Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Diesel tram

Go down 
+5
GWhizz
Paulus
tram47
David Grantham
Carl Hibbs
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Clockwork Annie

Diesel tram - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diesel tram   Diesel tram - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Good ventilation is essential when working with galvanised sheet, but at soldering temperatures it's quite safe.

I purchased the 4x8ft sheet of galvanised steel sheet I use for models from a small sheet metal manufacturing business. It had been dropped on one corner so it didn't fit their production machinery anymore which meant that I got it pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel tram   Diesel tram - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 5:31 am

What causes the horrible stuff...is it the zinc in galvanising?.... affraid

It could be an issue to be aware of if perhaps silver soldering or brazing with a torch is involved.

I think I'll try a small piece though and see how it soft solders to ordinary zinc.

Annie, do you have any more pics of other models and construction?
Back to top Go down
Clockwork Annie

Clockwork Annie

PostSubject: Re: Diesel tram   Diesel tram - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:14 am

Over the years I built such things from galvanised steel such as tipper wagons, a 10mm scale 'Sir Haydan', a 10mm scale Irish tank engine, a 16mm scale Barclay saddle tank as well as making the odd part to repair tinplate locos. Unfortunately due to a difficult time financially these have all been sold off and I don't think I have photos of them anymore. Diesel tram - Page 2 509698

This GWR loco (also sold) is one I built from a mix of tinplate and galvanised steel sheet. I've had a good hunt around for photos and this is the only one I could find.
Diesel tram - Page 2 0-14xx

For a long time I didn't own a decent camera and on top of that I always seemed to forget to take pictures of anything I made. As an example I made all manner of late 19th Century finescale railway models in P4 when I was a young woman, including completely scratchbuilt locos in brass and I don't have a single photograph of any of them.

I like working in galv steel actually, - it cuts easily with a piercing saw for the fiddly bits and a good sharp pair of Gilbows takes care of the rest. Because steel doesn't conduct heat in the same way that brass does it's a lot easier to solder together complex assemblies and add to earlier work without the whole lot collapsing in a molten lump. I'm planning on building a 16mm Baguley IC loco soon and that bodyshell will certainly be constructed from galv steel. This time I will remember to take pictures.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel tram   Diesel tram - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 9:24 am

I think I can put the tools away on this now. It is just about complete as I want it with lamps and handrails. The lamps are made from 12mm plumbing pipe end caps with a white led inside, the cathode lead soldered to the body so only a single wire required and using the body as a negative.

It was an interesting exercise in zinc and I shall now start the body for the Brissoneau 030 box cab.
But I still haven't found a decent way to make louvres easily in metal. If anyone has any new ideas I shall be grateful.

Diesel tram - Page 2 Diesel19

Diesel tram - Page 2 Diesel20

It need to build a new exhaust pipe though for the diesel, although I'm moving away from creating an efficient silencer (not that I was too bothered anyway...) At Railexpo the more noise the better!
Back to top Go down
Clockwork Annie

Clockwork Annie

PostSubject: Re: Diesel tram   Diesel tram - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 10:34 am

Nearly every loco I've ever built has been a steam outline model so I'm afraid I don't really have much of an idea as to the best way to make louvers. I have heard of people making a shaped punch that fits into a die to press out rows of louvers, only shaping both parts accurately enough to cleanly shape the louver without bucking or bending the bodyside wouldn't exactly be easy.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to say what a fine model your tram loco is.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel tram   Diesel tram - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 10:57 am

Clockwork Annie wrote:
I have heard of people making a shaped punch that fits into a die to press out rows of louvers, only shaping both parts accurately enough to cleanly shape the louver without bucking or bending the bodyside wouldn't exactly be easy.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to say what a fine model your tram loco is.
Thanks!

The die and punch method seems the best and favoured but the guys (and girls....) who have done that are often skilled modellers who have mill machined these items. My milling ability combined with deteriorating eyesight and patience means another way really, although I had some minor success with a hand cut hardwood die and an old chisel. rabbit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diesel tram   Diesel tram - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diesel tram
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2