14 piccy for our friends....

[img]http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/no/electric/El14/NSBCargoNet_El14_rr1.jpg[/img]
Back to top Go down
KleineDicke

KleineDicke

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 2:41 pm

dtsteam wrote:
I see what you mean and I'm glad you've found something. Just gotta wait for it to appear.... Wink An NSB EL14 piccy for our friends....

[img]http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/no/electric/El14/NSBCargoNet_El14_rr1.jpg[/img]

It bears some resemblance to an RhB eLok as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NSB trains in G scale   NSB trains in G scale Empty

Back to top Go down

NSB trains in G scale
Page 1 of 1