Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Diesel 4

Go down 
+7
dtsteam
David Grantham
Sparkeswood
tram47
fm12
KleineDicke
Carl Hibbs
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks David but if you get it just keep it as a spare in the UK.
I have a few working engines now with 'modded' carbs.

You've looked at NZ too! Shame about the postage!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:30 am

David Grantham wrote:
Carl, if I am not outbid I will send this to you. I do not need this in the short term

I'd much rather you stop outbidding me and send it to me !
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 11:51 am

The problem with e bay now is you can't see who's bidding - obviously done deliberately to encourage some 'friendly fire' incidents and bump up the bidding war. Cool

I'm investigating a source of carbs suitable for .12 engines at the moment so don't spend (too much) money on this one.

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 2:54 pm

Could we have a policy of not bidding until we have notified relevent Carb interested individuals. That way Troy would have given me advance warning and not been accidentally trumped. Diesel 4 - Page 2 9343
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 6:19 pm

My fault really by saying "grab it" without thinking that more than one person might 'grab it' at the same time. silent

As I posted before there is someone selling carbs for an older version .12 Kyosho engine for £9.95 and they have several available but I am waiting a reply back (they're on holiday at the moment) to find if they will fit a GX12.

...And by the way don't anyone bid on the engine he (or she) has for sale, contact me first.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 am

I had an exhausting day yesterday...literally. Laughing

Trying to find or make an ideal exhaust sytem has been an ongoing quest since the beginning of live diesel.

Various methods and contraptions of have been tried with varying degrees of success but nothing perfect so far.

So I sat down and thought of the criteria (that I) needed.

Small and compact, cheap to buy or easy to construct and cheap to build, sump and drain facility, pressure outlet that avoids fuel syphoning into the engine exhaust port, simple mounting close to the engine without any long connecting pipes and hoses, rigid vertical exhaust so loco body easily and quickly fits over, some modest sound suppression but not critical for me.

Et voila.....

Made to measure in lustrous zinc of course!

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Exhaus10

A two piece folded box 30 x 20 x 50mm with a 7mm dia brass pipe soldered with about a 10mm space from the bottom.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Exhaus11

The manifold is 1.5mm thick x 9mm wide brass soldered to the outside of the box. Mounting holes are threaded M3 (using 2.2mm drill) and are 28mm apart.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Exhaus12

The drain hole is 4.2mm with an M4 brass nut soldered inside. The plug will be a short M4 bolt with a sealing washer.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Exhaus13

The pressure outlet is a stub of 3mm copper pipe and a brass washer.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Exhaus14

One side of the brass manifold extends out beyond the side of the box because of the mounting required to clear the starter backplate assembly.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Exhaus15

The whole thing mounts directly and soley to the engine and fits snugly between carburettor and starter.

I have since made another one slightly thinner at 18mm and with an 8mm pipe which fits standard 8mm silicon exhaust tubing if required. I think you could even go as thin as 15mm for the box.

I have yet to try these which I will hopefully do this afternoon.

I'm off to make a fuel tank in zinc next....
Seeing as the MMIL is staying here indefinitely I shall be spending an indefinite amount of time making train parts.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 3:14 pm

A short film on test with another (not so good) modified carb.

Back to top Go down
tram47

tram47

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Arrow ça fonctionne Exclamation Exclamation
Arrow it works Exclamation Exclamation
cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 pm

A couple of small fuel tanks in glorious zinc, 40 cc and 60 cc which is about 2 fl oz and will usually last about 45 mins.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel10

The 60 cc tank and engine module on Baguley chassis amidst the clutter of loco building.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel11
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 pm

The original idea for this project - running parallel to Van's diesel was to build a near scale model of the Brissonneau Lotz Tramway Deux Sevres 030 locomotive.

After a great deal of fruitless time spent trying to create scale workable and presentable louvres (nearly 200 are required on this model) I have decided to put on hold the bodywork for this prototype. The louvres are an essential feature and the model would look wrong without. When I can find a solution I will continue.

But keen to have another diesel running for the CFBS weekend I embarked on a different easier to make body to fit on the Accucraft chassis.

In glorious lustrous zinc of course.... Wink

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel12

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel13

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel14

I'm gradually getting the hang of soldering this material which is a different technique than brass. I find dabs of quickly applied moderate heat with lots of creamy flux best.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel15

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel16

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel17

Although not a scale prototype it is based on a mixture of styles; Billard/Moyse/Ateliers CFD.
And I wanted something that looked ugly!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Tropical roof, lift off doors and copper handrails.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel18

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel19

The 'tropical roof' is a vent for the engine instead of having a grill. Underneath is a big open hole of course. The lift off doors are to allow ventilation and to see things moving inside...see Troy's diesel post.
The copper handrails are actually 1.5mm copper clad steel welding rods. I bought a pack of 20 for 7 euros in the local DIY shop, a lot cheaper than brass rod from the model shops.
These rods can be bent more easily (cold) than brass for the same diameter which needs to be heated to make a 90° angle. And of course they can be soldered.

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
The copper handrails are actually 1.5mm copper clad steel welding rods. I bought a pack of 20 for 7 euros in the local DIY shop, a lot cheaper than brass rod from the model shops.
These rods can be bent more easily (cold) than brass for the same diameter which needs to be heated to make a 90° angle. And of course they can be soldered.

Now that's a brilliant idea and a lot stiffer than copper which I've used in the past!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 am

Not much progress the last few days but trying to run these 'diesels' in the cold below 0°C I find very difficult. Even pre-warming the engine with a hairdryer doesn't help very much.

I'm trying to run-in two engines at the moment and these Kyosho GX12 can be pretty temperamental until they've run through at least two or three full tanks or about 150cc of fuel.

I find they flood very quickly. I did mange a half-tank run this morning but it was a pig to start. I have a blister on my 'secong pull cord finger'. pale

Plus too the nicad/nimh glow starter's performance deteriorates in the cold. I have an old 5Ah lead acid battery which is much more resistant.

I will have to find some tips for cold starting. study

I also took the flywheel off one engine that is not fitted with a clutch but refitted the flywheel/crankshaft spigot now packed out with a few 5mm bore washers to take up the flywheel space. The engine seemed to run smoother (when it eventually started) with less vibration.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 5:33 pm

What a difference a day makes. Smile

Another 30 minute run-in on about 50cc of rich fuel and the engine has loosened up quite considerably.
The temperature is important and I've searched some of the RC forums for advice and people's experiences. It seems that the colder outside temperatures require a richer setting.

Most glow plug engines should be run at about water boiling point; 100°C/212°F and a simple way to test is to put a few drops of water on the cylinder head where the glowplug is and see what happens.
If it evaporates instantly it's too hot and obviously if it just sits there it's too cold.

I'm using 10% nitromethane fuel for 'rookies' with a high oil content at the moment. Anything above 20% nitromethane for these small engines is not recommended.

I've also rebuilt the power unit installation and this may end up in Van's diesel depending on performance.

On Van's diesel I was getting some vibration and movement across the angle of the mounting thus affecting the meshing of the engine and motor pinions.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Vandd010

So instead of an angle I've used part of a box section with M4 support rods. This makes a perfectly rigid and square structure.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel10

I also fell out of love with the second channel servo operated reversing switch (sorry Troy) and have gone back to single channel control.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel11

The 3 phase output from the BLDC is connected directly to the 3 sets of diodes on a PCB which also forms the reversing commutator. The connection from the servo arm wiper then goes to a manual DPDT centre off switch which selects generator or track power. Either way you turn the servo from neutral centre the throttle will open. Turning one way the wiper contacts will be +ve/-ve and turning the other way reverses the polarity.

Plus I've made small plug and socket connectors so that the whole power plant can be removed and the track power and motor can be connected directly.

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
As mentioned elswhere the Kyosho GX12 carb is often silly money as a spare part but other less branded carbs seem to come up at a cheaper price.

Any advice on suitable carbs appreciated. I now have two GX12's heading my way, but from reviewing the various live diesel threads and searching Diesel 4 - Page 2 969897 I can't find any, even at silly prices!
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 am

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Brian, if you do the bidding I will receive in the UK and forward to you.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 5:24 pm

David Grantham wrote:
Brian, if you do the bidding I will receive in the UK and forward to you.
Thx David, I'll see how I get on!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Could you guys let me know what the going rate for one of these is? I've no idea, I've seen prices up to 50 euros scratch
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Don't pay more than about 12 euros.....maybe 15 max.....
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 8:54 pm

More running in and consequent loosening up and I've now connected up the single channel servo control.

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel12
Throttle closed, servo arm in the centre position, wiper contacts in dead portion of PCB. No contact between rectifier output and traction motor.
Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel13
Servo arm rotated clockwise, throttle open, wiper contacts are +ve/-ve.
Diesel 4 - Page 2 Diesel14
Servo arm rotated anti-clockwise, throttle open, wiper contacts are -ve/+ve.

The blue wires are the output to the traction motor via a manual DPDT switch to allow track pick up and an off position so that the engine can be throttled with no current passing.

Some video as well....
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Unfortunately my bid was blocked at the last minute because I'm in France! Should have let you bid on my behalf David i was prepared to go to £15 but the winner got it for a fiver - we'll know better next time! How frustrating!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 pm

That was a very good price. They normally go for at least twice that.

This is the problem with 'global' e bay....It won't let you bid on something unless the seller agrees postage to your country location.
It doesn't allow you to bid and say that you will supply a UK or different delivery address.

You can change your address in account settings and even provide several addresses but one has to be the primary.

However many people will only sell to the Paypal account address anyway.

I can't see why people won't post to France. They should be oblidged to. It's often no different to posting to a UK address.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
More running in and consequent loosening up and I've now connected up the single channel servo control.

The blue wires are the output to the traction motor via a manual DPDT switch to allow track pick up and an off position so that the engine can be throttled with no current passing.

A very elegant solution - I'll try and go that route!
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Whats the latest thinking on clutches. Do we need more experience of working without them to see if this strains the engine and pull start or are the advantages of having a clutch immediately worth the extra complexity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel 4   Diesel 4 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diesel 4
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next