Continental Garden Trains
Guests can read but log in to post
Guests can read but log in to post
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the average enthusiast of trains in garden scale.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Looking for hardwood.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Looking for hardwood. Empty
PostSubject: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can get hardwood strips from.....I'm thinking of about 1/2" or 12mm square by 8" or 200mm

Ive been googling for ages but turned nothing up.

They'll be outside so must be rot proof. Obviously, I will treat them from time to time.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.
Back to top Go down
clive_t

clive_t

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptySun Dec 07, 2008 11:04 pm

John

Not sure if it would be what you're after, but I seem to remember that B&Q do wooden beading in various sections, including square. Mostly in pine of course, but I can't help but think that I've seen them do it in a darker wood as well.

I've used pine outside (OK I admit, lolly sticks and coffee stirrers!), but I treated it first with a thinned wood-preserver and then painted over the top with acrylics. It's been outside for the last 6 months and seems ok (so far)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAttlLHn3pZsTFrQUt00rgQ
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 10:43 am

John.

Just a thought. Have you tried any local joinery shop or better still if you have any cabinet makers or boat builders around? When I was gainfully employed I had stacks of hardwood off cuts around, so much that I had to burn mahogany and teak just to get rid of it.I
still have some but too far away to be of any sense sending them and you never know I will probably need them if I get rid of them.

peter
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:10 pm

John

Not sure this is much use to you, as you'd have to order from France?

But these guys sell a huge range of wood sections for model building...

www.octantenligne.com

Cheers Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.frenchgardenrailways.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 4:14 pm

John,

In France there seems to be a greater selection of wood than in the UK.
A visit to any local DIY store (magasin bricolage) such as Leroy Merlin or Castorama will reveal a plentiful selection of quality woods at affordable prices.

I've bought 2 metre lenghts of 12mm hardwood for a few euros each.

When you say hardwood what do you want to do with it and what exactly are you looking for? Ramin, beech, oak or maybe the 'exotic' semi hardwoods, you can buy real pine here which is pretty hard too.

I could always have a look in LM and price up what you want. If that's ok I could buy it, cut it to length if ness. and post it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
French Chuffed

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 4:26 pm

GWhizz wrote:
John

www.octantenligne.com

Cheers Brian

I don’t know about John! But it is a useful link for me THANKS. A bit like squires in the UK I will check out the prices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Believe it or not ..... Balsa is a hardwood.

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 7:04 pm

Here are some of the more popular woods translated.
If I have missed any then let me know.

English-French

Oak-chêne
Pine-pin
Deal/spruce-sapin
Beech-hêtre
Birch-bouleau
Cherry-cerisier
Maple-érable
Mahogany-acajou
Walnut-noyer
Cedar-cèdre
Ash-frêne
Ramin-ramin
Elm-orme
Hemlock-cigué
Laurel-laurier
Okume-okume
Sapele-sapele
Sycamore-sycamore
Willow-saule or osier (for a basket)

Plywood-contraplaque
Back to top Go down
http://www.cgtrains.com
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 pm

French Chuffed wrote:
GWhizz wrote:
John

www.octantenligne.com

Cheers Brian

I don’t know about John! But it is a useful link for me THANKS. A bit like squires in the UK I will check out the prices.

Actually it was already posted on here as L'OCTANT along with all the other great links!
Back to top Go down
GWhizz

GWhizz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Admin wrote:
John,

In France there seems to be a greater selection of wood than in the UK.
A visit to any local DIY store (magasin bricolage) such as Leroy Merlin or Castorama will reveal a plentiful selection of quality woods at affordable prices.

I've bought 2 metre lenghts of 12mm hardwood for a few euros each.

When you say hardwood what do you want to do with it and what exactly are you looking for? Ramin, beech, oak or maybe the 'exotic' semi hardwoods, you can buy real pine here which is pretty hard too.

I could always have a look in LM and price up what you want. If that's ok I could buy it, cut it to length if ness. and post it.

Carl I think the Parisian stores are better stocked than those in the "pays" our Castorama's at Limoges et Angouleme are particularly poor!

This is the first I've heard of LM but on checking, the nearest outlet is Poitiers about two hours away!

No specific requm't for hardwood at the mo as a mate had a load of floor tiles delivered and there were dozens of strips about 35mm x 5mm used as separators. If these are any use John I can forward some ( cut to length, they're about a metre at the mo)?

Cheers Brian
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 7:22 pm

L'octant are good, helpful people to deal with but it's a shame their shop is so far away.

They do a good mail order service and their catalogue is a must for serious modellers.
Of course I forgot to pick up the latest copy at RailExpo. monkey
Back to top Go down
Carl Hibbs
Admin
Carl Hibbs

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 pm

GWhizz wrote:

Carl I think the Parisian stores are better stocked than those in the "pays" our Castorama's at Limoges et Angouleme are particularly poor!

This is the first I've heard of LM but on checking, the nearest outlet is Poitiers about two hours away!

Cheers Brian

I have to say that I only really know the stores in Ile de France/Paris region.

We are really spoilt for choice round here, 4 branches of Leroy Merlin within a 15 minute drive and a giant Castorama 'depot'.

I suppose it's the same in the UK if you live in the suburbs there's a big DIY market.

No blooming model shops though. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 10:07 pm

Admin wrote:
John,

Thats a great offer, for which I thank you very much. I bought several GRS points a while ago, and spent a lot of time hacking the sleepers about to fix on LGB motors. This has not been entirely successful due to the GRS points being....stiffer, heavier than LGBs points. So Ive decided to demotor them, leave the trailers free and use a GRS manual lever on the facers. I Emailed GRS to enquire if they would supply the wood but they advised against mucking about with them.......well, I dont always take advice!...if I take the motor off and leave it they will look gash so I want to try to replace the previously butchered wood. There may be a way of cutting a piece to suit the missing length and splicing it together......or using a plate underneath out of sight. I'm no expert in wood but realise that it must be hardwood and the grain is very close. I figured that this would provide the best protection against rot. The set that I have not put any preservative on has faded to a grey colour...if that means anything to you. I only want to do it because I think they look so damn good!
Looking for hardwood. Dscf1716
Looking for hardwood. Dscf1717
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 10:17 am

Just a quick update:
Searching for "Hardwood" produced NO useful results
Searching for "Stripwood" produced LOTS of useful results!
I'm crap at computers........

Bought the required wood from this outfit. Excellent service BTW.

alwayshobbies
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for hardwood.   Looking for hardwood. Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for hardwood.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Continental Garden Trains :: Continental Garden Trains index :: News and Information-
Jump to: