Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

FR & WHR Funkeys

Go down 
+2
Carl Hibbs
midwalesstokie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 9:52 pm

As mentioned in another thread, I have built models of the two Funkey diesels running on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways. The unrebuilt loco, Castell Caernarfon is built on a Piko 218 chassis, not strictly accurate but I had it to hand. Vale of Ffestiniog was built from plastic using the locolines card kit as a guide. This is powered by a pair of LGB Stainz chassis.

Both are battery radio controlled and are not scale models by a long way but I think are a fair representation of the real things.

Can anybody help me to post photos? They're not hosted anywhere, just on my PC but it's telling me the limit is 1kb.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 5:52 am

James, you need to host them somewhere.
There is no direct hosting on this forum but there is an associated service called 'servimg'.

When you join the forum you should get automatic access to this hosting service which is linked.

There are 2 image icons in the tool bar the first of which is a link to servimg and facilitates the upload from your pc to the hosting service. The second icon is actually to insert (the URL of) a hosted image into your post.

Try it, see what happens and let me know.

You can also use other hosting services and insert photos with their URLs using the second icon.
Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Ok, thanks Carl. Hopefully, here they are.

[img]FR & WHR Funkeys Dscf1012[/img]

[img]FR & WHR Funkeys Dscf1211[/img]
Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Whilst I'm at it. here's a photo of my disesl progress. The motor is from an electric tyre inflator and generates between 6v & 12v depending on engine revs. Not sure if it's strong enough to turn the engine over, I haven't tried that yet. The biggest problem is the noise, it's just far too noisy so a proper silencer is the next job. Any ideas on the best type?

[img]FR & WHR Funkeys Dscf2410[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Whilst I'm online,I'll reply to this.The noise issue is a bit of a debate.I love it because it is a small engine doing it's bit.Exhaust fumes and the noise are great fun.If it's muted too much it lacks impact.With the steam engines,you can add chuff pipes ect to enhance the steam sound but with live diesel .....enjoy the noise!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 pm

It's great to see interesting, different and impressive things on the forum.

And another diesel fan. I love you

I agree with Troy (of course) and the noise to me is part of it. Especially as I have found running on the portable layout inside a hall where the rasping sound resonates and is echoed.
Most people are drawn to this animated spectacle.

I can understand however in the confines of a terrace garden on an estate that any excessive noise can be nuisance. But here in rutal France there is often the background noise of agricultural machinery anyway.

If you do want to supress the noise completely it can be done. I connected about a metre of silicon tubing to the exhaust and coiled it up loosely. Result; a very muted flat farting sound.
Wooden baffle boxes with foam work well too.

A few questions:
How do you start your diesel? How does that universal coupling behave? I tried one once which shattered after a couple of runs.
What make and size of engine is it?

Good luck for the progress.

Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 pm

I don't want to suppress the noise completely but I do want to quieten it a bit. As well as running at home, I also run at the model engineering track in Cardiff and if I ran the engine in this state it would scare everyone away!

At the moment I start it using a cordless drill. I have a pull start but its easier to use the drill for now. I'm not sure what I'll use in the long term, I'll think about that later.

The universal coupling seems ok. It doesn't have much force on it though as it's not used for starting the engine. If it fails, I'll try and make one out of a solid bar.

The engine is a CEN NX15L and the size is .15ci or 2.5cc.

My interest with live diesels is all your fault Carl after reading about your Monster on GSM (remember that?) and I've had the idea in my head ever since.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 5:56 am

midwalesstokie wrote:

My interest with live diesels is all your fault Carl after reading about your Monster on GSM (remember that?) and I've had the idea in my head ever since.

Oh dear...Shocked

Yes I do James, and I seem to recall dicussing it with you now. It is good to see that developed.

I really wish we could have a 'diesel day' somewhere in the future (even in the UK) where people bring along their projects (fiinished or not) and we can have a sort of open workshop and share ideas.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 am

Great idea Very Happy

I would attend anywhere but how about a French channel port like Caen/Ouistreham.

I would be happy to present my speciality subject which is "how to get a 4 stroke connected to a brushed motor and cause catastrophic coupling failure".
Very Happy

Today I will be visiting a machine shop in Nuneaton to get a HTD pulley modified to connect my IC to DC. This is the last throw of the dice to connect a 4 stroke to a DC starter/generator. If this fails I will have to resort to a 2 stroke pull start but still optimistic that a belt drive will work.
Back to top Go down
antonr91

antonr91

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:43 pm

James, nice to see another diesel coming together, have we got a number now on how many diesels there are on this forum?....Carl? bounce

Im amazed that your plastic universal joint works for you, as i tried that as the first way to attach my motor to the generator, and it shattered the minute the engine fired up....nearly took my eye out!

Would you be willing to make a video, so we could hear how noisy it really is? Ive tried a few different types of exhaust myself, and what ive found as well as Carl saying to me: noise really isnt as much of a problem as most people make out, usually on videos, the camera picks up the noise far better then what it actually sounds like in real life, plus the camera is often chasing the loco around, but on a medium layout, especially outside, they dont seem to be much of a problem at all.

I remember in france, i believe it was the noise ans smoke the got the visitors attracted Laughing

And as you most probably all know, as i drone on about it enough, i am up for coming somewhere for a diesel meet, especially as it would hopefully give me somehwere to run, and give me the kick up the backside to get my other to Diesels complete.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=599011689
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi Anton, yes I'll sort a video out and post it here. It's noisy enough to make my ears ring but perhaps that says more about the state of my ears!! I ran it in the garden the other day and my wife, who was in the house with the doors and windows shut banged, on the window to tell me it was too loud, again this might say more about my wife than the engine but I'm not brave enough to argue it!

Any silencer will be removable anyway so it can always be run in its natural state.
Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Well, the coupling lasted about 30 minutes before shattering! The power put out by these nitro engines is something I've not experienced before, it's quite impressive. So, I'm making a solid brass coupling which should be adequate.

In the meantime I've made a silencer using a lengthy piece of pipe and got all the relevant bits to add r/c to the engine so soon I should be able to have some sort of test run.
Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Well, with a solid brass coupling manufactured, I was finally in a position to test it all. The good news is that it works! I ran it in the garage fastened to the bench and my homemade silencer meant my 6 month old son, asleep upstairs, is still asleep! A video of the event is below.

Anyway, the multimeter showed that between 6.5v and over 12v was being generated and I was able to vary this quite smoothly. After coming close to giving up earlier when everything seemed to break, I'm now hugely encouraged and will dig out a locomotive to fasten it all to.

The 6.5v will be enough to activate the speed controller so I'm hopeful that it all should work. The only unkown is how the electric motor will cope with a prolonged run but there's only one way to find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2pmTBj-MfE&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Brilliant pioneering, not unlike mine when I first began. I love you

A few questions:

How did you start the nitro engine?

Is the electric motor bolted down firm or is it allowed to float, if the latter how have you done it?

Who made the solid brass coupling?

Railexpo starts on Friday.....You have 6 days to get this finished. FR & WHR Funkeys 24486

See you in Paris. Wink
Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Carl, the nitro engine is started with a cordless drill. The electric motor might be able to turn the engine over, I'll have to try it but I've got a pullstart too.

The brass coupling was made by a friend in the Cardiff model engineering society. I had to file a flat onto the engine shaft for it to grip enough but it seems to work.

The electric motor is bolted down but it is loose enough to cope with any vibrations. I don't know how it will stand up to prolonged use so I'm thinking about making something more substantial.

Hmm, Paris, I'd love to go but I'll have to make do with some video!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Sorry to be persistant but how exactly did you start it with a cordless drill; via the flywheel and a rubber ring in the drill or with a crankshaft adaptor?
Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 11:33 pm

No problem Carl, I just use a nut out of a pull start (not sure of the technical term but it only grips one way) and a socket adapted to fit into the drill. It's very crude but it works.
Back to top Go down
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 11:21 am

Well, after almost a year of inactivity on this project, I have decided to restart it. The original project worked - it did one lap but my engineering was the weak point and it never really worked properly, it tended to shake itself to pieces. I now however have a lathe and more confidence to build it properly so I'm having another go. The chassis is almost complete with the bits bolted on and once I get the receiver for the r/c, a test run will be in the offing. Although i was a bit fed up with it, I never really forgot about it and there was always a nagging feeling that it had defeated me! Now hopefully I will win.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Look forward to seeing some pics on progress!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
midwalesstokie

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Yes I'm in Majorca at the moment but a test run is scheduled for when I get back and no doubt pictures will follow!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FR & WHR Funkeys Empty
PostSubject: Re: FR & WHR Funkeys   FR & WHR Funkeys Empty

Back to top Go down

FR & WHR Funkeys
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: