Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Free Tail Marker Discs

Go down 
+2
Carl Hibbs
clive_t
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Free Tail Marker Discs Empty
PostSubject: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 2:31 pm

A Christmas tip (although valid all year round these days), when you buy an oven ready turkey, most of them come with a red and white circular plastic indicator on a probe that is pressed into the meat. The red part will pop-up when the turkey is cooked properly.
First eat the turkey, cut the probe from the disc and use a dab of glue to stop the red falling apart from the white (as the probe held the two coloured parts together) .... then chose your own method of attaching to rear wagon. A dab of blue tack allows the disc to be moved between stock.

santa

Last edited by MzB on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 2:37 pm

What if we don't like turkey? Very Happy

Seriously, do you have a pic of one*? It might be a worthwhile exercise to ask around to see if anyone else near me has these things.

*An indicator, not a turkey, obviously
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Diagram below shows how the pop-up timer works ... on the left is a pop-up timer before cooking, and on the right is the same timer after it has popped up. Blue inset shows the item around actual size.
The soft metal (D in the diagram) is solid at room temperature and starts to melt at about 185 degrees F (85 degrees C). When the metal turns to a liquid, it releases its grip of the end of the red stick that had been trapped in the metal. The spring pops the red stick up and you know the turkey is done! They are quite accurate.
These timers are free with your turkey and already inserted in the optimum place (no it isn't there !). One little-known fact is that these timers are reusable. If you dip the tip in boiling water, it will re-melt the metal and you can push the pop-up piece back into the metal. Then let it cool, and the pop-up piece will be back in its original position -- ready to use again, either in another turkey or on your G scale railway. I chopped the probe off mine but you could keep it intact and mount under the buffer perhaps.

:rendeer:

Free Tail Marker Discs Popup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 4:37 pm

... and a gratuitous pic of the item in place on one of my wagons ....

Arrow

Free Tail Marker Discs Taillampsm
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 8:19 pm

Absolutely amazing.......Inginuity. Shocked

They're just right for Continental stuff......or should that be stuffing. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Paul Stainz Holt

Paul Stainz Holt

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Great tip Andy.
I need a couple of those. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://linzgstadtbahn.webs.com/
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 3:01 pm

MzB wrote:
A Christmas tip (although valid all year round these days), when you buy an oven ready turkey, most of them come with a red and white circular plastic indicator on a probe that is pressed into the meat. The red part will pop-up when the turkey is cooked properly.
First eat the turkey, cut the probe from the disc and use a dab of glue to stop the red falling apart from the white (as the probe held the two coloured parts together) .... then chose your own method of attaching to rear wagon. A dab of blue tack allows the disc to be moved between stock.

santa

Brilliant idea but sadly haven't seen them on Turkeys sold in France.

In fact haven't seen whole turkey sold much here at all!

Had to buy a frozen prepared breast last Xmas fro Aldi.

So if anyone has spares ??? jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm

santa Sort of off topic, but Turkeys seem to appear in the shops in France just the week before Christmas usually fresh and with a pedigree of what they were fed on and where they came from, very rural and quite nice really. santa
Back to top Go down
Spule 4

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Great......

I threw two of these out over Thanksgiving before putting the birds in my smoker for a few hours (I like real thermometers when it comes to food thank you).

If I knew they had a railway application.

A shame we are having ham for Christmas!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free Tail Marker Discs   Free Tail Marker Discs Empty

Back to top Go down

Free Tail Marker Discs
Page 1 of 1