Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways

Go down 
+7
Sparkeswood
David Grantham
fm12
GWhizz
mike
Paulus
Carl Hibbs
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Empty
PostSubject: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 6:22 pm

As promised for Van I agreed to build a diesel for him based on the tried and well tested formula in use.

The machine will be based around the Accucraft Baguley Chassis which Van has supplied.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vand0010

The power plant will be the proven Kyosho GX12, seen here on bench test and running in.
This one started almost first turn straight 'out of the box' and ran sweetly on a slightly rich mixture for half an hour!
The more I use these engines the more I like them!

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vand0011

The body will be a freelance style as I have a blank canvas...well sheets of supplied brass.

Last edited by Carl Hibbs on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 2:36 pm

A basic cardboard body mock up just to get the dimensions and see how much space is really needed.

I would like to try and move away from the box cab arrangement and I started thinking about Rustons and Hudswell Clarkes that were built in many gauges and types.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vand0012

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vand0013

I can with some creative positioning fit all the elements in the bonnet space.
There is still a little space between the chassis frames for small items if required.
Back to top Go down
Paulus

Paulus

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 10:17 am

Looks promising!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:07 pm

I've been busy with the brass the last few days. Laughing

Bodywork in progress while I wait for some parts from Hong Kong.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo10
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo11
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo12
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo13
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo15
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo16
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo17
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo18
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo19
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo20
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo21
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo22Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo23
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo24
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo25
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo26
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo27
Back to top Go down
mike

mike

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Very Happy dam nice..i can do the rough holes..but after that it tends to stay the same.. or worse
seruisely nice bit off brass work
Back to top Go down
http://www.lazygrangebay.co.uk/
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks Mike. This brass is very good quality 'semi-hard' and quite difficult to cut especially compared to zinc! It does solder very easily though without too much cleaning and flux.
Most of the soldering is very solid and built up in the corners for added strength.

Here it is in comparison with an Accucraft Caradoc.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandbo28

It is a little bigger but then these old (3ft...?) colonial railways had large loading gauges.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Some more progress today focussing on assembling the power plant now that fresh motor supplies have arrived from Hong Kong!

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd010
I tried individual rubber mounts which although reasonably successful this idea is better, a hard rubber/foam cushion cut from an old mouse mat.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd011
I am using a 910KV motor as a generator with the shaft pushed through the backplate and mounted in reverse.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd012
Clearances are a bit close, but ok! There is very little play and movement.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd013
Everything fits in. In fact I could have reduced the bonnet height by about 5mm.
The fuel tank prodrudes a little way into the cab and I'll paint this black and disguise the filler pipe as a brake handle or something.
Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd016

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd014

The open holes not hidden with the sliding doors will be covered in mesh.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd015
I decided to use the module 0.8 gears to save space, 12t and 14t.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd017
Still plenty of cab room. I'll probably make some sort of backscreen on which to add some detailing.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd018
And finally with 6mm dia exhaust pipe extension fitted.

Radio gear next.....
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:48 pm

That Van is one lucky b*****r !

I haven't even had time to start getting the bits for mine yet!
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 pm

I maybe able to sort an engine out for you.... Wink
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:
I maybe able to sort an engine out for you.... Wink
That would be fantastic, but I probably won't seriously start this project for a month or two as like you, I'd like to base it on a Baguley chassis!
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 9:04 pm

If you base it on a Baguley chassis then obviously follow what's done here.... if it works of course...!

I have another one on the go for myself (Diesel 4) based on a Baguley chassis too.

Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 pm

Fitting some radio control gear today.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd019
A change from what I have done on the last models. This servo (of two fitted) controls just the engine speed. The engine throttle is spring loaded so that it returns to idle.
The advantages are that you can operate the throttle to start, rev up etc without using the r/c as there is no permanent connection to the servo. Also there is a safety issue with the servo returning to idle. The spring is soft enough however to allow a slow return.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd020
The second servo operates directly an unusual switch, double pole-triple throw with a centre 'off' position. This will act as a reversing switch between the rectifier output and the traction motor. However this switch unlike a DPDT has a connection at 'centre off' which I will used to switch in the track powered pick up. I'm trying to work out some exterior visual indication for this.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd021
Just to show the vertical view of the installation so far.
I need to make a supporting shelf or bracket for the diode rectifier to sit above the motor and get rid of the giant block connector!
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Crikey does it come with a technical book plus a user guide. scratchstudy
Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:37 pm

GWhizz wrote:
That Van is one lucky b*****r !

I haven't even had time to start getting the bits for mine yet!

Smiley.
Yes Brian you are right.Tried to add a smiley but cannot when using quotes,hence I`ve typed two in.

Smiley
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 am

fm12 wrote:
Crikey does it come with a technical book plus a user guide. scratchstudy

I will produce a user guide, don't worry but I've tried to make the operation as straightforward (not necessarily simple...) as possible hence no clutch and the 2 servo operation.
I'll give you a copy of the Kyosho engine manual too.
And if you want you can't take out extended warranty and after sales service.Laughing

The start up guide will go something like this:

Prime the engine with fuel.
Connect/switch on radio, tx first then rx, making sure ch1 throttle is at idle, and ch2 'fwd/off/rev' is in the centre 'off' position.
Connect glo plug starter.
Start engine.
When warm remove glo plug starter.
Replace loco body - it just sits on the chassis.
Set ch2 to 'fwd' or 'rev' = connects rectifier output to traction motor. (centre off connects traction motor to track pick up).
Operate ch1 throttle and locomotive will move away!

There is a still a bug with the smileys for 'editing' and 'quotes' but 'replies' are ok.

For editing and quotes you can drag the smiley across and remove the javascript.
For example:
javascript:emoticonp('Idea')
Remove - javascript:emoticonp(' ') = Idea
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 9:10 am

Brilliant stuff. Someone said I had a body like Carl's, if only that was true I would be delighted. Carl you have set a challenging benchmark for your disciples, well done.

Dont know if I posted this link before

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/home.html

Some great products and some valuable wiring diagrams for electronics philistines like myself. They will build you any sort of relay, mine was £23 for a double pole double throw switch, but of course Carl's solution of a switch connected to a servo may be cheaper/better/smaller ?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 5:22 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:
Fitting some radio control gear today.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd019
A change from what I have done on the last models. This servo (of two fitted) controls just the engine speed. The engine throttle is spring loaded so that it returns to idle.
The advantages are that you can operate the throttle to start, rev up etc without using the r/c as there is no permanent connection to the servo. Also there is a safety issue with the servo returning to idle. The spring is soft enough however to allow a slow return.

It's probably me? But I can 't see from the pic how the servo arm extension is engaging with the throttle in a non-permanent way?
Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 am

Carl Hibbs wrote:

It's not directly connected.It's just an arm Brian.

Glad you're using the double pole switch reverse Carl.It's been on mine since the start and works very well.
Back to top Go down
David Grantham

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 10:42 am

Why is it an advantage to be able to rev up without r/c ?

What is the safety issue with the servo returning to idle ?

Tx
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 11:18 am

Sparkeswood wrote:
It's not directly connected.It's just an arm Brian.

I can see that ! But from the pic it looks like the arm is the wrong side of the throttle to actuate it away from the spring!!!

More stupid questions to follow. Bounce Smiley
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 pm

No stupid question here not even from Anton.... Wink joke! Laughing

The servo arm turns clockwise and pushes the bottom of the throttle arm anticlockwise (looking at it from this way) to open it. When you move the servo back the throttle arm returns to the closed idle position by the spring on the opposing angular side as the servo.

You can open and close the throttle by hand (watch fingers near flywheel/gears) without the radio control or servo in off/idle position. This can be useful when priming the engine - air filter off, throttle full open and finger over the orifice while turning engine over more slowly with pull start. Also for tuning and tweaking - setting idle and mixture and general maintenance.

The safety isssue is that if the servo and throttle are physically connected with no spring there is some risk of the throttle sticking wide open say if the linkage breaks. A spring helps ensure the throttle return to idle as default.

You don't have to do it like this. There are many other ways to connect servo and throttle even with a removable linkage.

My commutator reverse control will still continue but a separate changeover switch is simpler in operation and probably more suitable on this model.
Do you have pics of your DPDT switch and how it is linked to the servo Troy?
Are you using a toggle switch or sliding switch?
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Doh, I get it now - this is the axis of the throttle, never had these on my old free flight aircraft models the throttle was controlled by a needle valve, I have much to learn....

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Thrott10

Back to top Go down
Sparkeswood

Sparkeswood

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Carl Hibbs wrote:

Do you have pics of your DPDT switch and how it is linked to the servo Troy?
Are you using a toggle switch or sliding switch?

I was/will be again,using just a toggle switch.Forward,neutral,reverse.Neutral allowed me to rev the engine when needed.I drilled a hole through the toggle and a piece of brass rod connected it to the second servo.I used the slider adjustable bit (technical term) on my sender for channel 2 to control it as I did'nt need much travel on the servo arm. I shall use the same method as it worked so well.Basic but effective.
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:24 pm

More radio and electrical installation and more pics!

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd022
6 diode 3 phase rectifier. Output from BLDC motor soldered directly to input side of diodes!
These are 3 amp diodes to be safe but I have used 1 amp diodes on another locomotive with no problem.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd023
Traction motor and track pick up connection from reversing/selector switch.
These small wires sometimes break off when using screw terminal blocks so I soldered the wire ends into small pieces of tiny copper tube. I could have used small connectors but a screw terminal block is a good test point.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd024
Radio control installation nearing completion. The receiver antenna is temporarily taped to receiver until I find a good place for it. Battery pack yet to be fitted under cab floor between chassis rails.
The fuel tank is located by a single bolt fixing through an existing slot in the chassis.

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Vandd025
The cab is a little more cluttered now but still room for some detail and a Seychellian driver.

I don't think I'm far away from a running test although I have verified that each module or part functions separately, maybe this coming Sunday.

I haven't drilled any new holes in the Accucraft chasssis except to open out 2 3mm holes to 4mm which are used to mount the engine base plate.

Back to top Go down
fm12

fm12

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:25 pm

GWhizz wrote:
Doh, I get it now - this is the axis of the throttle, never had these on my old free flight aircraft models the throttle was controlled by a needle valve, I have much to learn....

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Thrott10

Keep up Brian.
You should know that when the piston moves the reverser activates, which in turn releases the brake so that the diodes will then charge the carb,this in turn electrifies the electric motor which then connects the piston with the crankshaft,press forward and of she goes.

SIMPLES.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways   Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways Empty

Back to top Go down

Diesel traction for the Seychelles Government Railways
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next