Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brian's Live Diesel

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
GWhizz

Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Carl some more advice required...

As I shall soon (hopefully) have a couple of engines to run in, my mind is turning to the other stuff I'll need...

5mm Pinion for the BLDC motor

Nitro Fuel (what %)

Glow plug heater

Fuel tank (ultimately I'll try and build one like yours but for testing)

Fuel Filler

Fuel Filter

Exhaust (ultimately I'll try and build one like yours but for testing)

Anything else you'd recommend

Can you recommend a ONE STOP supplier in France where I can order all these items, trying to source things seperately just isn't cost effective postage wise!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 pm

I think everything is on the forum Brian.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 7:48 pm

I have tried to list most resources but if anyone know of any others....?

To get the best prices and equipment it is often necessary to shop around. The pinion gear prices can vary by double and the postage charges too. Most small items from the UK can be sent 'small airmail packet' which costs £2.50.
Blacksmith models are pretty good for many items, pinion, air and fuel filter, exhaust for example.

I don't know of any one stop (internet) shop for all the items. It is favourable to find a local model shop if possible that can help and for fuel (can't usually be sent by post). I have two in Evreux that are quite good.

I also found this new place near Angouleme:

http://www.modelismeplaisir.kingeshop.com

Not on your list Brian is radio gear. Hobbyking are undoubtedly the place for that but for shipping charges.

BTW, a square 4 cell 4.8v Nicad/Nimh shrink pack fits exactly between the Baguley frames. I posted a pic somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Also out of interest there is a new GX12 complete with carb, clutch and exhaust etc. for sale.
BIN 69€ plus 13€ postage. This is in my view about the top going price for complete GX12 engines on e bay.

Kyosho GX12 complete
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Actually the 2.4G radio gear is the one thing I had before I started the project - and yes sourced from Hobbyking.

I have spent much time trawling through the many posts on "Live Diesel" and they've all proved very useful. It was just the hope that there was a "Single Source" as postage costs are a killer when you live in the wilds of Western France.

However finding a model shop in Ruelle is a real find - what search terms / pages jaune did you use Carl? I've always drawn a blank in the past! I must have driven past the place many times as it's on the way to the "Hotel des Impots" - bizarre!

Anyway thanks again! Please don't think it's laziness on my part, it's just that all the info is on the forum, but spread over so many posts.

BUT PLEASE as a novice where is the recommendation on what fuel Nitro% to use?????

www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 8:39 pm

.... the fuel.

I would advise 16% to start with. It's a lower performance mixture and better for running in. You can use up to 20% but if that is all you can get then run the engine a little richer.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:04 am

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 6:35 pm

To clutch or not to clutch? This is the question!

I have, as recommended, ordered a couple of Kyosho clutches and will hold off ordering a pinion for the BLDC's (which I now have) from Blacksmith in Reading until I'm in receipt of same and can count the teeth and be sure of meshing.

HOWEVER, I note Carl that on both Diesel4 and Van's you haven't fitted one scratch

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Van's Seychelles diesel power unit doesn't have a clutch (at the moment).
Diesel 4 will have one.
I'm still testing and evaluating.

You have to wade through the threads to see why.

In brief....
Not fitting a clutch simplifies things, less components to worry about and you can use any gears that mesh and that have a 5mm dia. hole.
However the alignment needs to be more accurate and there is more gear noise.
There is also more load on the engine when starting.
And obviously being a permanent connection the generator is producing electricity immediately on engine tickover.

With a clutch there seems to be a tiny amount of tolerance in the meshing. You can only use module 1 gears.
Less load when starting the engine and there is a take up before the generator is engaged.

If you remove the clutch spring the shoes engage quicker (and slip less) resulting in almost nil take up.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 am

If going the non clutch route, have you considered a Cardan coupling (I think that's a form of UJ?)?? The pinions aren't providing gearing and would simplify things even further scratch

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:46 am

We've tried most 'fixed' couplings Brian.

Cardan shafts and universal joints (so far tried) cannot handle the high rpm involved.

The direct gearing works and is satisfactory but needs improving in terms of accurate mesh alignment, eliminating vibration (which causes noise). I have done this with Van's and I'm waiting for milder weather (above the present miserable 0°C) to do some more testing.

By using gears you can select the ratio and change the performance.
Smaller gear on engine, larger gear on motor or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm

Received my two complete clutches this morning - everything is so much easier to understand when you have the real items in your hands rather than going from plans and pictures! I think I'll replace the plastic shoes with aluminium and run without the spring!

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:08 pm

It's taken a while, but I think I've finally assembled enough parts and materials to start testing the GX12's bounce

Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 Parts10

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:26 pm

Good gracious Shocked

That is really preparing everything beforehand.

I think you might have missed a rivet though. Laughing

If you don't mind I will use this picture on the diesel web page as it is very clear.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
If you don't mind I will use this picture on the diesel web page as it is very clear.

I thought it might be useful there, that's why I labelled it up!

Won't be doing much more on this until after Ferrovi'art, concentrating on finishing touches to the "Mine De Vine" at the moment...

Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 14981910

Back to top Go down
Tacbob

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Really nice layout Smile.

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 pm

First run of a GX12. Like Carl, I'm really enamoured of these little engines!!!

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 am

Splendid, and it started so easily. Your workshop temperature is obviously warmer than mine at the moment!

Don't forget to run it in though.

Another diesel for the CFBS in April..... Wink
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Having run in the engine, and fabricated a rectifier to the "Hibbs Patent" I tried the BLDC on a test rig this morning.

Running with 12 teeth on the BLDC pinion it produced 16.7 volts at max revs - ideal I think.

I've learnt how rigid and accurate the pinion meshing between clutch and BLDC has to be Crying or Very sad On the first test run the engine vibrated out of alignment and melted the nylon clutch shoes. Have now substituted with Alu shoes and with everything bolted down tight runs fine!

Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 Img_1721

Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Well done and good progress Brian. Much more fun than building Ikea wardrobes.
Back modelling next month.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Great work. Not my patent though I'm afraid.....I copied this idea too!

Bring this along for Ferrovi'art Brian if you can. We can have a look and play if we get time.

I'm bringing Van's diesel for a trial since rebuild and mods.
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Great work. Not my patent though I'm afraid.....I copied this idea too!

You're talking to an ex marketing man! We had a motto- "Why Devise when you can Plagiarize"

I'm also copying your exhaust idea, progress so far...

Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 Ex110

Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 Ex210

You see, us "Late Adopters" can benefit from the years of development experience others have put in! (I've only just bought my first SMARTPHONE)

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Having had the benefit of loads of "hands on" with Carls' live diesels over the weekend, I took the opportunity to lash together a test rig which went well on the first few runs...

After the video however I switched to my home built exhaust which fell apart due to vibration and subsequently stripped all the gears from the Kyosho soft metal clutch bell housing Sad

C'est la vie.

However, overall, I'm very happy with progress to date and I think after investing in a hardened metal bell housing all will be well Laughing

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Brilliant, it works, a proven success. I'm really pleased.

Welcome to the (2 stroke Wink ) diesel locomotive club. king

Just improvements now.

Fête vapeur...????

Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Fête vapeur...????

"Peut etre" BUT will there be room in the car????

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Even if it's half ready we'll make room somehow!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Live Diesel   Brian's Live Diesel - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brian's Live Diesel
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: Live Diesel-
Jump to: